The Student Room Group

Would you ever date a girl that cheated on her old boyfriend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ct2k7
The idea of consciousness between rape and cheating.

Yes, there are transgressions, but cheating whilst drunk isn't exactly forgivable either.

?????

So if someone made a conscious decision to lie when they were 12, then should you consider them a liar for life?

Conscious decisions are forgiveable too you know....
Reply 61
Original post by Cable
I wasn't trying to compare cheating to rape lol. But still, I think it's a good point.

If we are to use your logic, we should respect someone who raped someone just the guy was in a bad mood and wanted to vent it by raping someone. I mean, it was just a "silly mistake", right? Surely, the rapist could have changed after his time in prison and so, everyone should treat him normally? And in fact, if you happen to know the guy, you would let him pick up your daughter (hypothetically) from a nightclub and bring her home?

It doesn't matter what the circumstance. It usually boils down to a problem in the relationship or s/he being attracted to someone else. The person should have the respect to be able to try and work with his/her partner to make the relationship work or at least break up with him/her before getting with someone else rather than doing it behind their back. The fact is that s/he makes a conscious decision to cheat when s/he doesn't have to just like a rapist made a conscious decision to rape someone.

And the fact that s/he has a history of cheating (especially if it's recently) shows that we have to be very careful about getting into a relationship with her. Just like people would be very careful about interacting with a rapist because even though he might have changed after prison, the risk with him is still much greater than someone who hasn't been convicted of rape (yet). That's the point of the rapist analogy.

The job application analogy is also good as well. An employer will employ someone with a better history that shows s/he's perfect for the job over someone with an inferior history. That doesn't mean that the person with the inferior history/experience can't do the job. But the person with the better experience is more trustworthy.

Likewise, I'm not saying "once a cheat, always a cheat". But at the same time, it's a lot riskier to get into a relationship with someone that has a history of cheating compared to someone that hasn't cheated (yet).

1. I never said that someone who cheated wasn't more likely to cheat. I'm simply saying WEIGH IT ON THE INDIVIDUAL as opposed to making a simpistic naive statement.

I'm sure you guys will not agree with me no matter how much I argue. That's fine. But I'm not sure how raping someone could ever be comparable to say kissing someone who's not your boy/girlfriend. Hopefully in time you'll see that the world isn't black and white, but different shades of grey. You base your decisions on the other person AS WELL AS the severity of their transgression
Reply 62
Original post by dgeorge
?????

So if someone made a conscious decision to lie when they were 12, then should you consider them a liar for life?

No, but then again a 12 year old isn't likely to cheat in a relationship.

yeah, some can be forgiven, but the ultimate breach of trust, loyalty and respect far outweighs pretty much everything.
Original post by dgeorge
?????

Lying is a normal part of social interaction. Lying is very normal and occurs on a daily basis.

Equally, you can't compare your lying situation to cheating as with rape.

All involve conscious decision making but can't really be compared.

With your stand point of case by case viewing of cheating. Could you give me of an example where you would forgive and date said cheater as their 'excuse' was deemed passable by you personally.
Reply 64
Original post by dgeorge
Let me repeat myself

How in the world can something like KISSING SOMEONE ELSE be comparable to a VIOLENT CRIME?

It's not directly comparable.

But the logic is very clear. Let me outline it for you.

P1. Woman cheats on man by snogging someone in a nightclub because she has some bad problems in the relationship.

P2. Dgeorge says that since the cheating is relatively small and it was just a silly mistake, the person shouldn't be completely outruled for a relationship.

P3. Man rapes woman because he's in a bad mood and wants to vent it out by overpowering the would-be victim.

C. Rapist shouldn't be treated differently from others as it was just "silly mistake" (lol) or a one-off and should be trusted to pick up girls from nightclubs and bring them home? Or he should be trusted in a relationship or casual sex to not rape again?

That doesn't mean I'm saying that cheating is as "bad" as rape. But as you see above, the logic in the rape analogy is not flawed. And as you would know, the reason no-one would trust a rapist is because he has a history of committing rape. That doesn't mean he should be completely alienated or outruled from society just because of a one-time offence. Why? Because the rapist might have regretted his decision while he was in prison and may have changed for the better. But it doesn't stop society looking down on him for the rest of his life. Likewise, I wouldn't trust someone with a history of cheating. That doesn't mean that s/he would cheat on anyone again. But the risk is surely higher?

I repeat: I'm not directly comparing cheating to rape. But I'm comparing the logic of being open to someone with a history of cheating to being open to someone with a history of rape. Whatever angle you look at it, the logic comparison is sound.

Of course, since cheating is less severe than rape, people may decide to give a cheater a chance in a relationship. But I don't think it's wise to take the chance since the risk is greater that the person would cheat compared to someone who hasn't cheated yet.
Reply 65
Original post by MasterJomi
Lying is a normal part of social interaction. Lying is very normal and occurs on a daily basis.

Equally, you can't compare your lying situation to cheating as with rape.

All involve conscious decision making but can't really be compared.

With your stand point of case by case viewing of cheating. Could you give me of an example where you would forgive and date said cheater as their 'excuse' was deemed passable by you personally.

I agre with you.

Lying isn't as bad as cheating.

Likewise cheating isn't as bad as rape

Likewise there are various degrees of cheating.

I would be much more likely to forgive someone for say, kissing than sex.

Likewise I've got a friend who forgave his gf for kissing another guy. They're in a long distance relationship and hadn't seen each other for a while. That's quite "forgivable" in my estimation. BUT of course it is up to the individual, I wouldn't fault them for not forgiving them
Reply 66
Original post by dgeorge
I agre with you.

Likewise I've got a friend who forgave his gf for kissing another guy. They're in a long distance relationship and hadn't seen each other for a while. That's quite "forgivable" in my estimation. BUT of course it is up to the individual, I wouldn't fault them for not forgiving them

I'm in an LDR and my girlfriend would kill me if I kissed someone

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 67
Original post by Cable
It's not directly comparable.

But the logic is very clear. Let me outline it for you.

P1. Woman cheats on man by snogging someone in a nightclub because she has some bad problems in the relationship.

P2. Dgeorge says that since the cheating is relatively small and it was just a silly mistake, the person shouldn't be completely outruled for a relationship.

P3. Man rapes woman because he's in a bad mood and wants to vent it out by overpowering the would-be victim.

C. Rapist shouldn't be treated differently from others as it was just "silly mistake" (lol) or a one-off and should be trusted to pick up girls from nightclubs and bring them home? Or he should be trusted in a relationship or casual sex to not rape again?

That doesn't mean I'm saying that cheating is as "bad" as rape. But as you see above, the logic in the rape analogy is not flawed. And as you would know, the reason no-one would trust a rapist is because he has a history of committing rape. That doesn't mean he should be completely alienated or outruled from society just because of a one-time offence. Why? Because the rapist might have regretted his decision while he was in prison and may have changed for the better. But it doesn't stop society looking down on him for the rest of his life. Likewise, I wouldn't trust someone with a history of cheating. That doesn't mean that s/he would cheat on anyone again. But the risk is surely higher?

I repeat: I'm not directly comparing cheating to rape. But I'm comparing the logic of being open to someone with a history of cheating to being open to someone with a history of rape. Whatever angle you look at it, the logic comparison is sound.

Of course, since cheating is less severe than rape, people may decide to give a cheater a chance in a relationship. But I don't think it's wise to take the chance since the risk is greater that the person would cheat compared to someone who hasn't cheated yet.

Rapist shouldn't be treated differently from others as it was just "silly mistake" (lol) or a one-off and should be trusted to pick up girls from nightclubs and bring them home? Or he should be trusted in a relationship or casual sex to not rape again?

Rape is far, far, FAR worse than snogging someone in a nightclub.

Likewise, snogging someone is less severe than say having sex.

It's about the severity of the transgression, ALONG WITH other factors.
Reply 68
Original post by dgeorge
I'm simply saying WEIGH IT ON THE INDIVIDUAL as opposed to making a simpistic naive statement.

But how is it a naive statement? At the end of the day, everyone wants a partner they can trust. How can we find out whether someone is trustworthy or not? We cannot. But what we can find out is whether someone is less trustworthy. How do we know? If they have a history of cheating.

I've used the job analogy numerous times. How does an employer know that someone can do the job perfectly? He doesn't. But he can determine who is more trustworthy to get the job done by checking the person's history/experience. Who will he give the job to (in most cases)? The person with the better experience/history.

Likewise, I don't care what circumstance was involved in the person cheating. At the end of the day, s/he wasn't forced to cheat. They knew what they were doing when they did the act. They could have done something to solve the problem in the relationship or break up instead of cheating. But they didn't. And the only way I can determine who is less trustworthy is by whether they have a history of cheating.

I admit that how long ago it was and how old they were when they cheated is quite important to consider. But generally, I accept that the risk with cheaters is higher and so naturally, I would avoid them.
Reply 69
Original post by ct2k7
I'm in an LDR and my girlfriend would kill me if I kissed someone

Mine might too......

But doesn't mean I'd do the same
Reply 70
Original post by dgeorge
Rape is far, far, FAR worse than snogging someone in a nightclub.

Likewise, snogging someone is less severe than say having sex.

It's about the severity of the transgression, ALONG WITH other factors.

But that's what I'm trying to say. I don't care about the severity of the cheating. Whatever angle you look at it, s/he broke her partner's trust. It's as simple as that.

However, I admit I would take into consideration how long ago it was and how old the person was when they did. If they did it when they were kids, then I suppose you could be a bit fair and not completely dismiss them for a relationship. But if they did it when they were much older, especially as an adult, then I'm sorry, I ain't giving them any consideration for a relationship whatsoever.
Original post by dgeorge
I agre with you.

So in this situation, she kissed another guy because of distance. But the issue of distance in this case, assuming that they're still in a LDR, hasn't changed. So the circumstances are still the same.

