The Student Room Group

Is it easy to add petrol? Also first time driving by myself. (I'm **** scared)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DazA
And you've been driving for a few hours to use £17? I'd count yourself lucky.

Welcome to the joys of car ownership.

Probably I'm expecting too much haha.
Reply 81
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
Probably I'm expecting too much haha.

I always reset my trip counter when I put fuel in, helps me keep track of how much I've been using the car.
wow, surprises me how some people step into the game so late.

When my dad and I pulled up at a petrol station I was the one who used to do the pump, my dad would just sit in the car and I would also go to the paying area by myself, and I was only 14 when I started doing it.
Reply 83
Original post by mfaxford
You want the fuel tank to be sealed as petrol will evaporate as well (and that's potentially dangerous)

3-4 hours of driving is quite a bit depending on what you're doing. I can cover around 90 miles on A and B roads in about 3 hours and that's best part of a 1/4 tank of fuel.

It's worth getting a tyre pressure gauge (and potentially a foot pump or air compressor). You can get a pressure gauge fairly cheaply (£10-£20 for a decent digital one) and you can then check your tyre pressures regularly. It should tell you somewhere on the car what the pressures should be (possibly inside the fuel flap or on one of the doors). There are various bits of maintenance you should do on a regular basis (ideally weekly) such as checking screen wash, oil levels, tyre pressures etc.

Cor, give me a motorway or decent dual carriage way and I'll crack 200 miles easily in 3-4 hours!

OP, there's something called an odometer below the needle of your speedometer. It'll have one drum/screen telling you the total mileage, and a second drum (or another part of the screen) telling you your trip mileage, which you can reset with a button. On my Golf there's a button to switch between total and trip on a single screen, which with a long press will reset the trip. Most people use the trip meter to tell them how many miles they can get out of a tank. Use that to tell you how many miles you're getting, giving it to us in hours is useless.
Remember this if you go to Morrisons (not sure if it's all of them)

If you'll be paying at the till, you need to press the button that says "pay at till" otherwise you'll be holding the pump down, and wonder why the money counter screen isn't moving. For 30 seconds. And looking like a complete moron to EVERYONE.

Yes, that happened 3 days ago (first time filling up)

Not to mention, after paying I got back to my car and realised I'd left the fuel cap open :teehee:
Reply 85
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Remember this if you go to Morrisons (not sure if it's all of them)

If you'll be paying at the till, you need to press the button that says "pay at till" otherwise you'll be holding the pump down, and wonder why the money counter screen isn't moving. For 30 seconds. And looking like a complete moron to EVERYONE.

Yes, that happened 3 days ago (first time filling up)

Not to mention, after paying I got back to my car and realised I'd left the fuel cap open :teehee:

The pumps at Tesco seem to use the same kiosks too. I've been driving for over a year but I stopped at a Tesco garage for the first time a few weeks ago, pump in hand and wondering why there was no petrol coming out. A lady had to tell me to press the button which made me look like a right tool. :colondollar:
It's like pouring a milk into a glass except you have more control!!!! some peopel are dumb, question what goes on in this world!

Quick Reply

Latest