The Student Room Group

What do I need to budget for when I first arrive at uni?!?!?!

Hi! I'm starting uni in September and I'm going to be studying journalism :biggrin: Anyway, I've worked out how much I'm going to have to live off a week and I'm hoping that will be enough for going out, eating etc.. The problem is that a couple of my friends that are in/have been to uni have told me about the one off payments I'll have to make when I first arrive and I was wondering what these are going to be so that I can work out how I'm going to afford all of it!!

:eek:*panic attack!!* :eek:

So far I can think of a TV licence and a bus pass but I'm pretty sure there's a lot more I'm going to have to miraculously find money for like books (but I can find anywhere how much those might be!!) and other things that I've probably not thought about...

So yeah, any ideas??? Any help would be truly appreciated!!

BTW, I'm going to be studying in Preston if location is relevant to this!
Reply 1
- society fees
- fresher's week in general
- telephone bill
- (accomodation) deposits

There's probably more, but can't think of it now.
Reply 2
How much do the books cost in general?
Original post by isusovaca
How much do the books cost in general?

books are going to vary hugely from course to course - id imagine something like literature has a lot of books to buy, but something more mathematical based is going to have far fewer books, but likely to be more expensive, as you may need ot buy them, but literature you will get away with takign them out of a library..

i would suggest that from what ive heard you take the book from a library at first to see how much you really use it or if its just one or 2 useful pages that you can copy. dont go and buy every book on the reading list if you dont need it.
- Bedding (try Primark)
- Cooking equipment
- Textbooks & stationery
- Freshers week (tickets, drinks, fancy dress)
- Deposit for halls (although this is normally payable when your offer of accommodation is made, and is refundable)
- Anything with which to decorate your room (try the eBay home decor section - it's great & v cheap)
- Society memberships
- Bus pass (although this isn't necessary everywhere, and sometimes it works out more expensive than just buying returns).
- Gym (if you use it; universities often have cheap deals for their own gyms)
- TV licence isn't necessary unless you plan on watching live television (BBC or otherwise). You don't need to pay it if you only use catch-up services, or only use your TV for watching DVDs / playing games.
- Access to bike sheds
Reply 5
Original post by silver94
Hi! I'm starting uni in September and I'm going to be studying journalism :biggrin: Anyway, I've worked out how much I'm going to have to live off a week and I'm hoping that will be enough for going out, eating etc.. The problem is that a couple of my friends that are in/have been to uni have told me about the one off payments I'll have to make when I first arrive and I was wondering what these are going to be so that I can work out how I'm going to afford all of it!!

:eek:*panic attack!!* :eek:

So far I can think of a TV licence and a bus pass but I'm pretty sure there's a lot more I'm going to have to miraculously find money for like books (but I can find anywhere how much those might be!!) and other things that I've probably not thought about...

So yeah, any ideas??? Any help would be truly appreciated!!

BTW, I'm going to be studying in Preston if location is relevant to this!

To find out how much books might be, try looking on Amazon
-Bedding
-Things to make your room feel homely
-Food and Toiletries to start you off
-Bus Pass
-TV Licence
-Fancy Dress
-Fresher's week drinks and nights out
-Society Fees
-Car Park Permit (if you have a car)

I didn't buy books until the November. I used library copies until I worked out which ones I needed the most. Look on eBay over the summer and in November onwards (everyone is looking for second hand copies in Freshers and they don't exist), as I got 8 books for around £60 on eBay, all in great condition. They cost new about £30 each. Also post on the freshers facebook page of your uni and the general uni facebook page asking if anyone who has graduated on your course has any second-hand copies they don't want anymore.
In regards to your first post - don't bother getting a tv licence. You won't have time for watching live tv if you're doing first year right (getting involved in clubs, sports and general freshers antics) so your life will revolve around iplayer which you don't need a licence for. It's incredibly expensive and I would really advise against it.

Anyway, the posters above me cover the things I was going to suggest so I won't bother posting anything of my own!
I disagree with the Primark sheets. Get some decent ones. Bed and shoes, if you aren't in one, you're in the other, good investment. :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry to much. You can get some posters, fairy lights, perhaps a cork board with photos, and perhaps a rug or something from IKEA to give your room that personal touch. But its mainly comes with time.

