The Student Room Group

need some help, what choices do i have?

i have done poor results in my a levels chemistry - c, physics - D, biology - E.
that was back in june 2010. after that i gave up studying so to speak and had two gap years thus far. Now i want to study again and want to enter a university. what choices do i have if at all? also my dad tells me to enter a polytechnic. I have zero knowledge about polytechnics. In the long run i want a university degree. can anyone guide me a bit, I am quite lost and would appreciate the help.

A second query..I wanted to study medicine before i did bad in my a levels and i heard that is the most high grade demanding subject. what alternative do i have next to medicine? would it be possible for me to study medicine somehow?
Reply 1
Original post by epicphail
i have done poor results in my a levels chemistry - c, physics - D, biology - E.
that was back in june 2010. after that i gave up studying so to speak and had two gap years thus far. Now i want to study again and want to enter a university. what choices do i have if at all? also my dad tells me to enter a polytechnic. I have zero knowledge about polytechnics. In the long run i want a university degree. can anyone guide me a bit, I am quite lost and would appreciate the help.

A second query..I wanted to study medicine before i did bad in my a levels and i heard that is the most high grade demanding subject. what alternative do i have next to medicine? would it be possible for me to study medicine somehow?

Without retaking your A Levels/ some modules, the best option would be to do a foundation year in a biomedical science/ related subject, as these courses let you on with lower A Levels. You could then go on to do a full degree afterwards, probably in a Biomedicine area. You could then do a postgraduate Medical degree if you still wanted to go into medicine.
Hope that helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Polytechnics haven't existed for 20 years have they?
Reply 3
I can answer your first question

Go to the university websites and look for a foundation course for which every course you want to do. So for example if you by chance wanted to do Maths then some unis may have a foundation course in maths. After this u will join the normal course and get a degree in 3 years. The foundation course is usually used for people to catch up to the level needed at unis. I think you would get a place at some uni if u went on this method.

for the 2nd question I would not recommend medicine at all. You got an E in Bio and a C in chem. Both important! I also would have liked to do it but I did not and got BBC in maths,chem and physics
Reply 4
For the latter, you could always do a post graduate degree in medicine, currently the government pays for post graduate medicine courses however they are even more competitive to get into than at undergrad level.

Also you could consider Foundation degrees its all good.

Also Polytechnic is a bit an a anachronism, there are plenty of colleges that offer degrees, also there is the open university.

Quick Reply

Latest