The Student Room Group

American Thinking of Studying In The UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Think it was me that refered you here :biggrin:
Reply 21
Alix23 = boomting? Thanks for the recommendation. This is a great resource. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Turnover
Alix23 = boomting? Thanks for the recommendation. This is a great resource. :smile:

haha no, sorry. Should have read your original post better, I send a lot of people here :smile:
Right on! :smile: Are you looking at applying for 2013 admission? I assume you're also looking to do a second degree, yes?

lol i am applying for 2013 admission, but im doing my first degree :smile:
Hello, fellow American (Texas here)! Sorry to hijack your thread.

I am wondering if other Americans have had any luck entering multiple universities into the UCAS application, if you attended several.

I personally have attended three, but only one is my degree-granting institution. Credits from all three of the colleges contributed toward the final degree. However, my GPAs at the places are different.

The problem: there's nowhere to put in my GPAs if I didn't get a degree from that institution. My GPA from the degree-granting institution is a 4.0, BUT I don't have a 4.0 at ALL of the colleges I've attended. I'm trying to avoid accidentally misleading people by writing 4.0 as my only GPA. If you combine all of the credits total, i have a 3.87, but that's not what it say on my transcript with the degree granted.

So yes... help? Will that even mean anything to whomever reads the application? Can I put that I did receive a qualification from the other universities and just say "Various credits - GPA: X" ?

EDIT: I think I found a better thread for this, so I'm cross-posting. I would still appreciate input if you have it, though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
heatheradair: No problem. I'm actually relieved to see that I'm not the only one looking at doing a second degree in the UK. Can I ask what program you're looking at?
I'm going to apply to graduate entry medicine. I'm also applying here in Texas as a backup plan, but I'm married to a British citizen, and we want to make the move! This seems like a good time to do it.

I'm so frustrated with trying to fit my qualifications into the UCAS application :frown: A CV would be so much easier (though I understand it would make it more difficult for the people actually reviewing hundreds of applications).

I already took the UKCAT (sort of like MCAT, though the formatting is very different) with good results, so that makes me feel a bit better. I suppose I'm most anxious about how admissions committees will perceive my degree! I just don't know what to expect as far as their familiarity with what our degrees/transcripts look like. I know my records look very different from my husband's! Furthermore, I took a lot of post-bacc classes to qualify for medical school here in the US, so even though I have a Psychology degree, I have many courses beyond the scope of my original degree. It feels a bit overwhelming. Ah, well - I will try my best!
Reply 27
I have another small question for you folks. I know that the MEng is the 'highest' undergraduate degree. If a Master of Engineering is awarded to undergraduates who spend an additional year at university, what is awarded to graduate students (the degree in between an undergraduate degree and a Ph.D.)?

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. One would earn a Master of Science, apparently.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
I'm curious about something. If the course I'm interested in studying starting in 2013 becomes available in clearing to start later this year (fall 2012), would it be possible for me to apply for it through clearing?
Reply 29
I'm curious about something. If the course I'm interested in studying starting in 2013 becomes available in clearing to start later this year (fall 2012), would it be possible for me to apply for it through clearing?

Yes. I'd recommened contacting the universities you're interested in via email and explaining your situation. They can probably give you more specific advise! :smile: You can probably find something for September if you want to.
Reply 30
MIT > Aberdeen
Reply 31
Okay, that's actually good news. Well, it's a mixed bag actually; if I found a spot open and was admitted to my desired course, I'd only have about a month to prepare to move across the Atlantic and to figure out my finances/student visa/lodging, et cetera. But, I think I'd be able to deal with that. I see the Scottish clearing has already been announced. To my surprise, one of the courses I'm interested in is listed in the Scotland directory. I think I'm going to inquire about it.
(edited 11 years ago)

It would be possible but there might not be time to get a visa sorted before the start of term - there's some variation on when universities start term in the UK - some scottish unis start in the middle of August while Oxbridge and the older english/welsh/NI unis start in early October with the younger universities "generally" starting somewhere in between (ie during september some time).

It's also possible to get a deferred place via clearing (which would cut down on the hassle of doing a full UCAS application). But if you did want to apply as standard for 2013 then you can't do so while also holding a deferred offer from the previous application cycle.
Reply 33
As in a spot in my desired course, if its available through clearing, for admission in 2013? That would be awesome.
As in a spot in my desired course, if its available through clearing, for admission in 2013? That would be awesome.

Try looking at Durham university near the world famous Durham cathedral it's one if the best in the country highly thought of. Also look at Newcastle one of the princesses studied there and that is now highly thought of both have a great social scene.
Reply 35
If the course you are interested in is offered through Clearing, I wouldn't bother with it :tongue:
The reason I'm saying this is because top universities never go into clearing (for instance you would never see Saint Andrews there) and since you are coming to the UK to study (I guess) at a good university, I would suggest you apply for 2013 entry through UCAS if you really want to do another undergraduate degree (though I don't really see the point in doing so).
What I would do is go for an MSc (as many others have already suggested). There are two "kinds" of MSc's: the first one is for people who want to change their career, so they would be taught the basics of the subject and then go from there; the second one is for people who already have an advanced knowledge of the subject and wish to study a specific area of it more profoundly.
I have seen people who got their BA in English do an MSc in Software Development and end up working as Software Engineers in big software houses. :biggrin:
So I don't really know about the US, but here it can be done! :biggrin:

Edit: sorry about the first sentence, that may have sounded a bit harsh! :tongue:
I read on The Telegraph that this year is gonna be different from previous years due to the rise in tuition fees. Since they are gonna be tripled from this academic year for Home/EU students, most people have decided to look elsewhere (i.e. abroad). More people than usual have decided to decline offers they had deferred in 2011 for this year's entry, which means more places will be available.
And it looks like big universities are gonna be into Clearing this year (I read Manchester is gonna be in it for instance).
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending