The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

I am going to LSE for my master and I know that you can choose your electives from any other department and course you wish. Is that true? Could anyone tell me the procedure? Should I send an email to the department asking how can I do that?

thx
Hi Maskofinsanity, (cool nickname by the way). I'm not expert but here are my 2 cents

2. Do you think you disadvantage yourself by putting two course options down? i.e. would it be better to apply early for your first choice then if you get rejected do another separate application for your second choice? That way when they look at your application they know you really want to study on that course, plus you can focus your statement on each course individually.

I don't think you put yourself in disadvantage by applying to 2 different courses at the same time. Most likely if you are serious about what you want to study your application won't select 2 completely separtate fields (e.g. econ and english for example) but your 2 options will be in the same field. Also, you can upload 2 separate personal statements one addressing each course choice. In that way you can use your references for both choices. For me the biggest stress was ensuring to get my academic references on time, even though I requested them early in advance my professors took 2 months to send them! The best thing is to apply as early as possible if you can.

3. Personal statement of 2-3 pages seems excessive; that's 1000-1500 words. How much did you write?

Mine ended up being 4 pages, and I had to reduce it to 3 pages.

4. What are the most important aspects of your application to a Master's at a place like LSE? University prestige? Personal statement?

Personal Statement for sure and references. If you are applying directly after finishing your undergraduate degree, grades will be important as well, but if you have been working for some years then a relevant and strong work experience helps a lot.

Hope this helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nish81
I'm also looking for private accommodation, as close to LSE as I can find, if anyone else is still on the hunt it could be useful to discuss finding a 2bed or something :smile:

You may already know this but I just thought that I'd put this out there for people who don't, LSE has a private accommodation office where you can get help in finding private accommodation.

You can go to their website: http://bit.ly/NhiaHB for their contact info. It also lists a number of other places you might want to look at.

Also, another good site to look for private accomodation is gumtree.com
Does anybody know how long time it takes for GA and faculty to process your documentation when you deliver it directly to them/SSC at this time of year. Do I have to wait the whole 5-10 working days? I have a conditional offer and sent my documentation that I have fulfilled these.

Offer from A&F.
Original post by Blaasofapute
Does anybody know how long time it takes for GA and faculty to process your documentation when you deliver it directly to them/SSC at this time of year. Do I have to wait the whole 5-10 working days? I have a conditional offer and sent my documentation that I have fulfilled these.

Offer from A&F.

I have sent my documentation as well. They told me that I have to wait 2-3 weeks.

offer for MSc in Operational Research
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone on a reserve list for any program has heard back about their status.
Hi!
I have received a conditional offer for an MSc course to LSE. I have sent all the documents by post,i was hoping if anyone knew, how much time does the Graduate Admissions office take to convert your conditional offer to an unconditional offer, after you have sent all the documents by post?

please help!
Original post by priyanka6
Hi!
I have received a conditional offer for an MSc course to LSE. I have sent all the documents by post,i was hoping if anyone knew, how much time does the Graduate Admissions office take to convert your conditional offer to an unconditional offer, after you have sent all the documents by post?

please help!

i haven't sent my documents but I went there and gave them to the reception. After 9 days I received a letter with the unconditional offer. :smile:
Original post by nygsbchamps2012
You may already know this but I just thought that I'd put this out there for people who don't, LSE has a private accommodation office where you can get help in finding private accommodation.

You can go to their website: http://bit.ly/NhiaHB for their contact info. It also lists a number of other places you might want to look at.

Also, another good site to look for private accomodation is gumtree.com

Those are good options but I do tend to find that the places offered by the accommodation office are a bit limited.
Gumtree can be good but quite a lot to filter through, and a few scammers etc.

I find www.spareroom.co.uk is great as is www.moveflat.com - lots more legitimate places, I think they do more vetting etc.
Original post by zziippoo
i haven't sent my documents but I went there and gave them to the reception. After 9 days I received a letter with the unconditional offer. :smile:

i got my unconditional offer yesterday! :biggrin:
Hi!
Also, is anyone going to lilian knowles this year for the 2012-2013 intake?
I want to know more about that place, and if any postgrads are going their to stay...
should I go for lse accommodation or private?
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone on a reserve list for any program has heard back about their status.

Hey, I just got my offer yesterday. I was on the reserve list :smile: - Masters of Law
Reply 1732
Hey guys, got an unconditional offer for the Diploma in Accounting and Finance at LSE a while back, accepted. Will be doing the Masters right after :smile:
Got my unconditional offer today, A&F.
Reply 1734
hey guys,

though already an lse student, well I've just graduated. anyways I applied about 8 weeks ago for an Msc in Philosophy of Social Science, and I have yet to hear back. I was wondering if anybody else from the same course, or with the same waiting time has heard back? I'm slightly stressing out, and by slightly i mean a lot.

thanks,
Original post by priyanka6
Hi!
Also, is anyone going to lilian knowles this year for the 2012-2013 intake?
I want to know more about that place, and if any postgrads are going their to stay...
should I go for lse accommodation or private?

Hi there,

I'm a postgrad and I'm going to Lillian Knowles this year. LK seems to be in a pretty neat area, Spitalfields Market is nearby, so is Brick Lane. It's a bit far away from LSE about a 30-40 minutes walk, or you can take the tube, Liverpool Street station is 5-10 minutes away.

As far as what kind of accommodation to opt for, I chose LSE accommodation as it was more convenient for me because I live in the US and finding private accommodation before I arrived in London would have been a big hassle for me. It just depends on your personal situation.
Original post by midnightL
Hey, I just got my offer yesterday. I was on the reserve list :smile: - Masters of Law

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply. I too got an offer a few weeks ago.
Hi there,

I'm a postgrad and I'm going to Lillian Knowles this year. LK seems to be in a pretty neat area, Spitalfields Market is nearby, so is Brick Lane. It's a bit far away from LSE about a 30-40 minutes walk, or you can take the tube, Liverpool Street station is 5-10 minutes away.

As far as what kind of accommodation to opt for, I chose LSE accommodation as it was more convenient for me because I live in the US and finding private accommodation before I arrived in London would have been a big hassle for me. It just depends on your personal situation.

Hi!
Thanks for the reply, so you'll be starting your masters as well, I will be studying MISI and if I am at Lilian Knowles, hopefully i ll see you there!
:smile:
Hey guys I'm new to this thread and would briefly like to share my situation and seek any help/advice from you guys as to what I should do next.

I've got a solid 2.1 MA degree from a well reputable school in Scotland with an attractive CV in terms of previous work experience in the private sector and what I hope to be, a very strong personal statement and references (sadly they wanted two academic referees and not a professional opinion).

I applied in late June (post exams in my final year) and they took 7 weeks to reject me from my first choice; Comparative Politics (Politics and Markets). Simultaneously, my application for 'China in Comparative Perspective' is being currently considered by the department. Is there anything I can do to perhaps increase my chances in gaining a seat?
Hey anyone else here on the MSc for Environment and Development? Got my offer two weeks ago after being put on the reserve list!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest