The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of applying to Mcdonalds but I'm not sure.
Places online say its terrible but my friend just started there and she likes it.

Is application/interview hard?
You just have to push the recruitment manager's buttons and then your interviewer really.
Original post by monstersam
Places online say its terrible but my friend just started there and she likes it.

I think it can really vary as to whether you have an enjoyable experience working at McDonalds. I've also seen a lot of people say it's awful and they hate it, but personally, I really like working at mine (been there a few weeks now). Dealing with customers is hard, but everyone I work with is lovely and really helpful, including all the shift managers who make you feel really appreciated. I imagine it can vary wildly though with what store you're in and whether it's a company or franchise store.

The interview process also seems to vary a lot. Some people seem to have long interviews and OJEs (an on-the-job part) while others hardly anything. Depends where you apply. I hardly even had what you'd call an interview for mine. I literally had a ten minute chat with the assistant manager-really relaxed-about what I was doing at uni etc. The only interview-like questions were when was I available, and about what experience I'd had using tills. I was a bit surprised it was over already when she showed me out. I think almost all (or even maybe all) the people who interviewed at the same time as me got jobs; I think it was basically just down to being friendly and smiley and that was it (since they don't expect you to know how to do anything to start with).
Original post by heidigirl
I think it can really vary as to whether you have an enjoyable experience working at McDonalds. I've also seen a lot of people say it's awful and they hate it, but personally, I really like working at mine (been there a few weeks now). Dealing with customers is hard, but everyone I work with is lovely and really helpful, including all the shift managers who make you feel really appreciated. I imagine it can vary wildly though with what store you're in and whether it's a company or franchise store.

The interview process also seems to vary a lot. Some people seem to have long interviews and OJEs (an on-the-job part) while others hardly anything. Depends where you apply. I hardly even had what you'd call an interview for mine. I literally had a ten minute chat with the assistant manager-really relaxed-about what I was doing at uni etc. The only interview-like questions were when was I available, and about what experience I'd had using tills. I was a bit surprised it was over already when she showed me out. I think almost all (or even maybe all) the people who interviewed at the same time as me got jobs; I think it was basically just down to being friendly and smiley and that was it (since they don't expect you to know how to do anything to start with).

Wow, thanks!

Yeah this is my first job so I'm really nervous - I've had literally no experience. Well I've done some ICT stuff at my dads work but thats it. So my application wont be the strongest :frown:

I second heidigirl. My interview was also about 10 minutes, and was just asking the questions I answered on my application.

I hate my job. Really hate it. I have written out a little calender so I can cross off the days til I quit. I am desperate for Summer to be over.

But other people like working there. It depends on the kind of person you are.
Reply 7365
Original post by lightburns
I second heidigirl. My interview was also about 10 minutes, and was just asking the questions I answered on my application.

I hate my job. Really hate it. I have written out a little calender so I can cross off the days til I quit. I am desperate for Summer to be over.

But other people like working there. It depends on the kind of person you are.

I used to love it when I started. But it tends to get more boring and depressing

and sometimes everyone acts like abit of a dick. and it does my head in
Original post by ss2012
I used to love it when I started. But it tends to get more boring and depressing

and sometimes everyone acts like abit of a dick. and it does my head in

I hate customers, and I work on tills.

That explains why I dislike my job.
Reply 7367
And today begins my epic 10 days of work. 12-10 today, 11:30-10 tomorrow and Saturday, 8-5 Sunday, 6:30-4 Monday, Course Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (which will effectively be 6:30-6), 11:30-10 Friday, Saturday. Can't wait till next Sunday!
Original post by Ronda
And today begins my epic 10 days of work. 12-10 today, 11:30-10 tomorrow and Saturday, 8-5 Sunday, 6:30-4 Monday, Course Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (which will effectively be 6:30-6), 11:30-10 Friday, Saturday. Can't wait till next Sunday!

Jesus, and I thought I was unlucky getting three days in a row.

The applications easy, its just a case of making sure you do the multiple choice bit okay :')

My interview was okay, was just the business manager asking for experiences of me working in teams etc

Tbh, I think if you get an interview, they will most likely hire you as they need staff for summer

I like my job, I've been there just over a year but I only work weekends (due to college). Everyone's really friendly and easy to get on with, okay yeah you have a few who are dicks but generally everyone's nice and like to help out if you're stuck.

There are aspects that I don't like, like areas I hate working, but everyone has those areas. I think pretty much everyone hates doing fries, (if there is anyone on here that does enjoy doing fries, let me know) although I do have one friend who doesn't seem to mind what she ends up doing.

Another area I don't like is being on a till, mainly because you're tied down to just doing that, and dealing with customers. I don't mind backing tills or anything on drive thru and I'm very grateful that we have a drive thru ha :tongue:

At my interview I also had an OJE which was just standing on booth 3 handing out food to customers, however now at our store an OJE tends to be the person standing on a till, greeting the customer and getting part of their order together, such as the drinks.

All in all, yeah I like my job, and would find it better than working in a shop or something as I feel there's more variety in what you can do. Most people in my store are teens/early twenties in college/uni/waiting to get a job in what they want to do, so it can be quite fun :smile:

I also know a lot of people who leave McDonald's because they have a new part time job, but end up coming back because they hate their new job, or it isn't as flexible. If you want time off, you generally get it, you're not restricted to a certain amount of time off.
It's also very easy to swap shifts, and okay yeah the pays not great compared to other people, and the shifts can be a lot longer (I know people who only do like 3-4 hour shifts, as when I tend to do 8/9 hours) I get paid £4.35 atm, as when one of my friends gets over £7 an hour working in a lesuire centre cafe, and only does 7 hours a week, but there's only like 3/4 people who work there, as when I have gotten to know a lot of new people :smile:
It can be fast paced and stressful at times, especially at weekends, but honestly, its not all bad :smile: some people can take the p**s out of you for working there, but some people who you'd expect to, actually work there too. There's like 7 people from my college who work in my store, and I know others who work in other local stores.

This is probably more than you were really looking for , but hey :tongue:

If you have any questions, just ask :smile:
Original post by SortYourLife
The applications easy, its just a case of making sure you do the multiple choice bit okay :')

My interview was okay, was just the business manager asking for experiences of me working in teams etc

Tbh, I think if you get an interview, they will most likely hire you as they need staff for summer

I like my job, I've been there just over a year but I only work weekends (due to college). Everyone's really friendly and easy to get on with, okay yeah you have a few who are dicks but generally everyone's nice and like to help out if you're stuck.

There are aspects that I don't like, like areas I hate working, but everyone has those areas. I think pretty much everyone hates doing fries, (if there is anyone on here that does enjoy doing fries, let me know) although I do have one friend who doesn't seem to mind what she ends up doing.

Another area I don't like is being on a till, mainly because you're tied down to just doing that, and dealing with customers. I don't mind backing tills or anything on drive thru and I'm very grateful that we have a drive thru ha :tongue:

At my interview I also had an OJE which was just standing on booth 3 handing out food to customers, however now at our store an OJE tends to be the person standing on a till, greeting the customer and getting part of their order together, such as the drinks.

All in all, yeah I like my job, and would find it better than working in a shop or something as I feel there's more variety in what you can do. Most people in my store are teens/early twenties in college/uni/waiting to get a job in what they want to do, so it can be quite fun :smile:

I also know a lot of people who leave McDonald's because they have a new part time job, but end up coming back because they hate their new job, or it isn't as flexible. If you want time off, you generally get it, you're not restricted to a certain amount of time off.
It's also very easy to swap shifts, and okay yeah the pays not great compared to other people, and the shifts can be a lot longer (I know people who only do like 3-4 hour shifts, as when I tend to do 8/9 hours) I get paid £4.35 atm, as when one of my friends gets over £7 an hour working in a lesuire centre cafe, and only does 7 hours a week, but there's only like 3/4 people who work there, as when I have gotten to know a lot of new people :smile:
It can be fast paced and stressful at times, especially at weekends, but honestly, its not all bad :smile: some people can take the p**s out of you for working there, but some people who you'd expect to, actually work there too. There's like 7 people from my college who work in my store, and I know others who work in other local stores.

This is probably more than you were really looking for , but hey :tongue:

If you have any questions, just ask :smile:

Thanks! Just 1, I did my application yesterday afternoon - any idea how long it will take them to contact me if I get an interview?

thanks for all your help!:biggrin:
Reply 7371
Went into Liverpool Street Maccy's the other day, asked for 2 veggie deli meals (wrap + sandwich) and got 2 with chicken in instead (my friend is a vegetarian), we only relased once we got on the train and it began to leave. So annoying.

How can people be so stupid to put chicken in the veggie meals. They had veggie written on their labels too. What made it worse was, A) the girl didn't know how to put employee meals through the till, so I had to ask for a manager to do it, and even with him shouting they are Veggie through people still got it wrong. And I had to wait 5 minutes, so they obviously went and cooked veggie pattys.

Ahh well, a decent 4-11 for the next 2 days. I like these shifts, but not sure how busy it will be now its school holidays again
Reply 7372
Original post by Jessca
I am exhausted today I was on my own making hot drinks for every single order - I feel like I've had an extreme work-out after running to and from all four of the machines.. making eight drinks at a time .. not including teas. I had to maintain that pace for around 7 hours straight all by myself. Hope I'm not doing that tomorrow! :frown:

What are the average hours like do you know? I heard one hour was £8000+?! How many crew are on, backers and the likes?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It's my first shift tonight and I'm nervous haha but I am actually quite excited to be going out and doing something new after just applying for jobs left, right and centre every day all summer. Wish me luck :biggrin:
Thanks! Just 1, I did my application yesterday afternoon - any idea how long it will take them to contact me if I get an interview?

thanks for all your help!:biggrin:

I think for me it took about a week for them to respond (could've been less) but really it varies on how long the applications been open for, when they look at them etc. Good Luck ! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Original post by neonlightning
It's my first shift tonight and I'm nervous haha but I am actually quite excited to be going out and doing something new after just applying for jobs left, right and centre every day all summer. Wish me luck :biggrin:

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine - just remember that it can be a bit overwhelming on your first day, but it gets better after a few shifts.
First payday as a Crew Trainer, 6.30 an hour is a nice little increase. Just had my PR as well and got a 3, so pay will be 6.49 as soon as PR's are effective.
Total pay increase over the last few weeks of 26.5% - Not bad at all.

At some point in the next week or so I have to tell my BM i'm going travelling for a few months (6) and want time off. Hopefully they will keep my job open, or it will have been a bit of a waste of time working up to CT.
Need to do my FRS before I go to show a bit of willing, and then hopefully go for a Shifty next summer :smile:
Urgh. I finally felt like I'd got everything perfect today, until it came to cashing up, which really turned it into a bad day.

Apparently I was £20 down (which I am actually upset about because my float was definitely correct when I started and there's nothing to account for it, and I don't want to get accused of doing something wrong) which the manager just said 'hopefully it'll turn up as £20 is an unlikely amount to be down by', and I've used the managers card too much to take stuff off after totalling. I got a talk about slowing down and waiting to make sure they don't change their mind before it goes into the till-which I have been doing, but I had one big order today where my till just went mental and for some reason a lot of people deciding to change their mind after I've asked them if that's everything-and I had to sign one of those retraining sheets. The manager was nice about it, but to be honest, it still felt like being told off and told I was doing everything wrong. :frown:

I know all the stuff on the sheet and I've been following it all though, so I know I'm doing everything right. I don't know what else I can do; I can hardly control how awkward my customers decide to be or when my till decides to throw a hissy fit.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of the retraining thing apart from to make sure I know what I'm doing (which I do) and only really read through the list-was feeling a bit miffed to be honest. Is it a telling off? Does anything happen if it all goes wrong again? :s-smilie:
Reply 7378
Original post by heidigirl
Does anything happen if it all goes wrong again? :s-smilie:

You can be dismissed, although I think you will get a final written warning first.
Your T-reds can't be helped sometimes but simple things like waiting until the customer has finished ordering before putting it all into the till is a big help. Also at the end of the day if this conversation happens
Customer: "I'll have a Big Mac"
You: "Is that a meal?"
Customer: "no, blah blah blah... Oh and I'll have a medium fries and a coffee"

It's not your problem they can't order properly, charge them for each item individually if they order that way! This happens more often when older people are ordering large number of items.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i