The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Why does Imperial have 8 campuses?

Hi :biggrin: Will be starting Computing at Imperial this October.

I heard the university has 8 campuses:
# Charing Cross
# Chelsea and Westminster
# Hammersmith
# Northwick Park
# Royal Brompton
# Silwood Park
# South Kensington
# St Mary's

I've only heard of the South Kensington one. Are they all pretty major? Am I likely to study/ live/ visit any of the others?

(Also, if there happen to be any computer scientists there who read this, impromptu advice is welcome :h: Am so excited and kind of scared at the same time!!!! Ahhhhhhh)
Reply 1
Original post by geekly
Hi :biggrin: Will be starting Computing at Imperial this October.

I heard the university has 8 campuses:
# Charing Cross
# Chelsea and Westminster
# Hammersmith
# Northwick Park
# Royal Brompton
# Silwood Park
# South Kensington
# St Mary's

I've only heard of the South Kensington one. Are they all pretty major? Am I likely to study/ live/ visit any of the others?

(Also, if there happen to be any computer scientists there who read this, impromptu advice is welcome :h: Am so excited and kind of scared at the same time!!!! Ahhhhhhh)

Arent some of them just hospitals where medics get clinical teaching? (hammersmith, CXH, st marys, northwick park, royal brompton etc)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Why not?
Reply 3
Original post by AtomicMan
Arent some of them just hospitals where medics get clinical teaching? (hammersmith, CXH, st marys, northwick park, royal brompton etc)

Oh yeah!... Probably. So students don't actually live there, I presume.
Reply 4
Original post by geekly
Oh yeah!... Probably. So students don't actually live there, I presume.

No they don't. Most students won't have anything to do with the other campuses.
In addition, the other Imperial sites ("campuses") are on NHS hospital premises and forms part of the Imperial NHS Hospital Trust, which allows Imperial and the hospitals in the area to work together as part of the Academic Health sciences Centre. This helps with translational medical research and close co-operation between basic science and clinical science.

These other campuses are more relevant to medical training and scientific research done by Imperial and in collaboration with the hospitals. As you will be doing Computing, you will be based at the South Kensington campus and need not worry about the other campuses.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending