The Student Room Group

Lawyer guns down his sister in Pakistani court in new low for Honour Killings

Described islamic honour killings by families who believe their daughters have disgraced them are increasingly common in Pakistan. But the gunning down last week of a woman by her brother, a lawyer, Javed Iqbal Shaikh in front of dozens of witnesses in a packed courtroom in the bustling city of Hyderabad marks an alarming new low

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/05/pakistani-wife-marriage-brother
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm no proponent of Islam but to be fair, you can't really call honour killings Islamic. Yes, there is issue with a few Muslims over the fact that a women must get male's (her father usually) consent to get married but nowhere does it state that they (women) should be killed if they marry a man without consent or against their fathers wishes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
And some people, I call them white european liberal-nihilist suicidists, say that no culture is superior to another, and criticising a culture, or suggesting the western european culture is superior in specific areas, let alone generally, is ... racist.
Original post by prog2djent
And some people, I call them white european liberal-nihilist suicidists, say that no culture is superior to another, and criticising a culture, or suggesting the western european culture is superior in specific areas, let alone generally, is ... racist.

there has been no critisism of any culture, only critisism of honour killings and observation of their incidence even to this extreme, in islamic community
Original post by yomomalomo
I'm no proponent of Islam but to be fair, you can't really call honour killings Islamic. Yes, there is issue with a few Muslims over the fact that a women must get male's (her father usually) consent to get married but nowhere does it state that they (women) should be killed if they marry a man without consent or against their fathers wishes.

So? If the main perpetrators are Muslim, then it is an Islamic problem.

Using the argument that you did is just a cop-out to avoid being branded a "racist".
Things like this happen regularly throughout the Indian subcontinent committed by people of all religions unfortunately.

"So-called islamic honour killings by families who believe their daughters have disgraced them are increasingly common in Pakistan. But the gunning down last week of a woman by her brother, a lawyer, Javed Iqbal Shaikh in front of dozens of witnesses in a packed courtroom in the bustling city of Hyderabad marks an alarming new low."

Well done for inserting a word in a quote that isn't even there in the article :congrats: New low for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well acording to Islamic law he would get the death penalty tbh.
Reply 7
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
there has been no critisism of any culture, only critisism of honour killings and observation of their incidence even to this extreme, in islamic community

I know there hasn't I was just making a general point.

And I think its pretty well obvious "honour" killings are a big feature in Pakistan and India, I can imagine this takes place in Far-east countries, as well as being engraved in their histories, i'm sure it happens widely in Arab and African countries, seems to me only europe hasn't really gone through this. I mean, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing, the only thing that is visable in europe seems to be imported ........
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C

Using the argument that you did is just a cop-out to avoid being branded a "racist".

I would not class honour killings as an Islamic problem but more of an Indian subcontinent problem. Honour killings to occur in the Indian subcontinent outside of Muslim communities, it has been carried out by Hindus before - for example. Honour killings happen very infrequently in most of the rest of the Islamic world - they are mainly due to the backward conditions of the inhabitants and not the actual religion.

Another reason why I claim it is not an Islamic problem is that there is no foundation for the practice in any of their religious scriptures - even the apocryphal ones. I criticise Islam about their law on apostasy for example because it is something that is referenced in their scripture, honour killings are not, however,so are neither Islamic culturally or scripturally.
Reply 9

Because it mainly happens in south Asian countries... It's rare it happens in white Muslims, and black Muslims as well. Hindus and Sikhs where it is common in south Asian countries, happen too so it is not Islamic problem.
Sorry, when I found out the op just inserted 'Islamic' into that quote I had to laugh.
Original post by humza100
If a few Muslims do something it doesnt make it an Islamic thing. Especially since it goes against Islam. If it was Christians people wouldn't say that it was Christianity's fault they would say it was a few people, not the whole religion

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire Z

The fact is, it isn't a problem with Christianity. Instead of creating hypothetical situations, review your religion.
Hence the air quotes around racism to show that it would be chucked around without consideration for its meaning. Do I have to spell it out? Evidently.

How can it be a 'cultural' problem when it occurs in Muslim communities all over the world? The Muslims in this country don't have the same culture as those in Pakistan or Nigeria.
True, correlation =/= causation.

So was the great train robbery a white problem? All white people need to apologise for the robbers actions? :dunce:
Reply 15
What I'm saying is that due to aforementioned characteristics clearly applying to 'Indo-Chinese...' It is therefore understandable why he would 1) doctor the original quote 2) post an inflammatory article to provoke such a reaction.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
"So-called islamic honour killings by families who believe their daughters have disgraced them are increasingly common in Pakistan. But the gunning down last week of a woman by her brother, a lawyer, Javed Iqbal Shaikh in front of dozens of witnesses in a packed courtroom in the bustling city of Hyderabad marks an alarming new low."

Dude, I gotta give you props for sneaking that in there.

"So-called honour killings by families who believe their daughters have disgraced them are increasingly common in Pakistan" - The acutal snippet. Come on now, you didn't think someone wouldn't notice?

Haha changing the quote to fit your views, you're pathetic lol
Original post by NuckingFut
So was the great train robbery a white problem? All white people need to apologise for the robbers actions? :dunce:

1 Great Train Robbery versus, what, millions of honour killings? You may wish to use that emoticon on yourself if you think that you have presented a legitimate argument.

Once again, we have people chucking down utter dross to escape the main problem. I don't even care. It's not like I'm the one being killed for wanting to marry someone.
Yeah yeah the OP snuck in the word "Islamic". We get it.

The real question is, how the hell did her brother sneak a gun into court? The security procedures must have been a joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending