The Student Room Group

Could a United States of Europe ever work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Look how badly fiscal union went i dread to think what a USE would be like...
the countries are just to incompatible, the western nations have their way of running things, the easterners their way, southerners theirs and lets not forget the north ... It may work in the future but in the near term, highly doubtful unless someone finds a way of over coming the numerous barriers.
Reply 21
Original post by Addzter
Exactly. Such a huge, culturally diverse state would probably devolve a lot of powers to the pre-USE nation states, with only certain things controlled by the federal government, such as defence, intelligence, monetary policy, etc. And the EU isn't exactly falling apart due to language barriers.

If we ever got a USE, it'd probably start off very similar to the EU now, and over time, as cultural and language barriers erode, the federal government would start to absorb more powers, and eventually you'd have something that resembles the United States, where the majority of citizens speak English, German or French.

:angry::angry: WTF

So you want it to go from the current EU (not working!) to the loss of other European languages and culture; and have 1 big orgy of people speaking 3 languages with the UK, France or Germany running things?

Never.
Original post by Ano1
:angry::angry: WTF

So you want it to go from the current EU (not working!) to the loss of other European languages and culture; and have 1 big orgy of people speaking 3 languages with the UK, France or Germany running things?

Never.

... :nothing:

Where have I said I'm in favour of a United States of Europe? Or even the current EU?
Reply 23
Original post by Addzter
... :nothing:

Where have I said I'm in favour of a United States of Europe? Or even the current EU?

I probably didn't see who you responded to.

Looking over the comment again, from an angle is seemed you where in favour. But you were stating what might happen.

I speak 2 euro-languages so took some offence :tongue: my bad.
Reply 24
Many things are possible. You would certainly have to impose it by force / ignore the democratic will of the people of Europe if you're planning on doing it any time soon.
Reply 25
Original post by Addzter
Plenty of countries have different regions that speak different languages; just look at Switzerland. Language certainly would't be a real barrier for a United States of Europe.

Especially when people in Scandinavia can speak perfect English for example. I can see there being 3 official languages; German, English and French rather than just one as suggested.
Reply 26
The problem regarding the Eurozone is monetary union without fiscal union and different economies within the Eurozone
Reply 27
Original post by Morgsie
The problem regarding the Eurozone is monetary union without fiscal union and different economies within the Eurozone

For the first time on matters regarding Europe; I agree with you. And this is essentially the reason why we shouldn't join it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
I have a better plan. Let countries make their own legitimate decisions and decide their own future individually..? Lets not look at what could work but what does.
The issue with the above is that it would take many years to incorporate that all over Europe. Yes the education system could be changed, but how do you expect every citizen over 18 to learn Esperanto, and be willing to do it when some may be very nationalistic and against a United States of Europe altogether?
Reply 30
of course it would not work. Europe's history has been nothing but wars over the last 500 years, apart from the last 60. And that was because america created the EU to form a union against communism.
Reply 31
Will not work in EU. US was formed after destroying native culture and encouraging immigrants to shed their past in order to assimilate. US has advantages in be a young country.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending