The Student Room Group

Young, Bright, and on the Right

Anyone else think this is just playing off a stereotype and caricatures? Hardly a balanced show, it is very Daily Mail! :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

I'm watching it now. It is!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I just made a cheeky appearance. And I'm not a Tory. Terrible scenes
Reply 3
Original post by ForKicks
Anyone else think this is just playing off a stereotype and caricatures? Hardly a balanced show, it is very Daily Mail! :s-smilie:

It'd be nice if that was so. OCA are that bad.

Actually, student politics is that bad.
Original post by micky022
It'd be nice if that was so. OCA are that bad.

Actually, student politics is that bad.

I disagree! I am a member of the Conservative Party and I can honestly say that I am not, in any way shape or form, like that. I am a member as a hobby and, unlike some of the people on that program, I still need a very normal life...

Reply 5
It scares me to think these people may be running the country one day. It scares me even more that there ARE people running the country that were once like that!

Reply 6
All I got from that was who the hell is excited over selecting the cheese for a weekly meet. Honestly that showed the torries in such a bad light. Hopefully will convince some people away from voting for them, kinda shows why the current politians think the way they do.

They are so up themselves, thinking that all they are doing is important, when one of them even said that they have no power, and it was good that they didn't.

This is why I don't want to go to a prestigious university, would rather go to one which is good now, not just based on its past.
Reply 7
This guy, 'Joe' has no political future if he carries on with no change in personality.
Reply 8
Original post by Budgie
I just made a cheeky appearance. And I'm not a Tory. Terrible scenes

Heh, what were you doing? :tongue:
Reply 9
I just felt really sorry for them both by the end.
The guy from cambridge was very naive, I felt awful for him when the chairman said he'd "lost" his application form.
They lacked self confidence and social skills, and it was clear that the programme was basically just taking the mick out of them.

Reply 10
Original post by DazA
It scares me to think these people may be running the country one day. It scares me even more that there ARE people running the country that were once like that!

Party politics is not a cool kids game and no-one does it for the money, lol. However, I think the show is purposefully slating the tories. It's like doing a show on student Labour supporters and choosing the social activists, or hippie lib dems. :tongue:
Reply 11
Tbh, working/middle class people might as well be slaves in this country lol, you have no idea how much power the upper classes actually have.
Reply 12
Original post by hb31
I just felt really sorry for them both by the end.
The guy from cambridge was very naive, I felt awful for him when the chairman said he'd "lost" his application form.
They lacked self confidence and social skills, and it was clear that the programme was basically just taking the mick out of them.

Careful, I would give reasonable odds they are on TSR :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by mirin?
Tbh, working/middle class people might as well be slaves in this country lol, you have no idea how much power the upper classes actually have.

The guys in the show weren't upper class. I think in some cases the power of the very wealthy is overrated (such as illuminati rumours) and underrated in others.
Reply 14
(Though I would say I fit strictly on the right anymore)Its Anti-right wing propoganda.

Lets think of some stereotypes about Tory's and the right in this country

Middle class and above
Oxford and cambridge
Politics Degrees
Socially inept

And what did they feed us with .......
Reply 15
Original post by ForKicks
The guys in the show weren't upper class. I think in some cases the power of the very wealthy is overrated (such as illuminati rumours) and underrated in others.

I know they weren't, the upper classes wouldn't appear in such programmes anyway.

The power of the very wealthy is hidden, you just don't know how much money they have tucked away offshore. Trust me, with that money comes huge influence.
Original post by prog2djent
(Though I would say I fit strictly on the right anymore)Its Anti-right wing propoganda.

Lets think of some stereotypes about Tory's and the right in this country

Middle class and above
Oxford and cambridge
Politics Degrees
Socially inept

And what did they feed us with .......

Both of them went to state school, and one of them was definately working class (single mother, dad in prison).
One was studying law
They werent socially inept, they just werent part of the 'in' crowd. Mainly down to other students' attitudes.

Did I watch a different show to everybody else? I thought that it improved the conservatives image. It showed that there are exceptions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I don't understand why everyone is so anti-Conservative, I'm very borderline middle class but it's incredibly beneficial, things have just gotten better since Labour. I don't see so much hate on the working class :s

I'll be sure to check this show out, looks really interesting.
Reply 18
Original post by mirin?
I know they weren't, the upper classes wouldn't appear in such programmes anyway.

The power of the very wealthy is hidden, you just don't know how much money they have tucked away offshore. Trust me, with that money comes huge influence.

I agree on that. The wealth of the upper class is tied up in different things and difficult to quantify. That and the fact personal wealth is never spoken of.
Original post by morecambebay
Both of them went to state school, and one of them was definately working class (single mother, dad in prison).
One was studying law
They werent socially inept, they just werent part of the 'in' crowd. Mainly down to other students' attitudes.

Did I watch a different show to everybody else? I thought that it improved the conservatives image. It showed that there are exceptions.

Must have been watching a different show.

Quick Reply