The Student Room Group

How do you know what A-levels you want to do

I FREAKING HATE THIS. i'm basically being forced to decide what i want to do for the rest of my life. For me, it's between medicine and politics. Two COMPLETELY different things that i would take COMPLETELY different classes for. And i have no idea what to choose! I mean, if i took all medicine stuff it would be hard to go into politics in uni, and same for politics if i reversed it. How did you decide what to do?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
For me, it is that i stick to one thing that i want to achieve or similar.

e.g: my choices: triple maths and sciences what i can choose is medicine, engineering, chemistry, biochem etc.
Original post by jcholzz
I FREAKING HATE THIS. i'm basically being forced to decide what i want to do for the rest of my life. For me, it's between medicine and politics. Two COMPLETELY different things that i would take COMPLETELY different classes for. And i have no idea what to choose! I mean, if i took all medicine stuff it would be hard to go into politics in uni, and same for politics if i reversed it. How did you decide what to do?

Well I'm choosing Biology, Chemistry, History and English Literature. I really want to do Veterinary Medicine, but as it's competitive and requires high grades, I may realise I can't pursue that during college. So I have English and History to fall back on. Is there no way you could divide your choices like I am? :smile:
Reply 3
Actually from all the politics degree courses I've looked at, none specify any subjects at all, so if you take subjects you need for medicine, you'll be at no disadvantage. You don't need to study politics at A level for a politics degree, and something like History, English or a language will be great for either politics or medicine.
The only struggle would be work experience. Medicine want a lot of voluntary work to show you're committed to studying medicine, Politics want lots of work experience too. In both degrees the work experience and extra curricular activities matter more than what subjects you take (as long as you take chemistry for medicine) .
Well, I wanted to do vet med, so I had to do biology and chemistry. Then I took maths because I like the challenge and unis like it. English lit was my fourth subject as it was my favourite lesson and my back-up plan in life would probably be something to do with lit :biggrin:

If it's the same as vet med, then most unis for medicine will be fine with just biology and chemistry, so as your other two you could do something like lit and history as these would compliment politics well. Or perhaps a foreign language?
Reply 5
I knew that I wanted to do something sciency so I took maths, chemistry and biology at AS because they were my favourite subjects. I didn't really want to do any other subjects, so ended up just doing computing as well, because I thought it might be fun.

It wasn't. I hate it. But now I can drop it, and I have a good combination of subjects for loads of different science courses. Honestly, just do what you enjoy, and it'll take you to where you want to be. Am I right in thinking that law doesn't really require you to have certain subjects? You could do biology, chemistry, maths and then english/history/a language or something? I think maths is quite important if you want to study medicine. It is quite a difficult position! Or maybe you could do biology and chemistry, and then two more essay-based subjects/ a language? I'm not exactly sure on the entry requirements at university... whether maths or physics is essential or not.
I just picked the subjects I enjoyed. I made a stupid mistake at GCSE by picking subjects I hated thinking I'd improve but ended up ****ing up entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest