The Student Room Group

Might have messed up AS exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loopy786
I suppose I've got nothing to lose. I was going to have Oxford as my highest and then apply for Unis. that want AAB or ABB at A2 as well just in case my predictions are really crap.

It was more family issues than personal illness, but the consequences of the situation meant that this year has been ridiculous. This year I did Maths., some FM exams., Bio., and Chem. and already had A in French. Looking at A in Maths., A in FM, C in Chem. and E in Bio., potentially. At A2 I will probably get D3/D2 in Hist. Pre-U and A* in Maths., and I am sure I can get at least an A in Chem. A2 after some retakes, maybe not an A* but an A at least!! :frown: It's just some of these exams. I've mucked up and I'm sure I could do well if I retook!!

Oxford said that realistically, they won't consider you if your predictions are less than A*AA but I'm thinking, if my school predict me a B or less in Chemistry, it won't reflect well. :s-smilie: My GCSEs are better than average, though. I don't even know, guess I'll have to wait and then hope my teachers understand. I'm not stupid, I know I can do things and learn and go upwards. SIGH.

Oxbridge is extremely competitive, as you know. Even the best of the best don't make it! Realistically you need to be able to meet the required A-level grades, A*AA - AAA etc. If you are an exceptional candidate apparently the will offer you lower/unconditional. The majority of Oxbridge students have 80% A* at GCSE, but this is not compulsory. For Oxbridge, you must disclose your unit marks which show your UMS scores. E.g. BY1 100% etc! If you're dedicated, (seems like you are :smile: ) then you could achieve higher grades by re-take. Regarding your Chemistry, If you're applying for it as a degree, Oxford or Cambridge will typically like your A* in this subject. You're doing very well in your maths. Do you not want to take that further? Do you really enjoy your Chemistry? I think you have nothing to lose! You might as well go for it! :smile: You don't want to end up regretting never trying!

Good luck! :smile: xxx
Reply 21
Original post by BethanyJane
Oxbridge is extremely competitive, as you know. Even the best of the best don't make it! Realistically you need to be able to meet the required A-level grades, A*AA - AAA etc. If you are an exceptional candidate apparently the will offer you lower/unconditional. The majority of Oxbridge students have 80% A* at GCSE, but this is not compulsory. For Oxbridge, you must disclose your unit marks which show your UMS scores. E.g. BY1 100% etc! If you're dedicated, (seems like you are :smile: ) then you could achieve higher grades by re-take. Regarding your Chemistry, If you're applying for it as a degree, Oxford or Cambridge will typically like your A* in this subject. You're doing very well in your maths. Do you not want to take that further? Do you really enjoy your Chemistry? I think you have nothing to lose! You might as well go for it! :smile: You don't want to end up regretting never trying!

Good luck! :smile: xxx

I understand. You don't need to show UMS for Oxford, though, and I'm not applying to Cambridge because I don't want to do NatSci. Maths. is even more competitive, and whilst my Maths. is good, I really do enjoy Chemistry and I am so fascinated by the nature of atoms and how Chemists can take substances and react them together to form something completely new, that has always captivated me from the start. I just really want to learn more about Chemistry, and am especially interested in Physical Chemistry, which requires a strong background in Maths. anyway, or even Physics. The thing is, I've always loved Chemistry and the only reason why I'm doubting myself is because of grades. :frown: I think I will try anyway; I went on the UNIQ Oxford Summer School for Chem. and having seen what kind of life a scientist leads there, inside and outside the labs., I think I'd kick myself for not applying. It's just being immersed in Chemistry, and the tutorial system- that's what appeals to me the most.
Reply 22
Original post by darbyj
I can empathise with that, I was fortunate in a sense because it occurred a couple of years before my GCSEs, so I had enough time to adjust.

I haven't looked at Oxford recently, but if I remember correctly, Oxford isn't utilising the A* grade yet (that may have changed since I was looking). It is possible that they may consider you off the strength of your Maths results, particularly if your school mentions the personal difficulties you've been experiencing in their reference. There is always the possibility they'll give you an interview, they're not cold and heartless, and if they think there's a reasonable chance that you could have performed better, they will probably give you an interview. At least then you can show your passion for chemistry :smile:

EDIT: I stand corrected; just checked the Oxford site, and apparently they do ask for A*AA nowadays.

I went on the UNIQ Summer School and we saw a mock interview, plus had an admissions talk, and in that it was said that whilst they don't bother about your AS results as much, it's your predicted grades and performance at interview with GCSE grades that count. See, I think I could come out well in those three factors, but I'm still worried that as a result of bad AS performance, I won't get good predicted grades. SIGH And to add insult to injury, my school doesn't think I can get in, but UNIQ says that the reason why I got on was because I stand a realistic chance of making a competitive application, so it's mixed signals everywhere! I just really hope I can get an interview, and give them whatever they're looking for. I hope my school does mention my difficulties, but do you ever have that feeling where you feel like you're making excuses? I mean, my form tutor thinks it's a legit reason but I'm so determined to be assessed on merit and blah blah that I feel really guilty that I'm complaining about my situation and ARGH moral dilemmas suck.
I understand. You don't need to show UMS for Oxford, though, and I'm not applying to Cambridge because I don't want to do NatSci. Maths. is even more competitive, and whilst my Maths. is good, I really do enjoy Chemistry and I am so fascinated by the nature of atoms and how Chemists can take substances and react them together to form something completely new, that has always captivated me from the start. I just really want to learn more about Chemistry, and am especially interested in Physical Chemistry, which requires a strong background in Maths. anyway, or even Physics. The thing is, I've always loved Chemistry and the only reason why I'm doubting myself is because of grades. :frown: I think I will try anyway; I went on the UNIQ Oxford Summer School for Chem. and having seen what kind of life a scientist leads there, inside and outside the labs., I think I'd kick myself for not applying. It's just being immersed in Chemistry, and the tutorial system- that's what appeals to me the most.

Your passion is bound to help you! I think you should have a little faith :smile: You have probably done really well! If not, retake. You can explain about the circumstances which impacted your grades. Universities take this into account! It is the love of the subject which will appeal most to them, and with your maths grades being high it might be best to just retake the Chem! You might not even need to! :smile: xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by BethanyJane
Your passion is bound to help you! I think you should have a little faith :smile: You have probably done really well! If not, retake. You can explain about the circumstances which impacted your grades. Universities take this into account! It is the love of the subject which will appeal most to them, and with your maths grades being high it might be best to just retake the Chem! You might not even need to! :smile: xx

Thanks, I hope you're right. I'm just going to give it my all anyway, who cares about naysayers, this is something I have to get for myself because there is no way a person can learn undergrad. Chem. on their own in private study without going to Uni. I have these sporadic bursts of confidence followed straight by utter sadness and I just wish my mind would stop changing so frequently!! :smile:
Thanks, I hope you're right. I'm just going to give it my all anyway, who cares about naysayers, this is something I have to get for myself because there is no way a person can learn undergrad. Chem. on their own in private study without going to Uni. I have these sporadic bursts of confidence followed straight by utter sadness and I just wish my mind would stop changing so frequently!! :smile:

Haha! Good :smile: Yes, same here. I'm thinking about applying, but I want to see my grades first. Plus it would be for Law and I need to do an extensive amount of reading (I didn't take it for AS!) It's all a bit hit and miss at the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest