The Student Room Group

Strong a levels ? Well regarded ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tortious
No it doesn't. Now please stop posting drivel.

Dude he's right why would they accept dance or drama as a suitable a level?
Reply 21
Original post by Wa 007
Dude he's right why would they accept dance or drama as a suitable a level?

My point was that the Trinity blacklist doesn't describe any subjects as "unacceptable" - even the worst are listed as "only suitable as a fourth option".
Reply 22
Original post by CharliePhillips
Okay so top universities (Normally only the likes of Oxbridge, LSE etc) generally have listed subjects for A level on which are most practical for an academic standard. All of the A level subjects are split into Soft, Medium and Hard subjects or A,B and C with A being split into A1 and A2, So the different groups are A1, A2, B and C,

The A's are ones that are 'preferred' by Uni's (hard), The B's are ones that aren't great to have but will still be accepted (medium), The C's are the ones you want to avoid, these are regarded as next to 'useless' (I use this word with much emphasis) A levels to have (soft). Here's the official List...

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B - Try to avoid these
Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C AVOID at all costs - Unsuitable A-levels
Accounting
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Photography
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism

Now as you can see all your original subjects are in group 'A' however you are changing Maths to Politics which is in group 'B', University's sometimes say however, that it is okay to have ONLY 1 'medium' subject as long as the others are 'hard' subjects. Also the fact that Politics will go with History will be helpful.

In regards to university's if you were ever going to apply to Oxford you could do a subject call PPE.. Philosophy, Politics and Economics. If you are intersted in Politics this would be a great subject for you as it doesn't require any subjects by law but says a helpful subject is History which you have, Also having politics and economics may put you at some advantage. Also this course does not require mathematics but only says it would be useful but with just history you should be okay. However it will require AAA at A-level and I'm not sure on your A level capabilities...

In regards to Maths for economics courses, I'm afraid any top uni for economics does require a mathematics A-level, So if your are passionate about doing economics at a top university for economics or on a general academic standard Mathematics is essential, With top uni's asking for an A minimum and lower ones asking for a B minimum.

I hope this has helped you and aid your decisions! And please do not take my word for law but I believe I acquire a considerable amount of reliable advice.

EDIT: Oh and also btw Warwick University does require an A* in Maths GCSE for economics,politics and international studies if you don't take it at A-level, or have it as an As level (though I'm not sure on that last bit)

Also to clear things up St Andrews and Nottingham are rated 8th and 9th in the UK univeristy tables for economics However I am unsure if they require an A in maths, I would of thought they do though I am not sure..

PPE, DEFINITELY sounds like something I will be interested in, I went onto the PPE, oxford website, and checked it out, and I sounds like the perfect course for me !
and doesnt require maths which is obviously a bonus for me
Reply 23
Original post by lovetosmile
So I've just finished my gcse's and have applied to a couple of sixth forms/colleges and I want to know whether the subjects I've picked are well regarded and strong subjects, I've picked:

Economics,
History,
English literature
I originally picked maths but then swapped it for politics because I don't think I've done well enough in my last exam.....

Also I've contacted most of mysixth forms and asked to redo maths gcse because i would really like an A overall.

What do we think about them !???
I'm really confused and scared because I dont want to make the wrong decision and have to go through 2years of pain....

Thank you !!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I would stick with those subjects. Maths is slightly more well regarded than politics, however if you will struggle to get an A at GCSE, it's probably better not to do it and get a much better grade in politics.
Otherwise, they are all well-regarded subjects especially for a humanties-based degree.
This pdf publised by the Russell Group of top unis, might help you, especially with regard to the best subjects for particular degree courses :biggrin:
Reply 24
Although it is important to have strong a-levels its more crucial that you get good grades. For universities that ask for AAA, because of the competition for places, it would probably give you an advantage if you aimed at getting over 90% UMS in your exams as this would give you A* predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest