The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Congrats!! Which Bristol store?? Coz I'm at Patchway! :smile: Pay - £6.28 p/hr for first 12 wks then £6.50 after that. £8.50 and then £8.83 (or something like that) for nights.

Wiked! I go to college in Filton but live in Bedminster so I'll be working in asda Bedminster :smile:
Are you on the deli aswell then? Your pay sounds pretty high for a newbie i'd be well happy with that! Haha. I want to get on some nights and weekend shifts mostly, boost up my flex and pay :smile: xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MelissaJayne
QFA

Had the 'big meeting' stuff today - 13p an hour pay rise from 1st October :biggrin:

Quick q - do you know what happens if I can't transfer to a store in my Uni city? The 5 closest ASDAs to my halls all have no vacancies so I was thinking about trying to get a job term time only in Birmingham (not ASDA) and then come home in holidays and work for ASDA. Can I do this? A couple of people on checkouts do this already, but I had a casual conversation with my section leader, and she seemed to imply that I couldn't be seasonal and just work holidays?? Any ideas???
Had the 'big meeting' stuff today - 13p an hour pay rise from 1st October :biggrin:

Quick q - do you know what happens if I can't transfer to a store in my Uni city? The 5 closest ASDAs to my halls all have no vacancies so I was thinking about trying to get a job term time only in Birmingham (not ASDA) and then come home in holidays and work for ASDA. Can I do this? A couple of people on checkouts do this already, but I had a casual conversation with my section leader, and she seemed to imply that I couldn't be seasonal and just work holidays?? Any ideas???

Yeah, good news! Big up the big meeting. And yeah, you can be a seasonal colleague and just work out of term times but your Asda have the choice whether or not to take you on as seasonal, cos you're actual contract now wont be as a seasonal member of staff. So they could be buggers and say no.
Reply 2083
Yeah, good news! Big up the big meeting. And yeah, you can be a seasonal colleague and just work out of term times but your Asda have the choice whether or not to take you on as seasonal, cos you're actual contract now wont be as a seasonal member of staff. So they could be buggers and say no.

I'm already a seasonal colleague so can I still remain a colleague at my local store even when I move away to another city for uni?
Yeah, it shouldn't matter to the ASDA where you're living when you're not on season at work. As long as your back in your local city when you're due to be working :biggrin:
Reply 2085
it will depend what role you're applying for (I was applying for checkouts) they asked pretty much normal interview questions about previous jobs, why you think you'll be good in the role. Also they then took me on floor and gave me some tasks to do, not sure that would work though as your store isn't open yet. And no the fact I was at uni didn't make any difference they asked what hours I was able to work and then fit my shifts in around my timetable they also changed my shifts at the start of the new semester as my timetable was different :smile:
Reply 2086
I have not received my Pay Slip for last month. And have not seen it in office. Whom do i contact in order to sort this out.

I have asked a manager but they haven't taken it further :frown:. Prob forgot.

Is there a payroll department?
Original post by chocharl
I have not received my Pay Slip for last month. And have not seen it in office. Whom do i contact in order to sort this out.

I have asked a manager but they haven't taken it further :frown:. Prob forgot.

Is there a payroll department?

If you have a personnel department, speak to them. They may ask you to fill in a 'wage query form' so they can sort it out.
Reply 2088
If you have a personnel department, speak to them. They may ask you to fill in a 'wage query form' so they can sort it out.

I work nights so its hard to visit the personnel department as there not in when im working :frown:
Original post by chocharl
I work nights so its hard to visit the personnel department as there not in when im working :frown:

Leave a letter? Or phone during the day?
Leave a letter? Or phone during the day?

I was just about to suggest that!!! :tongue: Good minds think alike :wink:
Just wondering if anyone experienced anything like I have... Two weeks ago, I was emailed to invite me to the magic event. I not only passed the asda magic event but also then passed the one on one interview which included the have a go section. Was complimented by many members of staff... the manager during the one on one interview discussed the shifts he would want me to do and it all seemed extremely positive. Was then told I was going to receive a phone call by the end of the week (that was last week).. no call so i rang them monday and they said that I had been successful but there were no vacancies suitable!!! My availability was extremely flexible as were the departments I was willing to work in! The manager said I would be receiving a letter to arrive the monday of the call and yet it is wednesday now and no sign of a letter either?! waste of my time on two different days and got my hopes up for nothing! Was the 'no vacancies' just a nice way of rejecting me?
Just wondering how far ahead people at other ASDAs get their rota. My boss puts the rota up for a sunday to saturday week on a thursday usually giving me 3 days notice. It is a right pain as I can book nothing a week or 2 ahead.
Original post by H_McNamara
Just wondering if anyone experienced anything like I have... Two weeks ago, I was emailed to invite me to the magic event. I not only passed the asda magic event but also then passed the one on one interview which included the have a go section. Was complimented by many members of staff... the manager during the one on one interview discussed the shifts he would want me to do and it all seemed extremely positive. Was then told I was going to receive a phone call by the end of the week (that was last week).. no call so i rang them monday and they said that I had been successful but there were no vacancies suitable!!! My availability was extremely flexible as were the departments I was willing to work in! The manager said I would be receiving a letter to arrive the monday of the call and yet it is wednesday now and no sign of a letter either?! waste of my time on two different days and got my hopes up for nothing! Was the 'no vacancies' just a nice way of rejecting me?

I had something similar, they sent me an email saying they wanted to offer me a job but there were no vacancies available and things like "You're at the top of the list" etc, the day after 3 jobs pop up on the website all of which I'm perfectly capable of doing. 6 weeks on and I still haven't heard anything back.
Reply 2094
Original post by Augmented hippo
Just wondering how far ahead people at other ASDAs get their rota. My boss puts the rota up for a sunday to saturday week on a thursday usually giving me 3 days notice. It is a right pain as I can book nothing a week or 2 ahead.

Well, I'm a seasonal colleague so they can call me in to work any time. Once I got called at 14:45, or something to come in at 17:00 which is 2 hours and 15 mins notice time, haha.
Original post by flyingcat
I had something similar, they sent me an email saying they wanted to offer me a job but there were no vacancies available and things like "You're at the top of the list" etc, the day after 3 jobs pop up on the website all of which I'm perfectly capable of doing. 6 weeks on and I still haven't heard anything back.

That's exactly what was said to me! It's ridiculous and people shouldn't be able to be treated like this!
I got a job interview there next week, I think it is a group one like wtf -.-

Anyways can someone tell me what I will expect ? thanks ! (:
Reply 2097
Hourly pay is going up to £6.63 from October? Is that like officially official?
Original post by Jazzeh
Hourly pay is going up to £6.63 from October? Is that like officially official?

Yep :biggrin:
go on the pay rise! 1 more fruit salad chew per hour. Get in.

Quick Reply