The Student Room Group

How Essential is Pre-reading?

Im going to WBS and have looked at the amount of pre reading I have to do and it is insane!!!. I come from an econ background but some of the maths they are asking me to do practice questions is well out my league. Just wondering are they asking you to do this because they wont cover it or just to get you really prepared.

TBH its really putting me off doing a Masters, I know it was going to be hard but not this hard!.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Hey,

I've been going through MSc Econ pre-reading and it's pretty tough. For Econ we have to take a pre-sessional maths and stats course and sit an exam at the end. The material they've asked us to cover is pretty much what we'll cover in the three week course. I don't think it's essential to know everything because they will teach you it, but I do think it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the material.

I think this is pretty standard across Econ and Finance courses, and I think it's also standard for students to be able to leave and get a full refund if they can't do the maths/stats at the beginning.

Why not send WBS an email to check this out?

I was in a similar position with LSE and they told me not to worry and to relax. They said the selection process is pretty thorough and that they wouldn't have selected me if they didn't think I could handle the MSc.

Best,

AW
Reply 3
Original post by wadders24

I was in a similar position with LSE and they told me not to worry and to relax. They said the selection process is pretty thorough and that they wouldn't have selected me if they didn't think I could handle the MSc.

Best,

AW

Oh wadders24, how nice are the people in LSE. I would like to say the same from their peers in UCL. They sent us an email where "the lady" stated that if for example one has not completed the maths pre-reading by the end of august, it would be better not to come to the programme, period. The whole message was something like since our programme is so tough, you better don't come to waste your money if you're not very very good at maths.
The above doesn't apply to me but it was very dissapointing to hear such words. I mean, WTF they are just UCL and supposedly they have a serious admission process so I think is not an encouraging way to welcome the same students that they admitted before.
Reply 4
Actually I was a little stressed about them being so relaxed! I applied to UCL as well and got their email and have been working through the reading list - tough read though!! Have you checked out the MIT link? Some of the maths there is wild!

It looks a little different at UCL in that the pre-reading exam seems to count towards the MSc, really tough! But I do think that it's just a test to see what everyone knows and to get everyone up to the same level. Familiarizing yourself with the material and then being prepared to slog it out on the pre-sessional course should be enough.

How are you finding it? I'm sure most people don't cover all of this at undergrad.

AW

Original post by Econla
Oh wadders24, how nice are the people in LSE. I would like to say the same from their peers in UCL. They sent us an email where "the lady" stated that if for example one has not completed the maths pre-reading by the end of august, it would be better not to come to the programme, period. The whole message was something like since our programme is so tough, you better don't come to waste your money if you're not very very good at maths.
The above doesn't apply to me but it was very dissapointing to hear such words. I mean, WTF they are just UCL and supposedly they have a serious admission process so I think is not an encouraging way to welcome the same students that they admitted before.
Reply 5
Actually I was a little stressed about them being so relaxed! I applied to UCL as well and got their email and have been working through the reading list - tough read though!! Have you checked out the MIT link? Some of the maths there is wild!

It looks a little different at UCL in that the pre-reading exam seems to count towards the MSc, really tough! But I do think that it's just a test to see what everyone knows and to get everyone up to the same level. Familiarizing yourself with the material and then being prepared to slog it out on the pre-sessional course should be enough.

How are you finding it? I'm sure most people don't cover all of this at undergrad.

AW

Well actually I am preparing with Simon and Blume instead of Pemberton because I found the latter too basic. Almost no proofs and few examples of applications to economics.
The thing is not how hard the programme is but the way that they let you know. Is not a problem of "what" but "how" they talk to you.
For example, as you know my first attempt to TOEFL was lower than I expected and tried to talk with "the lady" :smile: and her answer was: sorry, you can apply to differ your entry for next year if you wish. I mean, she didn't even encourage me to re-take the test. I asked her if I may enroll the pre-sessional english course and she answered me that the course was full.
Man, this is just a business!. I scored just a few points below the minimum and she wasn't able to open a space for me in the pre-sessional (I was going to pay for it) or at least encourage me to do one last attempt in the Toefl.
This is what I'm talking about. They see you just as an input for their income. Since they have maybe a great waitlist, they don't care if you don't go......another one will. They prefer that the guy who was ranked below me in the admission process, but who has a few points more than me in english, attend the course. WTF?...I really don't understand the way they think, and we are talking about an "economics department".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by career
Im going to WBS and have looked at the amount of pre reading I have to do and it is insane!!!. I come from an econ background but some of the maths they are asking me to do practice questions is well out my league. Just wondering are they asking you to do this because they wont cover it or just to get you really prepared.

TBH its really putting me off doing a Masters, I know it was going to be hard but not this hard!.

Are you going to the F&E?. Look, there are lot of resources to learn maths. You are not going to a pure maths programme so don't worry. You just need to learn the basic manipulations on matrices, optimization with several variables, some dynamic, etc. Try to understand them through their respective proofs and then learn the mechanics. Understand in which wahy they are applied to your subject.

You can use books along with these websites:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Also, watch this if you need inspiration:

http://www.isukatmath.com/why-we-are-all-bad-at-math/

Don't be scared, you deserve to go there. Do your best. Train yourself like an olympic athlete!!!

Good luck
Reply 7
Hi

Thanks for the replies much appreciated. Yer I am doing Finance and Economics, looks like this prep is standard for all finance programmes however. What happens if we do badly in the online tests?
Reply 8
Hey,

I've been going through MSc Econ pre-reading and it's pretty tough. For Econ we have to take a pre-sessional maths and stats course and sit an exam at the end. The material they've asked us to cover is pretty much what we'll cover in the three week course. I don't think it's essential to know everything because they will teach you it, but I do think it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the material.

I think this is pretty standard across Econ and Finance courses, and I think it's also standard for students to be able to leave and get a full refund if they can't do the maths/stats at the beginning.

Why not send WBS an email to check this out?

Best,

AW

Curious, what books have you been pre-reading for MSc at LSE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending