The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Original post by WingardiumLeviosa
thanks for the help!

I got through the role play and interview (had the sofa one) and then the NI card was a problem. Luckily I went home and found it down the back of a chest of drawers.

They didn't seem to mind about uni, said that I'd simply have to resign from the contract and there would be no hard feelings (e.g. a bad reference or being banned working at m&s)

So it all worked out in the end and I have a job. this thread was so helpful!

What was the sofa role play like and did they ask you any other questions apart from the roleplay
I have just applied online. I don't know what the process is for M&S recruitment. It's an 11 hour a week contract for 7am-6pm on a Saturday.

How long did it take to hear back from them? I realize the vacancy is only for the Saturday shift but if I were to want them, would it be likely for me to be able to get extra shifts on school holidays when I am able to work all week? What is their rate of pay for a 16 year old?
Original post by Rhii14
What was the sofa role play like and did they ask you any other questions apart from the roleplay

The interview was like this...

I went in an was told by the woman assessing me that I'd take part in a short role-play. She then gave me 4 cards with various information about sofas in store, e.g. colours, sizes, prices and also information about the online service and nearby branches. There was also a booklet with information about my task, telling me that a customer had been told she'd be allowed to buy a display sofa but this was not possible and I had to deal with the situation without asking my manager.

Basically after ten minutes preparation time another woman entered in 'character' and I had to politely explain that we didn't have the item she wanted then offer her all of the alternatives until she was satisfied. Where possible I had to promote offers, upsell etc.

After I'd passed this I had a short interview with the manager who asked typical interview questions such as why do you want to work here? what do you think the job entails? and when are you available to work? He then offered me the job.

I think to roleplay is the most important part to get right and as long as you remain helpful and polite is isn't very hard to pass :smile:

hope that helps!
Where can u find the online application form? I can't find it. I want to work as a cashier. Please can someone help me.
Reply 2824
I've just been for the Marks assessment and I passed! Thanks to this website! I had the missing cake scenario. But they've asked me to come back tomorrow to complete the paperwork. Do you think this means I got the job? I'm worried that by tomorrow the jobs will be taken by any applicants they are seeing after me.
Reply 2825
I was a temp at christmas and they asked me to come back last week. I'm on the foods department again. It's only 12 hours ago but its better than nothing. :smile:
Reply 2826
In which store are they doing the trial of the new lime green uniforms? Is it Bluewater by any chance? I want to see a picture of what we have in store come January!
Reply 2827
Original post by glelin96
I have just applied online. I don't know what the process is for M&S recruitment. It's an 11 hour a week contract for 7am-6pm on a Saturday.

How long did it take to hear back from them? I realize the vacancy is only for the Saturday shift but if I were to want them, would it be likely for me to be able to get extra shifts on school holidays when I am able to work all week? What is their rate of pay for a 16 year old?

I'm only contracted 7.5hrs a week but during the summer I've been doing 20 to 25 hours a week because if they have extra hours to spend and you're available, then they'll use you. Starting pay used to be £6.27 but I think it might be £6.40 now. After your 23 week accreditation it goes up to £6.80 if you stick around long enough for that :smile:
Original post by chocharl
Did not get mine as they marked me down for something stupid, and lost out by 1 mark. Absloutely fuming.

But they were very nice people

Sorry to hear that...but M&S tend to be very picky about things...

What was it?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 2829
Original post by sophusss
In which store are they doing the trial of the new lime green uniforms? Is it Bluewater by any chance? I want to see a picture of what we have in store come January!

I've been informed when your store has had a re-fit to the modernization phase then you'll recieve the new uniform. New store, new uniform.

We had a re-fit last December and we've told in October/November we'll receive new uniform, I don't like it though :-((((((((((((
Original post by ow3n
I've been informed when your store has had a re-fit to the modernization phase then you'll recieve the new uniform. New store, new uniform.

We had a re-fit last December and we've told in October/November we'll receive new uniform, I don't like it though :-((((((((((((

What does the new uniform look like? You have any pictures?

Don't think our store will be getting a refit soon as it's quite new, but when I tried to order new uniform I was told to wait until September... hmmm
Reply 2831
We're in the process of refit now and we've been told January, I just wondered whether there were any pictures floating around online :smile:
We're in the process of refit now and we've been told January, I just wondered whether there were any pictures floating around online :smile:

Yeah, me too! Apparently my manager has got access to it but keeps on winding us up as to what it actually looks like! She told us it's lime green with white polka-dots haha... don't know why they are keeping it secret!
got my interview for a temp job on thursday & i'm so nervous.. any tips would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Original post by Blakestar
Yeah, me too! Apparently my manager has got access to it but keeps on winding us up as to what it actually looks like! She told us it's lime green with white polka-dots haha... don't know why they are keeping it secret!

For girls its a lime green blouse with big black polka dots and a grey skirt I think. Boys will have a shirt similar to the current section managers shirt (green/grey stripes maybe? cant remember exactly) and a tie, with grey trousers. From what I've heard only ops will be able to wear a polo shirt and even that will have some sort of ludicrous diagonal stripe across the front.

Cant remember exactly what the new managers uniform will be but I know the female version will have a cravat type thing (LOL) and for men it will be another striped shirt and grey trousers.
Reply 2835
What?! So can girls still have trousers, because I'm not doing foods morning and evening fill in a skirt!
What?! So can girls still have trousers, because I'm not doing foods morning and evening fill in a skirt!

someone at my store said they have to offer an alternative to the skirt so i'm hoping we'll be able to wear trousers too. bending and lifting in a pencil skirt is just not going to happen. theres been suggestions that the picture we've seen is the GM smart version i.e. the equivalent of the current black dresses, skirts and blouses. So hopefully foods will get trousers and fleeces.
Reply 2837
This is the new uniform which they put up on the noticboard - we have no date yet!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ow3n
This is the new uniform which they put up on the noticboard - we have no date yet!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Doesn't look too bad! Is there a picture for the uniform for the Store Ops team? Hopefully it will still be polo shirts!
Hey

I applied for a Marks and Spencers position online and answered all the questions, to reflect that I put the the store and the management first.

Yet I was rejected ! Successful candidates, do you have any pointers to share ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending