The Student Room Group

Allowed exam calculators

Hey I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I need some advice on allowed calculators in A-Level AQA Further Maths.

I was looking at the TI-Nspire™ CX calculator. It is overpriced, overly technological and may be a bit excessive for its use, but it is awesome and I want it. However I have heard that certain graphic calculators are banned from the exams.

I have done some searching and I have only found this regulation: "
MUST NOT have a facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration", the calculator that my college recommends can do all of these.
It is an American company and therefore is built to be allowed on their exam boards, however it is allowed on the International Baccalaureate.

So could someone please inform me on whether this is allowed or not.

TL;DR :
TI-Nspire™ CX, is it allowed in AQA Further A-Level maths?
in my opinion its pointless wasting money on a fancy graphics calculator. you uni will probably have banned it so you'll only ever use it in a'level exams.

for home use you may as well use wolfram alpha as its free
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I know it is completely pointless and excessive but its just too cool. If this is not allowed on AQA then I'd probably get the higher up model which has extra functionality for electrical and mechanical engineering. But thanks, I hadn't really thought about regulations in university; if anyone knows of any university regulations that would also be helpful.

obviously I'd also get a regulation calculator and learn how to use that as well
(edited 11 years ago)
Stick with the Casio fx-991ES PLUS, really easy to use, can't go wrong with it.

I'll even send you the link to it, cos I'm just that nice :biggrin:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344474872&sr=8-1
Reply 4
Thank you for the link good sir (very kind) but unfortunately my college requires a graphing calculator, they recommend the FX 9750. I really want to find out if the Ti-Nspire is allowed, if not I'll probably just buy both.

Personally I don't see any reason why it wouldn't meet the spec, it does for all the American qualifications and the IB, they even went out of their way to put an alphabetical instead of qwerty keyboard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AaronGrisedale
Thank you for the link good sir (very kind) but unfortunately my college requires a graphing calculator, they recommend the FX 9750. I really want to find out if the Ti-Nspire is allowed, if not I'll probably just buy both.

Personally I don't see any reason why it wouldn't meet the spec, it does for all the American qualifications and the IB, they even went out of their way to put an alphabetical instead of qwerty keyboard.

Banned calc list: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1273511
Reply 6
Original post by AaronGrisedale
But thanks, I hadn't really thought about regulations in university; if anyone knows of any university regulations that would also be helpful.

Do you know what universities and courses you'll be applying to? For quite a few Maths courses, calculators are forbidden completely -- they certainly are at Cambridge, but I'm not sure about other universities.
Reply 7
I'll be looking at electrical engineering or computer science; I am getting the calculator either way, just wanted to know if there any specific guidelines for AQA that are easy to find.

And as luck would have it my calculator is allowed, it's not on the banned list (but the model above is, as expected), thanks Mr M.

And thank you everyone for your help.
(edited 11 years ago)
They REQUIRE a graphical calculator? That's bizarre, since I think the opportunities to use it are fairly limited if you have access to Wolfram.

ES Plus is the best purchase you could make for A-Level Maths.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they require it. It may be used in the mechanics side of the further maths element. I got a letter from the college recently regarding the enrollment day on the 23d and they had a section on calculators saying that they sell their recommended one for £45.

Anyway I went ahead and bought it (£97), it is worth the money as it's not just a calculator; it can be used as a data logger and grapher too. I'm not a spoiled kid or anything, that sort of money took a while saving up; but when compared with their 'suggested' £45 calculator and data loggers with similar functionality, it is actually worth the money.

This sort of thing hasn't really made its way over to the UK yet, but it is used in whole classrooms in America. Take a look on their website, it's really amazing to see the technology that you can fit inside a calculator nowadays.

Quick Reply

Latest