Hmmm, personally in that situation I would have ended it seeing as the issue which caused her to cheat can't be fixed. The temptations and distance are still there. Yes she might regret what she did, but there's no certainty.
Basically what I'm getting at is once the trust has been broken, how does one repair it when the same circumstances continue?

But in terms of the actual thread, still, I wouldn't be able to trust her to start dating. Yes she may regret it, and the circumstances may have changed, e.g it will not be a LDR, but surely it would play on your mind as soon as some distance comes between you for any reason that the circumstances that she cheated in have been replicated, and there's no telling whether she then cheat again...
Reply 72
Original post by dgeorge
Mine might too......

But doesn't mean I'd do the same

It's implied what I would do if she broke my trust. Now, I won't literally kill her, I'd kill the relationship. I am able to function, emotionally, without her. That sounds horrible, I know, but I do love her, and that's why I will close anything which could develop into a problem.

Reply 73
So in this situation, she kissed another guy because of distance. But the issue of distance in this case, assuming that they're still in a LDR, hasn't changed. So the circumstances are still the same.

Hmmm, personally in that situation I would have ended it seeing as the issue which caused her to cheat can't be fixed. The temptations and distance are still there. Yes she might regret what she did, but there's no certainty.
Basically what I'm getting at is once the trust has been broken, how does one repair it when the same circumstances continue?

But in terms of the actual thread, still, I wouldn't be able to trust her to start dating. Yes she may regret it, and the circumstances may have changed, e.g it will not be a LDR, but surely it would play on your mind as soon as some distance comes between you for any reason that the circumstances that she cheated in have been replicated, and there's no telling whether she then cheat again...

So in this situation, she kissed another guy because of distance

That was one of the reasons, there were other reasons.

Yes she might regret what she did, but there's no certainty

There's never any certainty. She hadn't cheated on him BEFORE. You can't be certain either way

However, you point is taken that after cheating there is a seed of doubt placed in your mind
Reply 74
Guys and girls, I have a suggestion that you quickly read a few threads here: http://www.loveshack.org/forums/romantic/marriage-life-partnerships/infidelity/

Original post by dgeorge
That was one of the reasons, there were other reasons.

There's never any certainty. She hadn't cheated on him BEFORE. You can't be certain either way

However, you point is taken that after cheating there is a seed of doubt placed in your mind

Do you mind saying the other reasons? It'll help to get a better picture.

No, there never is any certainty, only trust. But trust doesn't stop someone from cheating.

That's true. But wouldn't this seed of doubt still be there regardless of whether you were the person who was cheated on or a new suitor?

Also I've come up with another analogy.
Say you looking to buy an second hand xbox 360. You get 2 good offers, however, 1 has 'red ringed' once in the past but hasn't since then, the other one has never 'red ringed'.
There's no certainty that either will not get the 'red ring of death' in the future, but surely you'd be more inclined to get the second one which hasn't just for extra precaution?
Say you looking to buy an second hand xbox 360. You get 2 good offers, however, 1 has 'red ringed' once in the past but hasn't since then, the other one has never 'red ringed'.
There's no certainty that either will not get the 'red ring of death' in the future, but surely you'd be more inclined to get the second one which hasn't just for extra precaution?

Or you trade in your old 360 for a slim :wink:
Reply 77
Original post by dgeorge

Ok, you know what?

I agree that the severity of the cheating should be taken into consideration depending on how tolerant the person is of cheating and how long ago the cheating happened.

But I'm not very tolerant of cheating and I'm just giving my opinion that I would dismiss anyone with a history of cheating, unless the cheating happened a really long time ago.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion.
Reply 78
Original post by Cable
Ok, you know what?

I agree that the severity of the cheating should be taken into consideration depending on how tolerant the person is of cheating and how long ago the cheating happened.

But I'm not very tolerant of cheating and I'm just giving my opinion that I would dismiss anyone with a history of cheating, unless the cheating happened a really long time ago.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion.

As are you yours, fine. I'm saying in reality there are other ways to breach a person's trust that can be as bad or worse than cheating, and that cheating, depending on the person, situation, circumstances, etc. will warrant more than a "one size fits all" response by the aggrieved party, and indeed when one is in that PARTICULAR situation, then it will be apparent.

But you, of course, are also entitled to your opinion, and I do understand why you would be of such a mindset
Reply 79
Do you mind saying the other reasons? It'll help to get a better picture.

No, there never is any certainty, only trust. But trust doesn't stop someone from cheating.

That's true. But wouldn't this seed of doubt still be there regardless of whether you were the person who was cheated on or a new suitor?

Do you mind saying the other reasons?

I'd have to go into a long explanation of what I remember, and I'd be leaving out quite a bit as it was a few years ago

Say you looking to buy an second hand xbox 360.

People aren't xbox 360's. Each and every person has their individual nauances, idiosyncracies, and personal issues/problems. There are far more issues to consider when choosing a partner besides their fidelity history. I agree that it is IMPORTANT, I'm simply saying that there are other considerations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending