The Student Room Group

tried to dye my hair blonde and it went orange/yellow ginger. what do i do?

i have medium brown hair i want very light natural looking blonde hair. have dyed it twice in two days and it still looks ginger orangey yellow. what do i do?

ive been told use toner. what is this and what does it do. how do i use it.

thanks guys.

Scroll to see replies

Upload pics.
Reply 2
Original post by Stephen857
i have medium brown hair i want very light natural looking blonde hair. have dyed it twice in two days and it still looks ginger orangey yellow. what do i do?

ive been told use toner. what is this and what does it do. how do i use it.

thanks guys.

Go to Boots

Go to the hair dye section

Look for Blonde Toner

They will have plenty of choice
#Firstworldproblems

lol OJ

Rather than try to correct it yourself, even though it's more expensive get a hairdresser to do it. They will know what to do and how to put it right
You can lighten your hair with lemons.
There are home remedy videos for hair lightening!
Hope this helps!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Toner is the solution. I had the same problem. I bleached my dark brown almost black hair to blonde, but it was quiet orangey and yellow. But it was the right level of lightness I wanted. After some youtube research, I figured out to use toner to fix it. If you're unsure, maybe go to a hairdresser and ask for their advice on what you should do. Say thanks, and that you'll think about it. Then after you know what to do on the salon's advice, do it yourself at home to save money. Unless you're quiet scared you will mess it up, then spend the extra money and have the professionals take care of it.
Oh I did this! I was gingerish for 2/3 days because I didn't want to fry my hair lol embarrassing!!!!

Sometimes putting your hair up will make it look slightly less bad :tongue:

Anyway, my problem was the hair dye itself! You'll notice that most hair dyes say how many shades brighter it can make your hair. Invest in a hair lightener that says 7 shades brighter instead, I got mine in superdrug - it's the same price. I could get my dark brown hair into blonde like in my photo in one go :smile: Obviously be careful if you don't want it that light.

Toners are also great but I did use toners with the original hair dye that made my hair gingerish and it didn't make much of a difference so therefore it might not be what your looking for. If I were you, try a toner first, if not change the hair dye and if it still won't get rid of the ginger tinge then definately spend that money at the hairdressers lol luckily I managed to fix mine, I hope you do too :smile:
Reply 7
by hair stiper then re dy it
Reply 9
Never heard of this toner thing, when i dyed my hair and it went a rather bright shade of orange [something akin to a sainsburys bag] i just dumped more hair dye on till it went blonde ... terrible for your hair, excellent for not looking like a carrot :tongue:
Your two options are to either bleach it (not hair dye - actual bleach); or to tone it, depending how light it is and what your desired shade is. You could put a picture up to help?

If you decide to bleach again, go to boots or superdrug and buy Jerome Russel hair lightener. It is the only one on the market which is strong enough to really lighten it. If however you are happy with the lightness and just want to go a natural blonde shade and get rid of the yellow/orange, then i would suggest that you buy a toner. I recently used one from the same people who make colour-b4, it costs about £12 in boots which is a bit pricey but it certainly works, look for 'iced platinum hair toner' in a box with a girl on the front who has like white blonde hair. I am always changing my hair colour and recently had a nightmare with orange/yellow hair and this has helped loads! I used about 1/4 of a tube each week, leaving it on for like an hour :smile: good luck!
go to sally's! it's better quality than you get in boots. Did you use blue powder bleach?

don't know why i got negged.. hairdressers go there for their products...
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't use a blonde hair dye, just use a straight bleaching/blonding kit (so, something that bleaches your hair only, with no other dyes or colours to make it more "ashy" or "golden"). I made that mistake and ended up with a similar colour. Or, use some pale blue hair dye, it counteracts the yellow and will make those tones more brown instead.
If you don't even know what toner is I suggest you step back and leave it to the professionals.....:rolleyes:
Original post by ilex_noemi
Oh I did this! I was gingerish for 2/3 days because I didn't want to fry my hair lol embarrassing!!!!

Sometimes putting your hair up will make it look slightly less bad :tongue:

Anyway, my problem was the hair dye itself! You'll notice that most hair dyes say how many shades brighter it can make your hair. Invest in a hair lightener that says 7 shades brighter instead, I got mine in superdrug - it's the same price. I could get my dark brown hair into blonde like in my photo in one go :smile: Obviously be careful if you don't want it that light.

Toners are also great but I did use toners with the original hair dye that made my hair gingerish and it didn't make much of a difference so therefore it might not be what your looking for. If I were you, try a toner first, if not change the hair dye and if it still won't get rid of the ginger tinge then definately spend that money at the hairdressers lol luckily I managed to fix mine, I hope you do too :smile:

Hey! :smile: what brand of dye did you get from superdrug?? I use LIVE XXL platinum on mine but it's still chuffing ginger haha x
Maybe you can get it sorted out at a hair dressers? :3
Original post by roselawson
Hey! :smile: what brand of dye did you get from superdrug?? I use LIVE XXL platinum on mine but it's still chuffing ginger haha x

http://www.superdrug.com/hair-colourants/smart-beauty-toner-honey-blonde/invt/285750

That's the one I use :smile:
I never tried live xxl
ahh cheers :smile: xx
Reply 18
I'm a hairdresser hair toners remove unwanted tones I.e brassy gold tones u can get colours with built in toners at sallys hair and beauty suppliers NOT. BOOTS you will need a colour with a.. 1 on the end like a 5.1 or 4.1 which will gradually do it but you will notice a
Difference first time. they will help you there also you can buy a straight toner Which is very strong and zapps all tones out quickly but I suggest you leave that to a professional they need to be watched carefully hope this helped
I have the same problem! I'm going to get colour remover and start again, you were talking about getting a toner, a toner makes you hair go lighter or darker! Hope everything goes well for you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending