The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2013 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Byrney11
Hi I am going into my second year at university and am studying business and economics at surrey. Unfortunately i mucked up my first year and turned my first half 2:1 into a 2:2. I was hoping to apply for a internship in the 2013 summer. Obviously I places like GS and JPM are way out of my reach. Can anybody suggest reasonable companies to reach for?

Cheers

Not necessarily - it depends what division you want to apply to, how you convey your motivations, how well you understand that divisions functions/product offering and your interview performance.

You can also put down that you have a predicted/expected 2:1 grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 201
more of an opinion poll this one but here we go

BB or Boutique...in your opinion (SA)

1)exposure and recognition
2)retention rate
3)salary and comp
Reply 202
Original post by vraj101

2)retention rate
3)salary and comp

1) depends on the team you get and how strong they are in that sector.
2) low at GHL, JEF. high at some of the really small houses. moderate at most BBs
3) highest at the top boutiques. boutiques will have the widest range in comp. BBs will all pay in a similar range for analysts.
Reply 203
Original post by effofex
1) depends on the team you get and how strong they are in that sector.
2) low at GHL, JEF. high at some of the really small houses. moderate at most BBs
3) highest at the top boutiques. boutiques will have the widest range in comp. BBs will all pay in a similar range for analysts.

yeah that seems about right....
currently im interning at large european investment bank,
recognition and reputation is v good in my division but headcount is 0 this year
comp is slighlty below avg
Reply 204
Original post by vraj101
yeah that seems about right....
currently im interning at large european investment bank,
recognition and reputation is v good in my division but headcount is 0 this year
comp is slighlty below avg

Send some feelers out to American houses.
Reply 205
Original post by vraj101

2)retention rate
3)salary and comp

1) Exposure is likely to be high to very high, the analyst pool being much smaller than at BBs. Recognition: well, it depends which boutique we're talking. But unlike in the USA, top boutiques in London are still slightly less recognised than top BBs. No boutique in London could boast Perella's (NY) or Lazard's (NY) track record and dealflow.

2) Retention rate is highly variable, moderate for BBs (40/50%), high for certain small boutiques and very low at others (Greenhill for ex.)

3) Boutiques pay market average except for some smaller ones which pay slightly below market. Base pay is the same everywhere and bonuses are low these days, so not really a criterion in my opinion.
Reply 206
Original post by effofex
Send some feelers out to American houses.

it just seems strange sitting on my desk on my internship already applying for others.
Reply 207
Original post by vraj101
it just seems strange sitting on my desk on my internship already applying for others.

you could do the applications in the evening/night at home.
Reply 208
Original post by effofex
you could do the applications in the evening/night at home.

already am mate....standard procedure...lazard greenhil etc

how bout yourself mate? SA or FT applicant
Reply 209
Original post by vraj101
already am mate....standard procedure...lazard greenhil etc

how bout yourself mate? SA or FT applicant

lateral hire / FT / SA (eligible for some since I have a pending masters).
Lazard rejection after SHL...knew I effed it up...dayum
Reply 211
What do you do guys for the UBS application? There are 5 questions and the word limit is 1000 words for each... Do you write actually 1000 words? Or is it fine with like 200?

So ****ing boring, they know that it is only bull****, as a recruiter I would never read it...
i think the UBS application is 1000 characters not words so it more like just under 200 words not a 1000
1000 characters. 1000 words is an essay. 5x1000 is a mini dissertation lol

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB860
Reply 214
wow thank you guys, I had been struggling on this application for a few days now, yeah it is just 1000 characters, **** me I just saw 1000 and was thinking it was words, yeah now it's gonna be much easier !!
They know it's all BS. I doubt one has ever been read in the history of applications to things.
Reply 216
Original post by PrincePauper
1000 characters. 1000 words is an essay. 5x1000 is a mini dissertation lol

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB860

There used to be just 4 questions in the past. I wonder what the 5th one is.
Original post by effofex
There used to be just 4 questions in the past. I wonder what the 5th one is.

Pretty sure there were 4 in this years application form:

- Why UBS
- Why Division
- Achievement most proud of
- Extra Curricular/Hobbies
Reply 218
anyone here confirmed to go to the gs netowrking on the 21st/23rd?
all my current statuses are 'waitlisted'

general case or am i on the reserve list?
Reply 219
Does anyone know the process for GS, it goes from application recieved to then application under review. Is that just the common update process for them saying we have it and actually reading it, or do both of those mean the same and actually it just means we have it? I have two applications with them one is received and the other under review. Any thoughts? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest