The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iusedtoknowstuff
Hey, I'm now a third year at liverpool and feel that you lot would probably benefit from a book recommendation.

It's called How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine by Trisha Greenhalgh

Sections 1, 3 and 5 which aren't that long will help you fly through 'PP' (one of the four themes) and the other sections will help with your SSM (special study module).

Here is a link to a pdf of the bookhttp://www.fk.unair.ac.id/pdfiles/ebook/How to Read a Paper.pdf

Good luck with your results!

Hello, firstly congrats on getting into medicine. I was wondering if I could possibly steal some advice, after bombing on the ukcat, trust me I had a bad day, I think Liverpool may be the place for me.

I have 7A*, 4A's, 2B's and a level two betc diploma in music at gcse level. At A level I'm predicted 4A's and have just recently completed an open university course in human genetics and health issues.

I understand Liverpool is keen on work experiance, I have 4 years at the RSPCA charity shop, 1 year at a care home with those with damentia, 1 year with children with dissabilities, 1 day in AnE, a few days shadowing surgery in south africa, a week in a reasearch lab and time in a childrens hospice.

Outside of this I'm also an ex air cadet, first aider, bronze d of e and national navigation award, prefect and ambassador, play piano, guitar and sing. Oh and I'm part of the medical society at school.

Is this enough?
Reply 3021
Original post by Thefunnynameone
Hello, firstly congrats on getting into medicine. I was wondering if I could possibly steal some advice, after bombing on the ukcat, trust me I had a bad day, I think Liverpool may be the place for me.

I have 7A*, 4A's, 2B's and a level two betc diploma in music at gcse level. At A level I'm predicted 4A's and have just recently completed an open university course in human genetics and health issues.

I understand Liverpool is keen on work experiance, I have 4 years at the RSPCA charity shop, 1 year at a care home with those with damentia, 1 year with children with dissabilities, 1 day in AnE, a few days shadowing surgery in south africa, a week in a reasearch lab and time in a childrens hospice.

Outside of this I'm also an ex air cadet, first aider, bronze d of e and national navigation award, prefect and ambassador, play piano, guitar and sing. Oh and I'm part of the medical society at school.

Is this enough?

What subjects did you get the Bs in? If they weren't core subjects you would get 18/18 for GCSE score. For Liverpool it's not really the work experience they're keen on, it's the personal statement as a whole.
Your experiences are impressive and should be more than sufficient. Just follow the guidelines Liverpool have set as seen below when writing your statement.

Evidence of appropriate experience, aptitude, and communication:
Candidates must demonstrate suitable evidence of:
health care career awareness/insight and
a caring contribution to the local community and
a critical, coherent, and informative approach to written communication
Reply 3022
~

As Myyrh said, the PS goes a long way at Liverpool. My interview was pretty much 100% based on my PS, and they threw in some really interesting ethics questions to test reasoning. Since they don't look at the UKCAT, they place heavy emphasis on grades and PS> You seem to have strong academics so in that department, you should be okay. Just concentrate on writing a brilliant PS and you should do fine.
Original post by myyrh
What subjects did you get the Bs in? If they weren't core subjects you would get 18/18 for GCSE score. For Liverpool it's not really the work experience they're keen on, it's the personal statement as a whole.
Your experiences are impressive and should be more than sufficient. Just follow the guidelines Liverpool have set as seen below when writing your statement.

I got A* english lit A eng lan, A stats, B maths, A* geog, A* history, A* graphics, two A*'s in science, A in RS, A in core science, A* in additional science and a B in music.

Where it says evidence, does that mean I need letters from my work placement to prove I've done it? Thank you for helping :smile:

Whats medicine like at liverpool, you enjoying it?
Reply 3024
I got A* english lit A eng lan, A stats, B maths, A* geog, A* history, A* graphics, two A*'s in science, A in RS, A in core science, A* in additional science and a B in music.

Where it says evidence, does that mean I need letters from my work placement to prove I've done it? Thank you for helping :smile:

Whats medicine like at liverpool, you enjoying it?

By evidence I think they mean they expect the following in the personal statement. If you get invited for interview they do ask you to fill in a form with your work experience contact details because apparently they do random checks. My offer is for 2012 entry so I haven't started yet :smile:
Reply 3025
I have an unconditional offer for Medicine at Liverpool starting 2012! Can't wait! :smile:

Is this enough?

As has been said your experience is impressive (more than adequate) and the personal statement plays an important role at liverpool.

In addition to what has been said they will ask:
Why medicine?
and
Why liverpool?

As I'm sure you know from your research liverpool has a PBL curriculum, does this style of learning play to your learning skills. They'll want to know what you already know about how it works.

Medicine at liverpool has its ups and downs but overall I am enjoying it. It has a very active social scene, sports teams and societies. There is over 350 people in my year and I am still meeting new people I've not spoken to yet!
I realise this is last years entry thread, but could someone tell me what Liverpool are most bothered about. Like some Unis are GCSE heavy, some UKCAT heavy (I know liverpool don't need the UKCAT) and so forth.
Reply 3028
Original post by DingDong!
I realise this is last years entry thread, but could someone tell me what Liverpool are most bothered about. Like some Unis are GCSE heavy, some UKCAT heavy (I know liverpool don't need the UKCAT) and so forth.

For Liverpool the biggest weighting is put on the personal statement. They're also pretty on GCSEs too so most applicants looking to apply there will have 16-18/18 points. They score your top 9 subjects including Maths, English and Sciences assigning 2 points to A*/A and 1 point for a B.
Original post by myyrh
For Liverpool the biggest weighting is put on the personal statement. They're also pretty on GCSEs too so most applicants looking to apply there will have 16-18/18 points. They score your top 9 subjects including Maths, English and Sciences assigning 2 points to A*/A and 1 point for a B.

I got all A*s and As at GCSE, what tips do you have for the personal statement? :smile:
Reply 3030
Original post by DingDong!
I got all A*s and As at GCSE, what tips do you have for the personal statement? :smile:

That's great :biggrin: Just focus on following these guidelines Liverpool provides below
As long as you do that you'll be fine :wink:
Hey guys, how important are GCSEs when it comes to applying for Medicine at Liverpool, would someone stand a decent chance with 5 A*s and 5 As, provided they had good A levels abd relevant work experience? Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3032
Original post by StudentAT
Hey guys, how important are GCSEs when it comes to applying for Medicine at Liverpool, would someone stand a decent chance with 5 A*s and 5 As, provided they had good A levels abd relevant work experience? Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Someone with 5A*s and 5As would get 18/18 for their GCSE score.
For Liverpool, your top 9 subjects are scored including the core subjects.
A*/A= 2 points
B=1 point
After that, whether you get an interview will depend on your personal statement.
I have emailed admin ages ago and didnt get a response, so. I want to apply here but not really sure about the grades since I done scottish highers and then a degree. I read their website and its not very clear on that part. I got a 2:1 in my first degree which is pharmacy. JUST want to know my chances so I know where to apply. Do they focus on academic more or non-academic stuff in the PS? any ideas?
Reply 3034
Original post by Ama2007
I have emailed admin ages ago and didnt get a response, so. I want to apply here but not really sure about the grades since I done scottish highers and then a degree. I read their website and its not very clear on that part. I got a 2:1 in my first degree which is pharmacy. JUST want to know my chances so I know where to apply. Do they focus on academic more or non-academic stuff in the PS? any ideas?

non academic.
http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/A101.pdf

Thanks but it mentions nothing about scottish highers!
Reply 3036
Original post by Ama2007
Thanks but it mentions nothing about scottish highers!

http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/Scottish.pdf
However I'm not sure it's the same for a graduate :redface:
Original post by myyrh
http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/Scottish.pdf
However I'm not sure it's the same for a graduate :redface:

yeah it just mentions A100 and not A101 I got AAAAC. I thought a 2:1 in a biomed degree such as pharmacy should be good enough! I emailed them and they havent responded yet, they take so long. Its my last choice.
Original post by myyrh

Hey,

Do Liverpool/Lancaster require some sort of confirmation from these work experience / voluntary work placements that applicants actually did stuff there? If so, I may need to contact and let them know that they may be asked to provide a reference :redface:
Yea they do if you get an interview

Quick Reply

Latest