The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Ah I see! Thanks :biggrin: I didn't know that!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Good luck for all those receiving A2 results soon :smile:

If any of you have any questions regarding UCL, the medical school, the course or living in London/London expenses etc - do not hesitate to message me so long as its not asking about:

1) books to buy - wait until the course starts and you decide which physiology textbook you're most comfortable with. The med school recommends a few and you only need to use one (cost around £18-35) and its not needed until a good 6 or so weeks into the term. the only other book you'll need is an anatomy book written written by your lecturer, which you need after christmas. Books for all other topics can be readily got from the library.

2) what to read/do before you come here - there's no point doing any reading as all the lectures tend to cover whatever you did at A-level very quickly in a fraction of the lecture. any extra reading you do now will be out of context without your lectures. most importantly, just enjoy the remaining month or so of your holidays, save up money and work out what stuff you need to bring to uni (pens, pencils, bottle openers and rulers are not needed as you'll get a year's supply of them if you pick one up from each stall at the fresher's fayre :wink:)

All the best! :biggrin:
ucl A100 confirmed
Original post by purplefrog
THIS IS BASED ON 2011 ENTRY (my year of application)

SUBJECTS:

Spoiler

UCAS REFERENCE:

Spoiler

BMAT

Spoiler

INTERVIEWS:

Spoiler

OFFERS:

Spoiler

Hey i was wondering what you thought about UMS and individual modular results, would it really damage an application to get a B in one chemistry exam, and not great UMS for Bio and chem, whilst still getting AAAA ?

Any ideas ?
Original post by Orinincandenza
Hey i was wondering what you thought about UMS and individual modular results, would it really damage an application to get a B in one chemistry exam, and not great UMS for Bio and chem, whilst still getting AAAA ?

Any ideas ?

Well UCL do ask for 'a strong background in AS chemsitry and biology' for applicants who apply in Y13. By strong background, most have interpreted that to mean an A (and some say A+B). To the best of my knowledge, UCL do not make it mandatory for people to declare their UMS, however for your application year they said they may contact individuals (very rare) to disclose such information. Chances are, if you have an A over all with just one B in a module, it won't damage your chances at all as you've shown consistency in your performance at the highest levels possible. With those results you mentioned, you should be safe - even if you scraped As (which is what I'm assuming 'not great UMS' means for somebody with an A) :smile:
Well UCL do ask for 'a strong background in AS chemsitry and biology' for applicants who apply in Y13. By strong background, most have interpreted that to mean an A (and some say A+B). To the best of my knowledge, UCL do not make it mandatory for people to declare their UMS, however for your application year they said they may contact individuals (very rare) to disclose such information. Chances are, if you have an A over all with just one B in a module, it won't damage your chances at all as you've shown consistency in your performance at the highest levels possible. With those results you mentioned, you should be safe - even if you scraped As (which is what I'm assuming 'not great UMS' means for somebody with an A) :smile:

Ok, thanks, all helpful stuff. Still not sure if i'm going to apply, so much to consider.
Original post by Orinincandenza
x

To the best of my knowledge, UCL do not make it mandatory for people to declare their UMS, however for your application year they said they may contact individuals (very rare) to disclose such information.

An email I got from UCL (underlining is mine) :

Thank you for your enquiry.

All candidates must include AS level grades. However, when assessing
applications if UMS scores are not included for all modules and all
subjects we will most likely request this information if we are
considering interviewing the applicant.

With regards
Amy Davis
Original post by SaintSoldier
An email I got from UCL (underlining is mine) :

Thank you for your enquiry.

All candidates must include AS level grades. However, when assessing
applications if UMS scores are not included for all modules and all
subjects we will most likely request this information if we are
considering interviewing the applicant.

With regards
Amy Davis

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing this out :smile: I'll be sure to remember that for further queries. I understand you're applying the coming cycle? Are you able to confirm for me whether on the UCAS form it is now mandatory to declare all module results (and resits??) for each AS/A2 course? And whether there is now a separate box for UMS?

I've heard whispers about both, but have no way of verifying. Would be nice to hear it from somebody with actual access to the e-form. And will help me hone any advice I give later on, given the floods of PMs and quotes people send to query UCLMS' procedures.
I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing this out :smile: I'll be sure to remember that for further queries.

No problem :smile:

I understand you're applying the coming cycle?

Yes, although (I hope this doesn't sound arrogant) I am having trouble deciding between here and Cambridge. I'm 80% on the side of applying to UCL, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Are you able to confirm for me whether on the UCAS form it is now mandatory to declare all module results (and resits??) for each AS/A2 course?

I said:

"My school has a policy of only declaring grades for whole AS-Levels, as opposed to individual unit scores on the UCAS form. However, they always include the total UMS score for each AS-Level in the reference. Will I need to negotiate this with the school before I submit my application to UCL?"

To which UCL replied;

"If your application includes both the whole AS level grades on the form and UMS in the reference you will not need to negotiate anything with your school."

So I'm not too sure.

And whether there is now a separate box for UMS?

From what I remember from the last time I went on UCAS, you can only put the grade in for each module. But I'm not 100% sure on that one.

I've heard whispers about both, but have no way of verifying. Would be nice to hear it from somebody with actual access to the e-form. And will help me hone any advice I give later on, given the floods of PMs and quotes people send to query UCLMS' procedures.

What e-form?
No problem :smile:

From what I remember from the last time I went on UCAS, you can only put the grade in for each module. But I'm not 100% sure on that one.

What e-form?

That was the UCAS set up when I was there too. If you are able to take a screenshot of just that section, I'd much appreciate it - but no worries if not.

By e-form, I meant the whole UCAS application online.
That was the UCAS set up when I was there too. If you are able to take a screenshot of just that section, I'd much appreciate it - but no worries if not.

UCAS.jpg

^^ That's my Biology AS :tongue:

You can only pick grades, not UMS marks
UCAS.jpg

^^ That's my Biology AS :tongue:

You can only pick grades, not UMS marks

Cheers :smile: so basically its identical to when I applied. So UMS would have to be explicitly stated in the reference or they'll contact you should they be desperate to have it.
Cheers :smile: so basically its identical to when I applied. So UMS would have to be explicitly stated in the reference or they'll contact you should they be desperate to have it.

Yes, but according to them they'll most likely be desparate to have it if they're considering calling you for interview.

They said somewhere (I can't remember which email) that they'd contact the schoo directlyl, so you won't be notified of when your results are revealed. It's to keep you in suspence obviously :tongue:
Reply 1753
Hello and congrats to everyone with offers. I completed my a levels this june and would want to apply to UCL for 2013 intake.
My grades are A*A*AA, with A*s in Maths and physics. And A's in Chem and bio. I am an international, and do you think I would be
at least called up for interview? Its a shame since nobody got A*'s in my school for AQA science subjects due to the practical (ISA)....
Reply 1754
AS: AAAA
A2 Predictions: A*A*AA
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics (contrasting subject supposed to be helpful)
GCSE: A*A*A*AAAABBB
UKCAT: 705 (as minor indication of what my BMAT may be)

What do you think? I'm not sure whether I should try it the BMAT is such a risk. Do you think i should go for it, and can get in with an average score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending