The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Ok, so I need help. I need to go from Cardiff to Edinburgh via train. I know I'll have to change, however, I'm not very good at all this train malarky. Anyone travelled to Cardiff to Edinburgh before and can give me a bit of a break-down how you got there? I know I have to change in either Manchester or Birmingham, which one would be easier? And what happens if my train's late and I miss my connection?

Thank you :tongue:
Reply 501
Original post by Gales
Ok, so I need help. I need to go from Cardiff to Edinburgh via train. I know I'll have to change, however, I'm not very good at all this train malarky. Anyone travelled to Cardiff to Edinburgh before and can give me a bit of a break-down how you got there? I know I have to change in either Manchester or Birmingham, which one would be easier? And what happens if my train's late and I miss my connection?

Thank you :tongue:

You would be better off changing trains at Crewe. And if I remember correctly, the recommended interchange times at Crewe is 10 minutes. So if you follow that recommend time then you're guaranteed to be allowed on another if your first service arrives late.
Ok, I'm travelling to Stansted Airport tomorrow (day of the closing ceremony....), planning to go by train. (Have a railcard so it'll cost £28.10, cheaper than coach, plus it's more flexible time-wise...)

I'm travelling from Hook station, and my flight is at about half 3.

After endless research, I can't see if it's better to go via Liverpool St or Tottenham Hale.

Liverpool St means train to Waterloo, 2 tubes, then a train from Liverpool St to Stansted. So 2 trains, 2 tubes.
Tottenham Hale means a train to Wimbledon, then to Vauxhall, one tube to Tottenham Hale, then a train to Stansted. So 3 trains, 1 tube.

I have no idea what's best in this scenario. I don't know what's likely to be messed up by the games (and TFL's website ain't helping much...), I'll only have a hand luggage suitcase but I don't know if it'd be better to stick to trains not tubes because of that...HELP?
I have a question: I need to get from Heathrow Terminal 4, to Heathrow Central Bus Station (Tuesday 8am in the morning). I know that there is a free local bus (555) which comes every 20 mins, and takes 20 mins to get there. Then there's also the tube, which is every 10/20 minutes, and takes 5 minutes to reach the Terminals 1-3 tube station, from where I can walk to the bus station. This journey is also free with an oyster card.

However, I have also read about the Heathrow Express service (which is not normally free, but is *apparently* free between Terminal 4 and Terminals 1-3).

Can anybody confirm (for definite) if this service is free or not? Because lots of other websites say it is free between T4 and T 1-3, but the actual Heathrow Express service website doesn't mention the word "free".

Thanks.
Reply 504
Original post by firegalley246
I have a question: I need to get from Heathrow Terminal 4, to Heathrow Central Bus Station (Tuesday 8am in the morning). I know that there is a free local bus (555) which comes every 20 mins, and takes 20 mins to get there. Then there's also the tube, which is every 10/20 minutes, and takes 5 minutes to reach the Terminals 1-3 tube station, from where I can walk to the bus station. This journey is also free with an oyster card.

However, I have also read about the Heathrow Express service (which is not normally free, but is *apparently* free between Terminal 4 and Terminals 1-3).

Can anybody confirm (for definite) if this service is free or not? Because lots of other websites say it is free between T4 and T 1-3, but the actual Heathrow Express service website doesn't mention the word "free".

Thanks.

It's free on the tube with an oyster card.
Reply 505
With an Oyster card, do I have to touch in and out at the barriers at the top of each station if I'm changing trains at that station?

TfL say you have to touch in and out if you're changing trains at a station, but I have no idea if I can just touch in at a platform - I don't even know if they have the readers at the platforms.

Also, if I travel X journeys in a day and it costs more than the price of a travelcard will it change to a travelcard so I won't be charged extra? I heard they do this but I'm not sure
Original post by Jerokiee
With an Oyster card, do I have to touch in and out at the barriers at the top of each station if I'm changing trains at that station?

TfL say you have to touch in and out if you're changing trains at a station, but I have no idea if I can just touch in at a platform - I don't even know if they have the readers at the platforms.

You only have to touch at the start and end of your journey, when you're changing lines you just walk to the platform you need within the station. There are a few exceptions to this (changing at certain stations such as Bank-Monument and Hammersmith, or getting on a National Rail service going outside London), but when you need to do this you'll have to pass through a gateline.

Also, if I travel X journeys in a day and it costs more than the price of a travelcard will it change to a travelcard so I won't be charged extra? I heard they do this but I'm not sure

Yes, PAYG caps at the price of a daily travelcard so you won't be charged more than £7 daily for travelling in zones 1 and 2, for example.
Reply 507
I originally booked tickets for a train departing at 11:50 and arriving at 2:30, now something has come up and I'm going to need a later train.

I have off peak train tickets, does that mean I can get any off-peak trains going the same route or do I HAVE to get the train I booked tickets for?
It depends on the ticket. Check the info next to the train you booked. It should say when else your ticket is valid. Failing that, call the train operator.
Original post by echeee
I originally booked tickets for a train departing at 11:50 and arriving at 2:30, now something has come up and I'm going to need a later train.

I have off peak train tickets, does that mean I can get any off-peak trains going the same route or do I HAVE to get the train I booked tickets for?

Pedant point, you don't book a train on an off peak ticket. You only book on a train with an ADVANCE ticket which is valid for the specified train only.

If they are Off Peak (Day) singles/returns you are fine to use them on another train, just a bit odd to buy them before travel as they are the same price on the day, only advances change in price.
Original post by Sabriella
It depends on the ticket. Check the info next to the train you booked. It should say when else your ticket is valid. Failing that, call the train operator.

If the OP is booked on a train they will have a seat reservation, so they have 2 bits of orange paper. If they are not booked on a train it'll just be one ticket and board any train within off peak hours.
Original post by ChapelTom
If the OP is booked on a train they will have a seat reservation, so they have 2 bits of orange paper. If they are not booked on a train it'll just be one ticket and board any train within off peak hours.

With my rail company (east midland trains) you get 2 bits of paper even with off peak tickets as you still reserve a seat on one train, although you can get any off peak train. It will depend on the rail company but for east midlands check your ticket, if it says advance/super advance anywhere then it is only for that specific train, if it says off peak return or similar on it then it is for any off peak train.

BUT you can book a standard off-peak ticket and choose to reserve seats on a particular train.

in that case the OP could still take a different train

It really does depend on the ticket booked. I've booked trains in advance and my ticket has been valid for selected times, despite having picked a certain time. You can also book open returns, although I don't think that's what the OP has done.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
BUT you can book a standard off-peak ticket and choose to reserve seats on a particular train.

in that case the OP could still take a different train

Of course, but you usually do not get a seat reservation with a standard off peak ticket. Several operators like Northern do not offer them at all.

Original post by Sabriella
It really does depend on the ticket booked. I've booked trains in advance and my ticket has been valid for selected times, despite having picked a certain time. You can also book open returns, although I don't think that's what the OP has done.

It sounds like the OP has booked an advance at an off peak time in which case you MUST stick to your booked train or the ticket is worthless.
Original post by lolololol
With my rail company (east midland trains) you get 2 bits of paper even with off peak tickets as you still reserve a seat on one train, although you can get any off peak train. It will depend on the rail company but for east midlands check your ticket, if it says advance/super advance anywhere then it is only for that specific train, if it says off peak return or similar on it then it is for any off peak train.

I'm sorry but I struggle to believe that as a regular on EMT services. Unless you have an advance or book a separate seat reservation with a walk up ticket, you do not get assigned a seat.

I travel on EMT regularly and get one bit of orange paper OUT if its a single and of course a second RTN for return.. I have never got on an EMT train and being assigned a seat, it does not work like that. If you can show me evidence then please do but I simply do not believe it as especially when a lot of EMTs services are non-reservable!!

EMT are no different to other TOCs.

If in doubt, go ask the experts @ www.railforums.co.uk
(edited 11 years ago)

It sounds like the OP has booked an advance at an off peak time in which case you MUST stick to your booked train or the ticket is worthless.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I've booked these in the past and have had the information tell me that the ticket is valid for more than one time. (You don't get a seat res, though.)
It takes me an hour and a half to get to college (North to South-West London) so I buy weekly travelcards on my Oyster card, they're around £25 depending what zone you live in. They're also great, cos they allow you to go into London on weekends as much as you want! :smile:
Reply 518
Thanks for the replies. I have 3 different trains to catch so it's probably not worth my risking missing a train. I'll just have to sit in a pub for 2 hours after arrival. :wink: :tongue:

Edit: Actually, I booked through TheTrainLine and my tickets are Off-Peak Returns, underneath this it has "Any off-peak train. Return within 1 month"?

2nd Edit: Just checked again and my tickets do not have actual times on them, just days that they're valid from (My out-train has to be taken today, but doesn't say when) So I can get a later train! :biggrin:

Thanks for the help guys. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm sorry but I struggle to believe that as a regular on EMT services. Unless you have an advance or book a separate seat reservation with a walk up ticket, you do not get assigned a seat.

I travel on EMT regularly and get one bit of orange paper OUT if its a single and of course a second RTN for return.. I have never got on an EMT train and being assigned a seat, it does not work like that. If you can show me evidence then please do but I simply do not believe it as especially when a lot of EMTs services are non-reservable!!

EMT are no different to other TOCs.

If in doubt, go ask the experts @ www.railforums.co.uk

It is true though... I travel with them all the time. It isn't the ticket I usually get but I've done it quite a few times before. In fact go on their website right now, if you book an off peak/super off peak ticket then just don't uncheck "reserve a seat" on the next page. It is free to do and doesn't mean you have to travel on that train. It does say it is not guaranteed but I've always got reservations that way so I dunno.

Quick Reply

Latest