Books, my advice would be don't buy right away. Too many people spend a ton on books they barely use. Wait and see how you course mates get one, and which ones they recommend.

As for toiletries and basics, if you can, get your parents to do a sneaky Tesco run with the car after you are all moved in.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I disagree with the Primark sheets. Get some decent ones.

What's wrong with Primark sheets? No point in spending £25 on sheets when they're £5 in Primark. Buy 3 or 4 sheets, and wash them more regularly or put two fitted ones on at the same time. They're not even that thin. And also buy a mattress protector, more comfy and protects the mattress from accidents.

Towels from Primark I can't recommend though. Thin, they shrink, and the colour leaks.
Original post by greenfly125
What's wrong with Primark sheets? No point in spending £25 on sheets when they're £5 in Primark. Buy 3 or 4 sheets, and wash them more regularly or put two fitted ones on at the same time. They're not even that thin. And also buy a mattress protector, more comfy and protects the mattress from accidents.

Towels from Primark I can't recommend though. Thin, they shrink, and the colour leaks.
The count simply isn't the same as with a decent set of sheets. Plus 3-4 sets, you have to put these somewhere you know. You could apply that logic to anything from Primark, why spend £x on Y when they are cheaper in Primark. I just budget in certain places, and sheets I'm going to be spending 8+ hrs a day in for the next year isn't one of them for the sake of £30.
The count simply isn't the same as with a decent set of sheets. Plus 3-4 sets, you have to put these somewhere you know. You could apply that logic to anything from Primark, why spend £x on Y when they are cheaper in Primark. I just budget in certain places, and sheets I'm going to be spending 8+ hrs a day in for the next year isn't one of them for the sake of £30.

Are you serious, haha, 2 extra sheets isn't going to take up a lot of room. I just shove them under my bed with my spare towel and other duvet set. Unfortunately having already been a first year, you will find that you'll wanna save money wherever possible. At home yeh, I have £20 sheets, but believe me you'll learn to live with £5 sheets, basics bogroll, baked beans and bread.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-B7510
Reply 12
I think it's a good shout to invest on bedding. I used quite a lot of money on making my bed comfy and it certainly paid off since I was ill all the time and couldn't do anything but sleep :P

I had 3 sets of sheets and it was too much. I only ever used one set as we had washer & dryer so I washed them every week, took about 2 hours and they were back on my bed. They were my fav ones and SO soft that I just didn't want to change to another ones :P

It all comes down to what you think is important to spend money on but I'd say that a good night's sleep is important. Plus you want to make your bed comfy so that you (and hopefully someone else also :wink: ) will enjoy being in it!

xo
Original post by greenfly125
Are you serious, haha, 2 extra sheets isn't going to take up a lot of room. I just shove them under my bed with my spare towel and other duvet set. Unfortunately having already been a first year, you will find that you'll wanna save money wherever possible. At home yeh, I have £20 sheets, but believe me you'll learn to live with £5 sheets, basics bogroll, baked beans and bread.
You aren't the only uni student on here you know. I'm 4th year now, I've done it all before, and in London so I know about budgeting.

Everyone I know had 2 sets one on, one to wash. I never heard of anyone having multiple duvets. I had space under my bed and a single door wardrobe, that was it. Saving money wherever possible but but in places where to notice it least, bog roll is also not one of them.
You aren't the only uni student on here you know. I'm 4th year now, I've done it all before, and in London so I know about budgeting.

Everyone I know had 2 sets one on, one to wash. I never heard of anyone having multiple duvets. I had space under my bed and a single door wardrobe, that was it. Saving money wherever possible but but in places where to notice it least, bog roll is also not one of them.

No need to get snotty about it, whatever floats your boat I guess. I just like to buy cheaper items as I think they do just the same job as the expensive ones. I personally didn't have multiple sets of sheets though I suggested if you find the primark ones thin, double them up. I had two duvet sets, one clean, one on. I don't find the cheap bogroll that bad. There's this quilted, "brand that nobodys heard of" at sainsburys and it feels nice, haha.

Though one thing I will not budget on is meat, especially chicken, eggs and beef mince. And decent shampoo.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-B7510

Quick Reply