The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why does everyone hate Birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't know. Do you come from Birmingham?
Original post by *Corinna*
I don't hate Birmingham. There are some very pretty areas! Like selly oak and edgbaston. And the university is one of the nicest campuses I've seen in the UK.

Agree with this, except... Selly Oak? Pretty? Really????
Reply 22
Original post by facetious

I concur!.Now if they'd have said Sutton Coldfield, Edgbaston or Harborne that would have been different.But Selly Oak is nowhere near pretty.
Reply 23
What they mean is, the proportion of posh people to poor people, and million pound houses to council estates is lower in central Birmingham than in central London.

For a city of its size, it doesn't really punch its weight in terms of attractions and entertainment either if we're honest.
Reply 24
Oh OP is this because I was making fun of Birmingham making a bid to host the Olympics?
Reply 25
Original post by py0alb
What they mean is, the proportion of posh people to poor people, and million pound houses to council estates is lower in central Birmingham than in central London.

For a city of its size, it doesn't really punch its weight in terms of attractions and entertainment either if we're honest.

There's some great cultural stuff in Brum. Supersonic Festival and Capsule, Flatpack Film Festival, Mostly Jazz Festival, Moseley Folk Festival, all the stuff that came from the HoG/PCM/Third Eye lot etc
Reply 26

I'm often struck by the ethereal beauty of Rooster, the architectural wonder of Omco and the wondrous visual delight of Gunnies.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't hate Birmingham itself....but I do hate it's accent - sorry Birmingham dwellers
Reply 28
I don't. I dislike people like you who seem to think it's the best place on earth for no reason.
Original post by TRS-T
Seriously, everyone in this country seems to hate Birmingham.

People always saying how it's a ****hole or how dumb we sound with our accents.

What have we done to deserve this ill treatment?

Birmingham deserves respect as the Second City of the UK.

Because everyone knows London is the best city in the world, not just the UK. WHOOP WHOOOP!
Reply 30
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Napalm Death
DJ Surgeon
Scorn
Broadcast
Pram
Plone
Steel Pulse
UB40
Godflesh/Justin Broadrick/Dave Cochrane
Reply 31
Original post by Kibalchich
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Napalm Death
DJ Surgeon
Scorn
Broadcast
Pram
Plone
Steel Pulse
UB40
Godflesh/Justin Broadrick/Dave Cochrane

You forgot Ocean Colour Scene, they come from Moseley.
Reply 32
Original post by Kibalchich
There's some great cultural stuff in Brum. Supersonic Festival and Capsule, Flatpack Film Festival, Mostly Jazz Festival, Moseley Folk Festival, all the stuff that came from the HoG/PCM/Third Eye lot etc

All wonderful I'm sure, but its hardly bigger and better than what is available in Bristol or Sheffield or Liverpool or Manchester or Nottingham or Leeds or Newcastle or all the other English cities that its considerably bigger than.

My point is: given its population, Birmingham should feel much bigger and more dynamic and happening than those places. It should have a host of world class museums and art galleries. But it doesn't.

What's Birmingham good at? Highstreet chain shopping and the NEC. It doesn't even have a very big airport.

I quite like Brum, I grew up near it and have been there hundreds of times.
Reply 33
Original post by Annie72
You forgot Ocean Colour Scene, they come from Moseley.

they were **** though
Reply 34
Original post by py0alb
All wonderful I'm sure, but its hardly bigger and better than what is available in Bristol or Sheffield or Liverpool or Manchester or Nottingham or Leeds or Newcastle or all the other English cities that its considerably bigger than.

My point is: given its population, Birmingham should feel much bigger and more dynamic and happening than those places. It should have a host of world class museums and art galleries. But it doesn't.

What's Birmingham good at? Highstreet chain shopping and the NEC. It doesn't even have a very big airport.

I quite like Brum, I grew up near it and have been there hundreds of times.

Generally, Birmingham's cultural stuff has remained more underground and not publicised. This is a good thing, it allowed things like Capsule to flourish into Supersonic and why we had the best underground techno scene outside London.
What has Birmingham got that deserves respect? There is nothing in the city that you would want to go there for.
Reply 36
Original post by Sternumator
What has Birmingham got that deserves respect? There is nothing in the city that you would want to go there for.

I've just listed a few.
Reply 37
Because as part of Geography - I have to memorise all the facts about the regeneration of the Bull Ring, New Street and the place that used to be a post office.
Original post by Annie72
I concur!.Now if they'd have said Sutton Coldfield, Edgbaston or Harborne that would have been different.But Selly Oak is nowhere near pretty.

I used to live in an area that classified as Selly Oak and it was beautiful. There was a massive park near by and the most beautiful roads with amazing houses. It was also close to the uni, maybe it wasn't the traditional selly oak area?
Reply 39
Original post by TRS-T

Birmingham deserves respect as the Second City of the UK.

Why are you so obsessed with this "Second City of the UK" thing?

Latest

Trending

Trending