The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL MRes Synthetic Biology 2012-2013 postgraduate course

Hi all
Looking for anyone else on the MRes synthetic biology course at ucl starting this september!
cheers
--Yoma
Reply 1
Most probably me.. But I'm not 100% sure yet.
Where r u from?
R u joining this?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Ah hello, I am from the UK so not a major move for me specifically down south.
Why are you not sure about the course? Did you get funding for it? Where are you from?
Cheers
Yoma
Edit:yes I have accepted a place on the course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm searching for a PhD as well. I have accepted the place but I'm a bit confused. I think synthetic biology should be better for me though. They gave me tuition fees funding, Did u get funding? Where did you study?
I'm from Greece.
Cheers stamati
Reply 4
I went to Southampton university. I got the uk funding so i should be comfortable enough.
The thing you have to remember is that its not worth doing a course you dont enjoy. This is especially true of a PhD.
Funding yourself in london is going to be expensive so if you are not sure of what you want to do then take a year out in industry, it's what i have done.
You are likely to become undesirable if (for example) you take an MRes in Synthetic biology and then apply for a PhD in immunology or something unrelated as it makes you look indecisive.
What PhD are you looking for?
cheers
Yoma
Reply 5
The subject is not my problem. My ideal would be biofuel synthetic biology. I have already done some work on biohydrogen synthetic biology. The only reason I would select a PhD at the moment is financial. But most probably I will go for UCL. I believe that it is a career opener.. so..
What did you study? do you have fb?
Reply 6
check your private messages
Reply 7
Completely shameless self bump in the hope i can find anyone else.
Reply 8
Hello there,
I applied literally last minute and got an offer and tuition fees covered, so stoked.
I'm a little bit daunted tbh, having done biology my biochem and maths isn't as good as some, but it should be excellent training and hopefully lead to exciting applications. Look forward to meeting you all! I live in London btw
Toby
Reply 9
Hi Toby
check your private messages in 2 minutes!
Tom
Reply 10
shameless second self bump
Reply 11
Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying for the synthetic biology course. The course sounds interesting and I particularity like how much you get to spend in the lab however I'm worried about synthetic biology being just hype.

Can everyone please let me know their experience with the course and synthetic biology and if it's more than the iGEM i.e. is there more to synthetic biology than the iGEM competition.

Krunal.
Reply 12
Original post by 81968
Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying for the synthetic biology course. The course sounds interesting and I particularity like how much you get to spend in the lab however I'm worried about synthetic biology being just hype.

Can everyone please let me know their experience with the course and synthetic biology and if it's more than the iGEM i.e. is there more to synthetic biology than the iGEM competition.

Krunal.

Hi krunal

The MRes is nothing like igem. Its a masters level reseach project.
My advice for you is to go and speak to john ward who runs the course.
I just finished and found it excellent.
If you are ucl based I am breifly about this monday (28th)
Cheers
Original post by yoma819
Hi krunal

The MRes is nothing like igem. Its a masters level reseach project.
My advice for you is to go and speak to john ward who runs the course.
I just finished and found it excellent.
If you are ucl based I am breifly about this monday (28th)
Cheers

Hi Yoma, was wondering if you could share your experiences with the course, I am hoping to apply for this MRes course too! (Hopefully you still sort of use student room! haha!)

Quick Reply

Latest