The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by gdunne42
It's all about the UMS not about % (your calculation of average % isn't sensible as the components are not equally weighted)
For a 400 UMS A level You need a total UMS of at least 320 for the full A level which includes at least 180 UMS from your A2 coursework and exam combined.

Ah, OK, that makes sense. Thanks :smile:
Original post by DrSwitched
Apologies if this sort of thing has been asked dozens of times already but I am panicking quite a bit about chemistry. I really messed up my unit two exam and my overall AS UMS score is 228/300 (B).

Is it still possible for me to get an A* at A2 with this score? And if so what kind of score would I have to get at A2 (I imagine it'll be very high).

You need a 90% average in the A2 modules
Original post by Khallil
If S1 and S2 are put towards my Mathematics A Level (i.e. C1-4, S1-2) and I have FP1, M1 and D1 contributing to my Further Mathematics A Level, will the S2 score contribute to attaining an A* in Further Mathematics or it will it be FP2, FP3 and M2 alone ?

The S2 can count towards the A* in further maths if that's what is needed. Your modules will be arranged in a way which will get you the highest possible grade.

You could end up with FP2, FP3 and S2 in further maths. It all depends on modules scores.
Original post by Khallil
If S1 and S2 are put towards my Mathematics A Level (i.e. C1-4, S1-2) and I have FP1, M1 and D1 contributing to my Further Mathematics A Level, will the S2 score contribute to attaining an A* in Further Mathematics or it will it be FP2, FP3 and M2 alone ?

Your S2 can't count towards the A* in FM unless it is included in the FM. As long as your school recash in your AS Maths, A level Maths and AS FM next summer, the exam board will automatically work out the combination that gives you the best grades at A level Maths and FM.
hey my name is Talha Azam!! I want to ask how could I give A'levels paper in U.K as an International student and to give them privately? My subjects will be economics,computers and accounting!
Original post by Talha azam
hey my name is Talha Azam!! I want to ask how could I give A'levels paper in U.K as an International student and to give them privately? My subjects will be economics,computers and accounting!

In many countries you can do them through the British Council

http://www.britishcouncil.org/exams
With sciences, do you need 90% in all A2 units or an average of 90% in all A2 units? Thanks for the help!
Original post by TheBigGeek
With sciences, do you need 90% in all A2 units or an average of 90% in all A2 units? Thanks for the help!

You need 270/300 UMS from the A2 units i.e. an average of 90%
I achieved an A* in English Literature last Thursday, though in many ways I feel like it's very undeserved. I got 323/400 UMS marks which means 4 UMS marks fewer and I would have achieved a B instead...
Reply 1209
Original post by R3cognize
I achieved an A* in English Literature last Thursday, though in many ways I feel like it's very undeserved. I got 323/400 UMS marks which means 4 UMS marks fewer and I would have achieved a B instead...

Don't feel like its undeserved it just means that in A2 (the harder year) you managed to pull your subject up to preform at an average over 90% that year regardless of how AS went. A great achievement! :smile:
Reply 1210
70% at AS meaning it's actually impossible to get A if you're aiming to get 90% or above in A2 units?
Reply 1211
Original post by Rtcw
70% at AS meaning it's actually impossible to get A if you're aiming to get 90% or above in A2 units?

Not strictly true in A level maths A* is worked out from a 90% average from C3 and C4 the entire A level from 6 modules. so say you got 70% in C1, C2, M1 so your AS is 70% average then if you got M2-95%, C3-85%, C4-90% your A2 modules would average 90% but because your C3, C4 average is only 87.5% the candidate would achieve an A not an A*.
Reply 1212
So to get an A* you need(for example)
90% at A2 but only 80% in total.
Does that mean you can get
70% AS and 90% A2 for an A*
Original post by Sam_1996
So to get an A* you need(for example)
90% at A2 but only 80% in total.
Does that mean you can get
70% AS and 90% A2 for an A*

Yes, it is in the first post of the thread. How many times do people have to be told for them to understand this simple matter?
How easy is it for most to get 90% or more UMS on C3 and C4 in Maths?

I don't know whether I should resit my c2 (74/100) or not, where I had 88 in C1 and 86 in S1.
Reply 1215
Original post by Future_Dr
How easy is it for most to get 90% or more UMS on C3 and C4 in Maths?

I don't know whether I should resit my c2 (74/100) or not, where I had 88 in C1 and 86 in S1.

90% UMS can require as much as 95% raw to get - you can't afford more than 2-3 marks lost. Saying that, re-sitting your C2 has no bearing on whetehr or not you will get an A*.
Original post by Data
90% UMS can require as much as 95% raw to get - you can't afford more than 2-3 marks lost. Saying that, re-sitting your C2 has no bearing on whetehr or not you will get an A*.

So.... is it going to help whether I resit? Or should I just concentrate more on the C3/4 and try to gain as much marks?
How does the A* in Further Maths work? I'm aware that for FM you need to get 270 marks across all three of your A2 modules, but I've seen posts on TSR about people being able to juggle modules around between qualifications.

From what I gather, if you were to do FP1, D1 & S2 for AS and then FP2, M2, & D2 for A2, and were to achieve an average of 90 across S2, FP2 & M2 but not FP2, M2 & D2, the exam board would cash them in in such a way that means you get an A*. Is this the case? And does it matter whether your AS has already been cashed in? I did FP1, NM and S2 for AS and this has been certified, can I still juggle my modules if necessary and 're-certify', or is it only possible if your AS level isn't cashed in?
Original post by Silent--ly
How does the A* in Further Maths work? if you were to do FP1, D1 & S2 for AS and then FP2, M2, & D2 for A2, and were to achieve an average of 90 across S2, FP2 & M2 but not FP2, M2 & D2, the exam board would cash them in in such a way that means you get an A*.

Correct

It does not matter what order you sit the modules or whether taken in your AS or A2 year the A* is based on achieving 270 UMS from the best 3 A2 module results and 480 UMS overall. It does not matter if you are cashed in at AS or not. The juggling is done automatically by the examiners to maximise your grades. This is true for all examiners.
Just need confirmation of this;

I got 150/200 UMS in Economics AS, a B; if I kept my AS grades and got 90% for A2, would that constitute an A*?

Quick Reply

Latest