The Student Room Group

I need to cancel my place at University.

I don't want to post every detail of my business on the internet, but I will say my reason is genuine and I'm actually saddened by the fact that I cannot go to University this year.

If anyone knows how or if I can do this, please let me know. Also, if there is anything I need to do in order to have University to keep my Conditional offer for 2013, let me know about that also.

I have just informed my course leader about this via email but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how holidays work for staff at University, so I posted here, just in case.

Sorry if I sound patronizing.
Reply 1
You need to contact the uni - which you already have done. If you want to keep your place for 2013 then you need to ask to defer. They may agree or they may not. If they do agree then you still need to meet your offer by August 31st 2012, so hopefully your circumstances didn't stop you taking exams.

You'll also need to inform student finance, if appropriate.

You can decide not to go up to the day before you're due to go there, so you don't need to worry about holidays as such. But in the run up to results day uni staff will be in anyway so you should get a reply fairly soon.
Reply 2
Original post by Iola :}
I don't want to post every detail of my business on the internet, but I will say my reason is genuine and I'm actually saddened by the fact that I cannot go to University this year.

If anyone knows how or if I can do this, please let me know. Also, if there is anything I need to do in order to have University to keep my Conditional offer for 2013, let me know about that also.

I have just informed my course leader about this via email but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how holidays work for staff at University, so I posted here, just in case.

I'm sure you can contact the uni and ask them to defer your entry to 2013 :smile: You don't sound patronising as well :biggrin:
Reply 3
that is really sad :frown: sorry.
i'm guessing you should call up ucas as like you said the uni may be on holiday now, ask them how you would go about it. i think your uni may have to release you. you can also defer for 2013 entry but i don't know if it's too late now.
Reply 4
The first post explains it, but im sorry to hear you're in this situation, and I hope whatever circumstances that are preventing you from going to uni will sort itself out for the better :hugs:

Sorry to hear about your situation. They'll have procedures for handling email during staff absences, so don't worry about that, but I think you should phone them on Monday morning anyway, particularly if you want to defer to next year. I don't know how much you told them in your email, but you can understand they'll be more sympathetic to someone with genuine reasons, as opposed to someone who has had a change of mind.
Reply 6
I hope you get things sorted out and you'll be able to go in 2013 :smile: :hugs:
Reply 7

None of that sounds patronizing :confused:

Uni staff usually are usually available from mid(ish) August onwards (source - lecturer).

I had a car crash my first year, so had to defer because i couldn't make the first month. Spoke to administrations and student union (i think). They helped out. As long as you get your marks for entry you shouldn't have a problem. Universities as far as i know are quite lenient in mitigating circumstances, i don't think you will have a problem. Uni staff are available now i think so you may want to ring the university instead of emailing? However you may be better off waiting until you get your results, they'd be a in a better position to tell you exactly what they can do for you,

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply