The Student Room Group

So what exactly happens on A-level results day?

(edited 11 years ago)
You go on UCAS see what it says - it won't show your results just whether your F/I have made a decision and sent that decision to UCAS.

You get your results - then depending what your results are and what Track says you either celebrate or hit the phones. The flowchart in my sig spells it out.
Reply 2
Last year most people found out whether they were in through track, but I know people who found out before 8am if they'd got into uni. UCAS didn't show results it was either a congrats or commiserations (or whatever they say when you don't get in). If you don't get your results then you do a ring around or ring your uni because sometimes they still accept people, depending on course and uni.

Make sure you get the Independent on results day because they have a massive clearings list which can be really helpful.
But this is all from 2011 I don't how much the UCAS stuff has changed this year.
Original post by clumsybear
Last year most people found out whether they were in through track, but I know people who found out before 8am if they'd got into uni. UCAS didn't show results it was either a congrats or commiserations (or whatever they say when you don't get in). If you don't get your results then you do a ring around or ring your uni because sometimes they still accept people, depending on course and uni.

Make sure you get the Independent on results day because they have a massive clearings list which can be really helpful.
But this is all from 2011 I don't how much the UCAS stuff has changed this year.

Last year Track crashed and most people ended up ringing...

This year Track should be fine - but they've changed the official clearing listings newspaper - it's the telegraph now.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

This year Track should be fine - but they've changed the official clearing listings newspaper - it's the telegraph now.

Ahh coolies, yeah they always change stuff around.

Yeah I applied last year and it took forever to log on but thankfully it was good news :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You go on UCAS see what it says - it won't show your results just whether your F/I have made a decision and sent that decision to UCAS.

You get your results - then depending what your results are and what Track says you either celebrate or hit the phones. The flowchart in my sig spells it out.

Thanks, so literally, if you get the results you/they wanted, and track says your firm offer is confirmed, you go to college, get your results slips/certificates .... and that's it for the time being, until the UNI contact you about starting the course and such? I'm hoping it is that simple, non of my friends really know, they are just asuming you turn up to college and get your stuff.

Now, lets imagine I don't get the exact grades they wanted, but they still accept me, it says so on track, there and then, I assum that scenario is just the same as the one I mentioned above, but what If you don't quite get the results, and it is blury on whether you have gotten in, say, track doesn't simply say you have the place, but says something instead, I don't know what, a change of course or they might want you to ring up, say you were only 1 or 2 UMS of the grade or something ..... :confused:

I should also mention I don't have an insurance offer, my first choice UNI actually has ever so slightly lower grades than my second choice (BBB rather than ABB), in which case, I asume I go straight into clearing, which is another area I'm trying to get my head around ....
Original post by prog2djent
Thanks, so literally, if you get the results you/they wanted, and track says your firm offer is confirmed, you go to college, get your results slips/certificates .... and that's it for the time being, until the UNI contact you about starting the course and such? I'm hoping it is that simple, non of my friends really know, they are just asuming you turn up to college and get your stuff.

Now, lets imagine I don't get the exact grades they wanted, but they still accept me, it says so on track, there and then, I assum that scenario is just the same as the one I mentioned above, but what If you don't quite get the results, and it is blury on whether you have gotten in, say, track doesn't simply say you have the place, but says something instead, I don't know what, a change of course or they might want you to ring up, say you were only 1 or 2 UMS of the grade or something ..... :confused:

I should also mention I don't have an insurance offer, my first choice UNI actually has ever so slightly lower grades than my second choice (BBB rather than ABB), in which case, I asume I go straight into clearing, which is another area I'm trying to get my head around ....

It's not quite that simple - but basically all you need to do is check track (and don't panic!) then get your results.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2069579 has a lot of information on what track might show (and what that means - basically track wont tell you how you've done in your A levels and there's a good chance it wont have changed at all).

If you get your grades then relax (even if Track hasn't changed - only worry about that on Friday and even then it's just admin to check your results went through ok) and celebrate.

If you miss your grades then track helps decide what to do (which will either be to celebrate or get on the phone to someone).

And even though your Insurance is higher than your Firm there's always a chance if you got BBC that your firm might reject you but your insurance might take you with 2 grades lower (or might make an offer for another course) - it all depends on how every other person who had that uni as Firm/Insurance did in their exams as to how lenient a uni will be.
Reply 7
there is so much hype over results day ie the media. Mine's turned out a long waiting game. waiting on track to update, would rather of celebrated but wasnt to be- maybe it was my high standards too.
Reply 8
Original post by dongonaeatu
x

This made me laugh! :giggle:
But perhaps not the most comforting response for the OP :rolleyes:

x

And I'm pretty sure Track doesn't actually tell you your results; it'll just say whether you've been accepted into your firm, insurance or are now elligible for clearing. If it's the last option then you need to check the clearing listings (Telegraph newspaper) and start ringing universities.

In this case, if you haven't achieved the grades for your firm choice/they haven't decided to accept you, you will automatically be enabled to go through clearing. Using the official listings on the Telegraph, you'll need to browse the courses available, choose ones that you are interested in and then ring up universities to see whether they'll accept you.

Good luck with your results :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I suggest you save the direct link to your track page because you'll never get on it when it opens.

I used the direct link and got on track to see if I'd been accepted before 7:00am :smug:
Reply 10
Original post by RobertWhite
I suggest you save the direct link to your track page because you'll never get on it when it opens.

I used the direct link and got on track to see if I'd been accepted before 7:00am :smug:

You mean like adding the general track log in page to favourites, or your own persoanl track account on favrourites? Since when you turn off the PC, you get signed out.
Reply 11
You mean like adding the general track log in page to favourites, or your own persoanl track account on favrourites? Since when you turn off the PC, you get signed out.

I'm not wholly sure as my brother found it. Just get as close to singing in to track as you can.
Reply 12
UCAS have changed their policy this year so you don't need to sign into track to find out whether you have your firm, insurance etc or not, they email you instead. I'm guessing this is their resoloution to what happened last year with track crashing and everything. However it's not guranteed you will get an email before you go and collect your results. I also had a letter from them saying that they will only start updating track and sending out emails after 8am so if you try and log in before then its pointless as nothing will have changed.
Reply 13
Original post by laura1234
UCAS have changed their policy this year so you don't need to sign into track to find out whether you have your firm, insurance etc or not, they email you instead. I'm guessing this is their resoloution to what happened last year with track crashing and everything. However it's not guranteed you will get an email before you go and collect your results. I also had a letter from them saying that they will only start updating track and sending out emails after 8am so if you try and log in before then its pointless as nothing will have changed.

this is what i was just about to post. last year a load of my friends went through hell with ucas, not knowing if they got in or not. it looks a lot easier this year, in theory anyway :P
Reply 14

Just so you know, there's no need to capitalise uni.
Reply 15
Original post by Norton1
Just so you know, there's no need to capitalise uni.

Thanks for the heads up bro.

Like a lot bro.

Bro.
Original post by PQ

Question

Do I have to get the telegraph or can I just check the clearing list on ucas or maybe even TSR?
Reply 17
Thanks for the heads up bro.

Like a lot bro.

Bro.

If you're going to uni then you're going to be typing uni quite a lot.

For example:

'Oh man I can't make it into uni today, the world is falling out my arse. Shouldn't of drunk all those shots from that transvestite's crack'

You'll look a fool if an errant UNI is put in there. Bro.
Reply 18
Original post by Norton1
If you're going to uni then you're going to be typing uni quite a lot.

For example:

'Oh man I can't make it into uni today, the world is falling out my arse. Shouldn't of drunk all those shots from that transvestite's crack'

You'll look a fool if an errant UNI is put in there. Bro.

I don't think you should be criticising his capitalisation of 'uni' until you read the mistake I've put in bold. :teehee:
Reply 19
Original post by Iron Lady
I don't think you should be criticising his capitalisation of 'uni' until you read the mistake I've put in bold. :teehee:

I think you'll find that was a text, sent by the OP, once more highlighting his poor grasp of grammar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending