The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
Original post by plod2
hi so I go to imperial and I'm studying mech eng I got 75% for my first year and got 3 A*s in maths, fmaths and physics with an A in chem at a level.

I have no connections, no work experience, no extra curricular, not much knowledge of finance so would I have a chance?

Good grades, good school- you have a chance, albeit not the best. I would recommend getting extra-curricular related to finance, e.g. go to conferences or try to get a committee position on finance society. Since your only starting second year now you should be able to get some relevant work experience too.

Re connections, you're in London.. Get to know people and start networking, if you have no connections that's your own fault
Reply 2581
I really want a career in this industry and my A-level grades will be good. It's just I have no contacts, how can I start meeting some people in this profession?

Also, is it vital to have contacts if you want a career in it?

I have had no work experience but havent gone to uni yet
Reply 2582
Hi there, I just finished my a levels and going to do maths at UCL. I'm a bit worried as I didn't do Economics at a level and lack some general knowledge about finance/economic. What level of knowledge should I have in order to demonstrate my interest when I apply for spring weeks? I'm trying to read the Economist but there are some glossaries I don't know the meaning of. Are there any books you would recconmend that can introduce me to the basics of finance? Many thanks.
Maths vs Stats

Or are they regarded the same
Hey guys , Im looking to apply for a 2nd yr internship in BO/MO for a range of banks. What are my chances.
A lvls AAA bio chem physics
Bsc Biology at Imperial college London (on track for first)
boxing & american football team
Union position on welfare board
little relavant work experiance but have worked in logistics in a transport company
Original post by Miryo
I really want a career in this industry and my A-level grades will be good. It's just I have no contacts, how can I start meeting some people in this profession?

Also, is it vital to have contacts if you want a career in it?

I have had no work experience but havent gone to uni yet

Go to a target university then worry about contacts and w/e.
Original post by lmq0209
Hi there, I just finished my a levels and going to do maths at UCL. I'm a bit worried as I didn't do Economics at a level and lack some general knowledge about finance/economic. What level of knowledge should I have in order to demonstrate my interest when I apply for spring weeks? I'm trying to read the Economist but there are some glossaries I don't know the meaning of. Are there any books you would recconmend that can introduce me to the basics of finance? Many thanks.

Economics is not finance. Read the financial times, bloomberg, reuters etc and read up on what a bank does and what each division does and how they interact.

This book is good to start on: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Know-About-City-2009/dp/0955218632
Original post by stackemup
Maths vs Stats

Or are they regarded the same

At the same university they're pretty much the same. Choose the one you would prefer to study/will do best in.
Original post by rajabilal
Hey guys , Im looking to apply for a 2nd yr internship in BO/MO for a range of banks. What are my chances.
little relavant work experiance but have worked in logistics in a transport company

Decent chance of interviews as long as you write some decent CVs, cover letters and competency questions with good reasons for why you want to be in finance despite having no finance experience/ECs etc.
Original post by thexmanin
Hi Everyone,
I am interested in risk management, but I am not sure if I have a chance to get a graduate position in this industry. I have BEng Civil Engineering (First Class) from Portsmouth University (not a target university), and I am going to do MSc & DIC Transport and Business Management at Imperial College London. In my high school I got 84% (equivalent to 69% in the UK) from one of the best schools in my country which is requires an entry tests (i.e. math and physics) and IQ test. I have the basic knowledge to program with C++ and Visual Basic; I am not sure whether it’s a good thing. Also, I am fluent in two languages: English and Arabic, and have basic knowledge of French.

I don’t have any relevant work experience in finance, however I am going to join the finance society in Imperial College. I used to be a member of the athletic club in Portsmouth University and I am going to join the athletic club in Imperial College.

On the other hand, I could go and work as an engineer for about 3 to 5 years (as imperial college postgraduate degree will give an average starting salary of £35,938 according to the postgraduate prospectus 2012-2013) and after that apply to get an MBA from Oxbridge, LSE or one of the American top business schools. This MBA degree will give me the chance to start as an associate in one of the top IB. In addition, this way is safer and gives me more options in the future.

If you want to be in risk management then apply. Imperial will look good on your CV. If you want to be an engineer then apply for that. Don't waste several years doing something you don't enjoy. Just go 100% for one or the other; as i say, Imperial will look good.
Reply 2590
Original post by rajabilal

Why don't you go for commodity trading companies? Logistics experience could come in handy (chartering, freight rate background, etc.) in comparison to the bulge brackets.
Original post by SonnyZH
Why don't you go for commodity trading companies? Logistics experience could come in handy (chartering, freight rate background, etc.) in comparison to the bulge brackets.

Havent really thought about it mate, will look into it , thanks :smile:
Reply 2592
Hi everyone,

I am currently tailoring my CV and covering letter with a view to going for consultancy. Targeting MBB first, but appreciate this is ambitious. Will be going for Big4 and boutique firms also.

Applying for a summer 2013 internship. Will just give a snapshot of my background; I have posted my actual CV and covering letter in the appropriate part of the forums for advice.

Education

Strathclyde, BA (Hons) Management & Entrepreneurship. 1st and 2nd year both passed with Distinction

The Open University, BSc(Hons) Business and Computing with IT - comlpeted two modules worth 60 credits at overall 85% and 82%.

Experience

Economic development agency as European Funding and Policy Assistant. Outlined my unique commercial awareness, understanding how political and economic factors at a European level filters down to SMES. Also worked with a small team of consultants to develop a funding and engagement strategy, as well as did a stakeholder analysis.

Research studentship with Cambridge Judge Business school - assisting in the development of a new MBA module

Business awards scheme - directly supporting businesses to comlpete their applications

Development Advisor for a nascent jewellery retailer/entrepreneur - project management over the development of the organisation's website, financial analysis, developing strategies for training, CRM and social networking.

Medical Administrator in GP

Data Clerk for Scottish Government handling quantitative data and generating reports

Recruitment administrator for a charity

Sales assistant

Leadership

Founded a management consutlancy society at uni, attracted interest from 2 large employers, enlsited 30+ members

Class rep

Awards

Carnegie Vacation Scholarship, won a full award and was the only student from my uni to do so.

Any comments welcome on my chances of going for consultancy, particularly top-tier. Many thanks for any help! :smile:
Reply 2593
Original post by Aliylum

Education

[*]Strathclyde, BA (Hons) Management & Entrepreneurship. 1st and 2nd year both passed with Distinction
[*]The Open University, BSc(Hons) Business and Computing with IT - comlpeted two modules worth 60 credits at overall 85% and 82%.

This will hold you back considerably. MBB don't even look at most Russell group unis, let alone outside of it.
Original post by igohardondis
Would gaining a first in economics from city university and being the best in your cohort of students aswell as have all the intangible qualities they are looking for be enough to enter this competitive job market? Surely this will put me on par with a bottom 50% student from lse/oxford who studied politics/archaeology?

If you top your year in econ at City as well as having all the "intangible qualities" you'd generally be better positioned than a bottom 50% student from lse/oxford who studied politics/archaeology.
How much of an advantage is having a Cambridge maths degree when trying to get into IB?
Need some advice, may seem obvious but help will be appreciated

I am currently at Plymouth University, going into my second year of Economics.

I have been looking at transfers and have been offered a place at Royal Holloway University to start either in the first year again or go into the second year, I am also waiting on a reply from Exeter but I am kind of doubtful about that one

My question is, does Royal Holloway hold good weighting in IB recruitment? a lot more than Plymouth?
Original post by TheCityBoy
Need some advice, may seem obvious but help will be appreciated

I am currently at Plymouth University, going into my second year of Economics.

I have been looking at transfers and have been offered a place at Royal Holloway University to start either in the first year again or go into the second year, I am also waiting on a reply from Exeter but I am kind of doubtful about that one

My question is, does Royal Holloway hold good weighting in IB recruitment? a lot more than Plymouth?

Both are pretty rubbish but RHUL is going to give you a significantly better chance of getting in to IB. Of course, it all depends on the division too, which division are you looking at?
Original post by maths134
How much of an advantage is having a Cambridge maths degree when trying to get into IB?

Compared to what? It's a very good degree for getting into IB, but then any degree from the targets puts you in roughly the same position. Compared to a normal russell group university it's a pretty big advantage.
Original post by igohardondis
Would gaining a first in economics from city university and being the best in your cohort of students aswell as have all the intangible qualities they are looking for be enough to enter this competitive job market? Surely this will put me on par with a bottom 50% student from lse/oxford who studied politics/archaeology?

Yes it's enough to enter the job market, depends what position you want to apply for though. Problem is that do you really want to be on par with a bottom 50% student who did anthropology at LSE? It's those students who don't make it into IB. Just make sure you have the added w/e, ecs etc to set you apart from those at targets, but they will always be target university students, and you won't be. Just focus on those other things you can bring to your CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending