The Student Room Group

Wearing contact lenses twice in one day?

I usually wear contact lenses for about 8-10 hours a day, but if I am going out in the evening after college would it be safe to put a second pair in (I use dailies)

i.e
Wear one pair from 7am-4pm
Take them out and let my eyes rest whilst at home.
Wear a second pair from 6pm-11pm

Does anyone do this and is it safe for my eyes?
I do this, and I've never had any problems. I should imagine that it's better for your eyes to change them rather than leave the same pair in for so long :smile:

If your still worried, ask your optician, but I don't see why it would be a problem.
Reply 2
I use monthlies, so I wouldn't know if you should use a new pair, but with mine I'm always fine. Generally I won't even take them out. I would take glasses just in case, my eyes sometimes get gritty and uncomfortable if I've kept my contacts in too long. It doesn't often happen, but better to be safe than sorry.
It won't harm you at all - people wear them all day, so why would it even be an issue?
Reply 4
Yeah I think it's fine, I wear dailies and can keep them in for 12-16 hours with no problems. If your eyes feel dry or uncomfortable you can always take them out, or you can buy a dry eyes solution for contact lenses from boots which can help. If your eyes feel dry just put a few drops in and it relieves them.
Reply 5
what i do is just take the contact out and add abit of solution and pop it back in my eye if my eyes feel dry, not sure if its the best thing to do but it works for me!
Reply 6
Don't think it'd cause any problems
Reply 7
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
It won't harm you at all - people wear them all day, so why would it even be an issue?

I thought it's recommended you don't wear them more than 8 hours a day? That's why it might be a problem I suppose.
Reply 8
Original post by ily_em
I thought it's recommended you don't wear them more than 8 hours a day? That's why it might be a problem I suppose.

Depends on the type of lenses you have. I think you can wear dailies for basically as long as it's comfortable (as long as you don't sleep in them or re-use)
Reply 9
Original post by jennifex
Yeah I think it's fine, I wear dailies and can keep them in for 12-16 hours with no problems. If your eyes feel dry or uncomfortable you can always take them out, or you can buy a dry eyes solution for contact lenses from boots which can help. If your eyes feel dry just put a few drops in and it relieves them.

Which brand of lenses do you use... I use acuvue trueye daily disposables and after the 8 hour mark they start irritating my eyes and my eyes become red what do you wear?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
It's not recommended, because dailies are not as robust as reusable lenses. But it won't do much harm wearing them twice assuming that you place them safely in a sterile case with solution.
Reply 11
Original post by 19Arif91
Which brand of lenses do you use... I use acuvue trueye daily disposables and after the 8 hour mark they start irritating my eyes and my eyes become red what do you wear?

I use ciba vision dailies but it depends on your eyes really, not the type of lenses you wear. Some people can keep dailies in for longer than others. I also use contact lense eye drops from boots if it starts to feel dry.
Reply 12
Original post by jennifex
I use ciba vision dailies but it depends on your eyes really, not the type of lenses you wear. Some people can keep dailies in for longer than others. I also use contact lense eye drops from boots if it starts to feel dry.

I also use eye drops to rewet the eyes if it gets dry I use blink eye drops what about you?

Reply 13
I also use eye drops to rewet the eyes if it gets dry I use blink eye drops what about you? Do you use air optix aqua dailies or monthlies i need some advice on getting lenses so far I've tried two brands acuvue and frequency 55 and neither have done the trick... So I'm looking to invest and really take good care of my eyes... Which one would you recommend dailies or monthlies of air optix aqua and what eye drops do you use to rewet the eyes if it gets the dry... I'm asking you all this cos you seem like a person who knows what they're talking about when it comes to contact lenses... I hate it when I remove my contacts and my eyes get red automatically or after like 8 hours my get red and dry and irritating... Bloodshot eyes lol... It's not a very good sight trust me... I want my sclera to be as white as white lol thanks for your help btw

Shouldn't be a problem i wear monthly for 16 hours a day...

Reply 15
Original post by CosmicVengeance
Shouldn't be a problem i wear monthly for 16 hours a day...

Which ones do you wear

Which ones do you wear

Its in the answer lol "Monthly" only £8 a month

My eyes never get dried up after 16h of wearing them (you just need to make sure you blink normally which keeps them smooth)

Reply 18
Original post by Hapiness-
I usually wear contact lenses for about 8-10 hours a day, but if I am going out in the evening after college would it be safe to put a second pair in (I use dailies)

i.e
Wear one pair from 7am-4pm
Take them out and let my eyes rest whilst at home.
Wear a second pair from 6pm-11pm

Does anyone do this and is it safe for my eyes?

If you plan to do this then switch to monthlies using two pairs of contacts a day is a waste of money. Also because you are wearing them longer then monthlys would be more comfortable. I had dailies for a year and a half and then had to switch because of expense and i was really surpriced to find that monthlies were more confortable. And i would like to add i didnt have cheap dailies either i had the ciba vision dailies aquacomfort plus.
Reply 19
Hi I use acuvue moist 1-day and they are brilliant but by night I remove them and I'm left with a lot of bacteria and protein left in my eyes with which I go to sleep... Are there any drops to disinfect the eyes after a gruelling day of contacts some advice I just want to refresh my eyes readying them for the next day if u knw wot I mean lol

Quick Reply

Latest