The Student Room Group

Lawyer guns down his sister in Pakistani court in new low for Honour Killings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
So? If the main perpetrators are Muslim, then it is an Islamic problem.

Using the argument that you did is just a cop-out to avoid being branded a "racist".

No, an Islamic problems suggests that the ideology promotes so called honour killings, that is factually wrong.
Original post by High VOLTAGE
No, an Islamic problems suggests that the ideology promotes so called honour killings, that is factually wrong.

To you.

To me, an Islamic problem is one that primarily affects the adherents. Which, this does.
Reply 22
Wow inserting "Islamic" into the article. Bloody hell.
Reply 23
OP is a disingenuous prat for inserting his words in to a quote in order to suit his own anti-Islamic narrative.

The phenomenon was less to do with "cultural and social practices" and more to do with "the complete absence of the rule of law".

I agree with this.
Reply 24
This is strictly a cultural issue, not an Islamic one. "O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness..." (Qur'an, 4:19)
Muslims =/= Islam. The Holocaust was caused by Christians. That must mean Christianity is to be blamed for it all, right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
So? If the main perpetrators are Muslim, then it is an Islamic problem.

Using the argument that you did is just a cop-out to avoid being branded a "racist".

But if Islam has happened to be spread to these areas where culture in which honour killings exist, is it really a problem of Islam as a community?
To you.

To me, an Islamic problem is one that primarily affects the adherents. Which, this does.

Cool, so you have no proof Islam teaches these terrible acts?
Original post by Oiseaux
This is strictly a cultural issue, not an Islamic one. "O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness..." (Qur'an, 4:19)
Muslims =/= Islam. The Holocaust was caused by Christians. That must mean Christianity is to be blamed for it all, right?

The difference between culture and religion is one that many people, either on purpose or by their own ignorance fail to understand *sigh*
Trouble is tho if we start saying how things should be in pakistan what argument do we have against pakistanis who think their culture is better and want an islamic europe? It means we can be painted as the aggressor. Id boot them out of the commonwealth and leave them to it. It ridiculous them being in it anyway while they train terrorists to kill our troops and hide bin laden.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by green.tea
Trouble is tho if we start saying how things should be in pakistan what argument do we have against pakistanis who think their culture is better and want an islamic europe? It means we can be painted as the aggressor. Id boot them out of the commonwealth and leave them to it. It ridiculous them being in it anyway while they train terrorists to kill our troops and hide bin laden.

You don't sound very happy about what's you think is going on in Pakistan :frown: . Because a group of utter di******* decide they want to represent a while community of people and inherent Pakistan as there place of residence does that mean the whole of Pakistan is to suffer? And I highly doubt Pakistan hid binladin and before you go into conspiracy theory's let me remind you that there are enough conspiracies to even deny that America killed or even found bin laden in Pakistan so please don't be a ignorant t**t and learn to appreciate the good things about other people and not just go with what your local newspaper headline says chances are its b******t.
Original post by Awyk
You don't sound very happy about what's you think is going on in Pakistan :frown: . Because a group of utter di******* decide they want to represent a while community of people and inherent Pakistan as there place of residence does that mean the whole of Pakistan is to suffer? And I highly doubt Pakistan hid binladin and before you go into conspiracy theory's let me remind you that there are enough conspiracies to even deny that America killed or even found bin laden in Pakistan so please don't be a ignorant t**t and learn to appreciate the good things about other people and not just go with what your local newspaper headline says chances are its b******t.

Oh ok. We'll complain, sanction, threaten, present our ideas through media and do our best to argue your ideas down while preventing you from taking measures to counter our influence until all your women are getting drunk and wearing mini skirts/liberated if you'd prefer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by High VOLTAGE
Cool, so you have no proof Islam teaches these terrible acts?

Quote where I said that Islam teaches this. I want those exact words. No inferring. No anything other than 'Islam teaches honour killings'.

I await an apology.
Reply 32
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Oh ok. We'll complain, sanction, threaten, present our ideas through media and do our best to argue your ideas down while preventing you from taking measures to counter our influence until all your women are getting drunk and wearing mini skirts/liberated if you'd prefer.

You made no sense at all mate seriously? I'm not protecting Pakistan just saying this view that everyone has is complete and utter b*******.
Original post by Awyk
You made no sense at all mate seriously? I'm not protecting Pakistan just saying this view that everyone has is complete and utter b*******.

Its called meta ethical moral relativism.
it is a cultural aspect of islam to marry only a muslim and for the senior males of the household to decide who the women marry - this has been throughout the islamic world for centuries, it is also within the power of the males to beat females that dont obey - so only the those ignorant of how islam actually works claimes otherwise. hence why such killings occur in various islamic cultures, not just pakistan. Honour killings also occur for non religious reasons too - but in terms of muslim countries, all culture is driven by islam FIRST, that is a requirement of being a muslim.
Original post by Maxima
Dude, I gotta give you props for sneaking that in there.

"So-called honour killings by families who believe their daughters have disgraced them are increasingly common in Pakistan" - The acutal snippet. Come on now, you didn't think someone wouldn't notice?

its true though dude isnt it -

if it were javed smith the zen buddhist, he wouldnt have turned up to court and shot his sister for a marriage dispute, would he ?

Hmmm ..... women wearing miniskirts ------- women getting shot by family members for marriage decisions - which is healthier for society... :dontknow:
It's just tremendously sad. Unfortunately, in some places in the World women are still deprived of their human rights. It's unforgivable that in this day and age women are treated as secondary citizens and 'property' of men; regardless of ANY culture or religion.

From the article:
'According to the latest survey of violence against women by the Aurat Foundation, a rights group, there were 2,341 honour killings in 2011 in Pakistan a 27% jump on the year before. The report also said there were more than 8,000 abductions and 3,461 rapes and gang rapes.'

Just disgusting.
I think you need to learn to read in that case, i didnt edit anything- it was mod edited due to presumabley your whining lol. Neither was it 'word play' nor was i being 'ripped' - im perfectly entitled to making any comment relevant to the matter - an islam is relevant here, as it has been in the numerous honour killing we have had in this country which laregely feature muslims. To deflect this point as you attempt is to try sweep a serious issue under the carpet, whch is frankly dispicable.

Pakistan is an country run under islamic law, far more strict islamically than most muslim countries.
as i said already, murder - which is all this is, occur for various reasons, non religious AND religion, ie islamic reasoning like these - in the same way a muslim killed a leaver of islam, or an adulterer - these are also islamic related killings
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest