The Student Room Group

Sports you like and dislike?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bobo1234
(...) karate

Do you like another martial arts beside karate?

I like football, handball a little, all kinds of martial arts and what I dislike is (ice) hockey and rugby.
Original post by Kallisto
Do you like another martial arts beside karate?

I like football, handball a little, all kinds of martial arts and what I dislike is (ice) hockey and rugby.

I guess I could do, I've just never tried any others! :p: I'm not great at kicking so Taekwondo is probably out, but I suppose something like BJJ or judo would be quite cool. Love watching ice hockey and rugby, but gave up playing rugby four years ago due to my small (ish) stature and I only play ice hockey at a very amateur level haha. What martial art(s) do you do?
Original post by Bobo1234
(...) What martial art(s) do you do?

I have practiced kickboxing for two and a half years and then I joined to self defense (after I have finished kickboxing). It's not a traditional martial art. It contains all kinds of techniques to defend yourself (against all kinds of offences). If everything goes well, I will begin with tanto-jutsu-do, a martial art for weapons (knife, bo, tonfa and so on...). But we still need a free day to found this one. I hope so. But Kung Fu were the martial art which I would love to practice one day.

By the way there is another sport which I dislike: heel-and-toe walking!
Reply 43
Like: Basketball, Judo, Table Tennis.... and probably badminton.

Dislike: Football.... because it takes such a long time just for a goal. I love basketball very much and I think that's why I am not lured into football. The rhythm is too different the former is much more fast-paced. I love watching the highlights of the goal though, just not the whole game.
In terms of Olympic sports;

I love/like:

-Taekwondo
- Rowing
- Cycling
- Swimming
- Gymnastics
- Diving
- Football
- Handball

I find them interesting and exciting to watch and/or take part in

I'm not so keen on;

- Shooting
- Archery
- Shotput/Discus/Hammer throw/Javelin
- Table Tennis
- Weightlifting

I personally just find them somewhat tedious, I just much prefer fast-paced sports .. I guess I'm easily bored :wink:

:2012:
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)

x

That is a long list. Is there any sport which you exercise? or are you an unsporting girl?
Reply 46
Original post by TenOfThem
We clearly have different opinions re this

i don't agree with your awful opinion.

Boxing is not just about hitting each other that would be street fighting.

Boxing is about technique, movement and power. A boxer's body has to be extremely conditioned to cope with 12 rounds.

As a muai thai boxer myself i can tell you how hard it is. The hardest sport imo.

You have to control your breathing and movement while protecting your own weak points. and then simultaneously strike your opponent precisely.

we wear protective gear while using controlled aggression to win a boxing match that is why it sport. The key is to also respect your opponent that is why we shake hands at start and at end.

If it wasn't sport then there would be none of this it would be swinging on the streets trying to cause actual bodily harm to other.

There as you can see i have demonstrated the difference that you can't seem to see. Boxing is not just "hitting each other".
Reply 47
Original post by jblackmoustache
Cricket - it's just boring as hell to watch and play. zzzzzz

why?

When you played it why did you find it boring?

And what cricket have you ever watched?
Original post by wenger16
i don't agree with your awful opinion.

Boxing is not just about hitting each other that would be street fighting.

Boxing is about technique, movement and power. A boxer's body has to be extremely conditioned to cope with 12 rounds.

As a muai thai boxer myself i can tell you how hard it is. The hardest sport imo.

You have to control your breathing and movement while protecting your own weak points. and then simultaneously strike your opponent precisely.

we wear protective gear while using controlled aggression to win a boxing match that is why it sport. The key is to also respect your opponent that is why we shake hands at start and at end.

If it wasn't sport then there would be none of this it would be swinging on the streets trying to cause actual bodily harm to other.

There as you can see i have demonstrated the difference that you can't seem to see. Boxing is not just "hitting each other".

I do not for one instance disagree that boxers have immense skill

But I do not consider it sport

The OP was looking for personal opinions

This is mine
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
I do not for one instance disagree that boxers have immense skill

But I do not consider it sport

The OP was looking for personal opinions

This is mine

I wouldn't mind your personal opinion if Boxing was a sport that you disliked as this was what the op asked(sports like and dislike?).

But your saying you do not consider it sport even though you agree with everything i have said. That does not make any sense whatsoever.

I think you need to tell me what is sport then to you??? What is your definition of sport and what does boxing not meet the specific criteria???
I wouldn't mind your personal opinion if Boxing was a sport that you disliked as this was what the op asked(sports like and dislike?).

But your saying you do not consider it sport even though you agree with everything i have said. That does not make any sense whatsoever.

I think you need to tell me what is sport then to you??? What is your definition of sport and what does boxing not meet the specific criteria???

Sport, for me, does not have any element where the objective is to hurt your opponent
Reply 51
Dislike football. It's just a bunch of guys kicking a ball around a field for an hour and a half. Goals hardly ever get scored. If the average goal score after a mach was 9 -5 for instance then i might see how people could be interested. but to watch people kicking a ball around for that long then only scoring one goal or if really lucky 3 is just incredibly dull.
Reply 52
Sport, for me, does not have any element where the objective is to hurt your opponent

But as i described to you it is not about hurting an opponent. That is street fighting. That would be ABH or gbh and is an criminal offense in most countries.

Boxing and many of its forms rely on having extremely good aerobic fitness and using controlled aggression. It relies on technique and movement and power.

The objective is to win the boxing match either by knock out where your opponent is down for 10 counts or on points where the precision of your strikes is taken into account.

You know as well i do that Boxing is a great sport; however ill accept you do not like it.
Reply 53
Original post by Podcaster
Dislike football. It's just a bunch of guys kicking a ball around a field for an hour and a half. Goals hardly ever get scored. If the average goal score after a mach was 9 -5 for instance then i might see how people could be interested. but to watch people kicking a ball around for that long then only scoring one goal or if really lucky 3 is just incredibly dull.

As an craazy football fan i can tell you most football fans like me (theres lot of us its the most popular sport in the world) watching a 9-5 would be weird and no entertainment at all.

I would rather watch a end to end 2-1 or 1-0 because that is what football is about getting defence midfield and attack right. you obviously don't understand football if you think scoring goals is all it is about.

9-5 would be more reminiscent of a score line if kids were playing in the playground. FOOTBALL = BEST SPORT IN THE WORLD.
Reply 54
As an craazy football fan i can tell you most football fans like me (theres lot of us its the most popular sport in the world) watching a 9-5 would be weird and no entertainment at all.

I would rather watch a end to end 2-1 or 1-0 because that is what football is about getting defence midfield and attack right. you obviously don't understand football if you think scoring goals is all it is about.

9-5 would be more reminiscent of a score line if kids were playing in the playground. FOOTBALL = BEST SPORT IN THE WORLD.

Lol whatever man you're obviously deep into football so I'm not gonna argue with you :tongue: I guess it's weird things like how for jazz listeners the best albums are the ones you don't like instantly because it means the music is deeper hand has more to discover.
My two loves are athletics (to take part in) and football (to watch).

I also like watching cricket, tennis and sometimes rugby union (world cup and six nations). Boxing is entertaining.

Used to like Formula 1, don't like it now.
Sports i like...Formula 1, Tennis, Boxing and sometimes a bit of cricket, rugby and football.

As for sports i dislike...I must admit that i am not a big fan of sports like darts or bowls :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
That is a long list. Is there any sport which you exercise? or are you an unsporting girl?

It is a long list, some of which I just enjoy watching but I do/have taken part in some of them. I’m currently a Blue Belt in Taekwondo, I play forward in Football and I also play left wing in Rugby (I hadn’t mentioned it since I was just stating Olympic Sports though)

I also used to row in the double sculls at my local rowing club but have had to give that up due to commitments with University and work .. too much to do and too little time! :smile:

I like to be active, sport is quite a big part of my life and it's keeps me sane! :smile:
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
(...) I also used to row in the double sculls at my local rowing club but have had to give that up due to commitments with University and work .. too much to do and too little time! :smile:

I like to be active, sport is quite a big part of my life and it's keeps me sane! :smile:

No doubt, you was a sporting girl. Its too bad that you had to give them up. What was your favorite sport? are you going to begin again (anything of them)?
No doubt, you was a sporting girl. Its too bad that you had to give them up. What was your favorite sport? are you going to begin again (anything of them)?

I love Taekwondo it’s the first thing I took up and it’s great for stress relief! Ha-ha
I’ve got quite a few medals out of Taekwondo too I’ve been the British National Patterns Champ and Sparring Champ (Yonks ago! - I had to give Taekwondo up when I moved and I've taken it back up in the last year) and I’ve won quite a few Local and Regional competitions
That said I like the team spirit in Football and Rugby and we’ve done pretty well in Regional competitions
I’ve plan to keep going with the Taekwondo, Football and Rugby but doubt I’ll be able to take up the rowing again .. any time soon anyway, unfortunately just don’t have the time!

How about you? Do you do any sports?

Quick Reply

Latest