The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bulbasaur
They're all going to be quite specific and probably a bit random if you list titles, but mine is "To what extent is Nuclear Power the optimal long-term solution to the modern Energy Crisis?”

I appreciate this but "random" is what I am going for - I want to show how much scope there is to do whatever interests you.
Is the use of robotics to deliver aid to third world and wartorn countries a viable endeavour?

that wasn't the exact title but it's pretty close iirc.
Thanks, I'll just leave it at that in my presentation but I'll leave this thread open in case any really interesting titles crop up that I could use :smile:

I'm a little bit worried mine sounds pathetic now :L "To what extent is Tudor food acceptable to a 21st Century palate?" or something of that ilk have not finished it yet...
Original post by fimblesocks
I appreciate this but "random" is what I am going for - I want to show how much scope there is to do whatever interests you.

Oh that's fine then :smile:
Original post by fimblesocks
Thanks, I'll just leave it at that in my presentation but I'll leave this thread open in case any really interesting titles crop up that I could use :smile:

I'm a little bit worried mine sounds pathetic now :L "To what extent is Tudor food acceptable to a 21st Century palate?" or something of that ilk have not finished it yet...

well at my school the EPQ was mostly aimed at people who wanted to do a certain area of research, so we ended up with a couple of psychological and sociological studies as well which ended up at over 100 participants each iirc.

But now this year they're making everyone who's applying to Oxbridge do one so they will probably be much more varied and less hardcore (for lack of a better word).
Original post by Helloworld_95

But now this year they're making everyone who's applying to Oxbridge do one so they will probably be much more varied and less hardcore (for lack of a better word).

Your school is foolish if they believe that everyone doing an EPQ will greatly increase their chances of getting into Oxbridge. Oxbridge want people who get off their backside to do research themselves and it will be obvious if they ask 'what motivated you to do an EPQ?' that people did not choose it for themselves. Please tell your school this :tongue:.
Hello, just wanted to check. Do we get out EPQ results on the 16th? I have heard some people have already be told or received a grade but if I haven't will I get it with my other ones?
Hello,
I would like to do my EPQ on antimatter and medicine. I am both interested in chemistry, physics (despite not taking it at as) and medicine. Does it have to be a question and if so, can anyone suggest a suitable question?
Thanks

King Regards
Original post by woohooo
hey guys please please answer my poll for my epq! won't take twooooooooo seconds

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G563QVT

you'd be doing me a huge favour
thank you :biggrin:

Answered
Hi :smile:

This is my revised EPQ question: "Is Antonin Artaud's theory of the "Theatre of Cruelty" an effective way of affecting audiences?" (I know there's a lot of 'affect' and 'effect' but I didn't know how else to word it :P)

I gave this question: "Has Antonin Artaud's theory of the "Theatre of Cruelty" affected modern adaptations of theatre?" to my teacher, and she told me that she wasn't sure I'd be able to get a good conclusion -- she wasn't sure what I would actually be proving with my question.

SO. Which question do you think is better -- or do you think neither are good? PLUS, do you think I'll be able to get good conclusions from either, or do you think I should choose another question?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by violet_skies
Hi :smile:

This is my revised EPQ question: "Is Antonin Artaud's theory of the "Theatre of Cruelty" an effective way of affecting audiences?" (I know there's a lot of 'affect' and 'effect' but I didn't know how else to word it :P)

I gave this question: "Has Antonin Artaud's theory of the "Theatre of Cruelty" affected modern adaptations of theatre?" to my teacher, and she told me that she wasn't sure I'd be able to get a good conclusion -- she wasn't sure what I would actually be proving with my question.

SO. Which question do you think is better -- or do you think neither are good? PLUS, do you think I'll be able to get good conclusions from either, or do you think I should choose another question?

Thanks! :biggrin:

For the second question, if you altered it to "To what extent has Antonin Artaud's theory of the "Theatre of Cruelty" affected modern adaptations of theatre?" I think you'd be able to reach a conclusion over how profound the influence was.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MissBlueskys
Hello, just wanted to check. Do we get out EPQ results on the 16th? I have heard some people have already be told or received a grade but if I haven't will I get it with my other ones?

It depends when your school entered you for marking.

When did you enter?

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked already but I'm halfway through my project and I'm not sure how our resources are supposed to be evaluated...do I evaluate every website and book individually in the bibliography? or throughout the essay? (I'm doing a 5000 word investigation)

Cheers! x
Original post by Jaxsphere
Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked already but I'm halfway through my project and I'm not sure how our resources are supposed to be evaluated...do I evaluate every website and book individually in the bibliography? or throughout the essay? (I'm doing a 5000 word investigation)

Cheers! x

I am using my resources and then discussing them within the report, the bibliography is simply a record of what resources you use.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
I am using my resources and then discussing them within the report, the bibliography is simply a record of what resources you use.

Ok thanks :smile: but are you evaluating every website you use? I have so many already!
Reply 3075
I am doing my EPQ on the ethics of embryonic stem cell research. I have got access to lots of papers from internet sources, but I need to contact some people who are working in the field, like scientist and religious leaders, to get the religious views. However, I am confused as to why would I need to visit a uni library when I can get the same information from journal papers, from the internet.
Original post by Americaniamh
For the second question, if you altered it to "To what extent has Antonin Artaud's theory of the "Theatre of Cruelty" affected modern adaptations of theatre?" I think you'd be able to reach a conclusion over how profound the influence was.

Thank you so much! I'm going to use the revised question that you gave me, it's so much better than the other two! Thank you again! :smile:
Original post by Jaxsphere
Ok thanks :smile: but are you evaluating every website you use? I have so many already!

An investigative EPQ is really just a meta-analysis in disguise so evaluate resources that you use but dont go overboard. Evaluate everything and then read what you have put, if you think it is too much then remove it. You are the best judge of your ability and writing. :smile:
Original post by Americaniamh
It depends when your school entered you for marking.

When did you enter?

I am not entirely sure when, I started it in September and ended about April.
just wondered if anyone else is doing/have done this?

Ive decided on my topic, i'm basing it round my grandads Alzheimer's- im applying for adult nursing so it fits well, but i dont know what to call it or where to start! Argh tips please! good luck on Thursday too everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest