The Student Room Group

Higher choices?

Hi so I originally picked human biology as my higher even though I did physics last year but after being in the class for a month I feel behind already because everyone in the class has done biology and has the upper hand. I hated physics so I wouldn't choose it again but I have the choice of changing to modern studies. I've never done it before but I am good at history and plan to do a history degree to go and teach so i'm wondering if I should make the change from human bio to modern studies or stick with it?

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Original post by michelle12x
Hi so I originally picked human biology as my higher even though I did physics last year but after being in the class for a month I feel behind already because everyone in the class has done biology and has the upper hand. I hated physics so I wouldn't choose it again but I have the choice of changing to modern studies. I've never done it before but I am good at history and plan to do a history degree to go and teach so i'm wondering if I should make the change from human bio to modern studies or stick with it?

Modern Studies would be more relevant. So I'm going to have to say switching is a good idea. But I am also going to recommend you stick with Human Biology, as it is a fairly interesting course if you have an interest in Biology. Look at the arrangement documents, read through them for Modies and Human Biology, and decide what you think'll be more interesting. And don't worry about not knowing as much as the other kids in the class. Biology is one of the easier subjects to crash :smile: Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by michelle12x

If your strengths lie more in the social sciences arena then modern studies is the obvious choice. If you're prepared to work really hard on human biology and bring yourself up to speed then whyever wouldn't you do it? Maybe think about asking your teacher for extra support.
Reply 3
I would work hard at biology but I don't know if this year would be a clever idea to crash it knowing I want to work hard on my maths and English. Thanks for your help, I think I will do modern studies this year and maybe crash human bio next year and it gives me time to clue myself up on it a bit more.
Your probably better picking modern studies because I heard its slightly easier to got an A, and is probabaly more linked with history as it is a social subject, and they both require yuo to write essays. Dont recommend you pick human biology unless your really intersted in it as, I started to do higher biology but found there was lots to remember, and I hated it so much I swapped it for advanced higher maths.
Reply 5
Can I ask for your opinion crash higher media studies or crash higher biology? I Dont have a clue what to do? I want to do Law and the subject I have picked are eng, history,maths and RMPS. But dont know about my fifth. Someone help me please?
Original post by aadam10
Can I ask for your opinion crash higher media studies or crash higher biology? I Dont have a clue what to do? I want to do Law and the subject I have picked are eng, history,maths and RMPS. But dont know about my fifth. Someone help me please?

Biology would be seen as more academic. However pick the subject you'd be more confident in getting an A/B
Original post by aadam10

Do Biology. I'll be going into 5th year too and I'm doing the same subjects as you except with Biology and Music instead of RMPS, and I'm also a hopeful Law applicant. Biology is held in much higher regarded than Media Studies, and unis like to see Law applicants who are well rounded eg. good at both essay subjects and science subjects.

Where you thinking of applying for Law? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by TheAdequateGatsby
Do Biology. I'll be going into 5th year too and I'm doing the same subjects as you except with Biology and Music instead of RMPS, and I'm also a hopeful Law applicant. Biology is held in much higher regarded than Media Studies, and unis like to see Law applicants who are well rounded eg. good at both essay subjects and science subjects.

Where you thinking of applying for Law? :smile:

Cheers Im thinking about going to Dundee wbu?
Original post by aadam10
Cheers Im thinking about going to Dundee wbu?

Edinburgh or Aberdeen hopefully. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by TheAdequateGatsby
Edinburgh or Aberdeen hopefully. :smile:

oh cool I was thinking about Aberdeen too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending