The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2013

(Oops, setting up another med school thread :tongue:). Seeing as there isn't one that I can find for Sheffield, thought I'd make one because I'm applying there! Anyone else applying? I really loved it on the open day, and it's a nice distance from home too!

Offer holders Facebook page
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aye! I'll be applying there for 2013 entry! I'm from Cardiff so I live miles away haha. Just wondering if you could tell me how good the night life is?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Harri95
Aye! I'll be applying there for 2013 entry! I'm from Cardiff so I live miles away haha. Just wondering if you could tell me how good the night life is?

Ive been out once there and it was one of the best nights ive had out, Not Leeds or manchster but still great idd say. I know the medics there are big on nightlife too so thats good.

Im also applying here :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Richyp22
Ive been out once there and it was one of the best nights ive had out, Not Leeds or manchster but still great idd say. I know the medics there are big on nightlife too so thats good.

Im also applying here :smile:

Nice! How did you get on in your AS levels? (I'm assuming you're in year 12 going into 13)
Original post by Harri95
Nice! How did you get on in your AS levels? (I'm assuming you're in year 12 going into 13)

I ended up with AAAA, but aslong as you get Abbb, AAA predictions and 6 A's at gcse, above 600 in ukcat, youll go through to the personal statement stage which is the last decider for interview.

Yep im going into year 13 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Richyp22
I ended up with AAAA, but aslong as you get Abbb, AAA predictions and 6 A's at gcse, above 600 in ukcat, youll go through to the personal statement stage which is the last decider for interview.

Yep im going into year 13 :smile:

Same, I got AAAA as well! Where else you thinking of applying? I've got my ukcat in the 4th of september!

Original post by Harri95
Same, I got AAAA as well! Where else you thinking of applying? I've got my ukcat in the 4th of september!

Decided on Leeds,bristol, manchster and sheffield :smile: wbu?
Reply 7
Hey guys :smile: I'm applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, KCL and Birmingham (well, at the moment anyway!)
Reply 8
Hi

I am trying to decide where I might get an interview for medicine. Everything was going well until I got Abbb in my As levels. (Biology/chem/maths/physics).
The Ukcat went well as well 697.5! I am pondering as where will forgive my AS results. I am sure my school will predict me A*AA for the subjects I continue with but my AS will let me down.

Now going to work extra extra hard and to find out what went wrong. I was one mark off A in chemistry too!

Good luck I dont know how Sheffield view the AS results? Anyone?

Thankx
Reply 9
Original post by peterwadish
Hi

I am trying to decide where I might get an interview for medicine. Everything was going well until I got Abbb in my As levels. (Biology/chem/maths/physics).
The Ukcat went well as well 697.5! I am pondering as where will forgive my AS results. I am sure my school will predict me A*AA for the subjects I continue with but my AS will let me down.

Now going to work extra extra hard and to find out what went wrong. I was one mark off A in chemistry too!

Thankx

Congratulations with your UKCAT! Your AS levels are fine for Sheffield, as they only want ABBB, as long as you're predicted AAA. :smile: Shame about the chemistry, considered a remark? I know it's paid off for a few people in the current year 13 thread
I am going to ask for the paper back and see what my teacher says re the chemistry remark. There is time to do this. I may resit a couple of the modules to bring up the AS marks. Possibly? Thank you
Reply 11
@peterwadish

Congratulations on your excellent Ukcat Score. Sorry to hear about your AS level Results. However it is a small world. I received the same AS results as yourself. Two of my subjects were of by ONE Raw Mark. I know how you feel.:eek:
Reply 12
I am going to ask for the paper back and see what my teacher says re the chemistry remark. There is time to do this. I may resit a couple of the modules to bring up the AS marks. Possibly? Thank you

Im a gap year student and am wanting to apply to sheffield for medicine. Word of advice, i wouldnt bother with resits if you got very high B's as its possible to make up those extra few UMS at A2. It will give you a great deal more work if you resit rather than focussing on A2 exams. My advice is work extremely hard for your Jan modules as then it takes the pressure off for the summer. I needed E's and U's to achieve A's at A2 due to my jan results, now i've somehow managed to get 3A*'s overall. Please do not worry about your AS results, you can still get A's and A*'s if you put the hard work in!
Reply 13
Hi

Thankx

When I applied (2011 Entry), Sheffield placed a greater emphasis on A2 predictions than AS results. As long as you are predicted AAA or higher, you should be fine. :smile:
Reply 14
Hello Again,
I am going to sit my UKCAT and I would really appreciate it if you would pass on your handy tips to me. What books did you use and any external resources? Is the UKCAT a hard test. Please rate on a scale of 1-10 , where 1 is dead easy and 10 is extremely difficult. 5 is easy but not to hard.

Thanks , for your help
Reply 15
Original post by sport999
Hello Again,
I am going to sit my UKCAT and I would really appreciate it if you would pass on your handy tips to me. What books did you use and any external resources? Is the UKCAT a hard test. Please rate on a scale of 1-10 , where 1 is dead easy and 10 is extremely difficult. 5 is easy but not to hard.

Thanks , for your help

Some people find it hard, others not so much. For me it was about a 7 or an 8.
Reply 16
How much emphasis does Sheffield place on gcse's?
Reply 17
[INDENT]Yo wannabe doctor here
AS-levels: AAAB (gonna drop the B)
UKCAT:670
GCSE: 5A* 3.5A 1C
Work exp/ voluntary work: Volunteer at a playcentre for children with special needs , week at cardiology clinical measurements department, week at pharmacy
Extracurricular: 2nd dan blackbelt in the martial art Tang Soo Do, Prefect, Peer mentor

Can anyone give me advice on my chancs of gettin in???[/INDENT]

Reply 18
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
[INDENT]Yo wannabe doctor here
AS-levels: AAAB (gonna drop the B)
UKCAT:670
GCSE: 5A* 3.5A 1C
Work exp/ voluntary work: Volunteer at a playcentre for children with special needs , week at cardiology clinical measurements department, week at pharmacy
Extracurricular: 2nd dan blackbelt in the martial art Tang Soo Do, Prefect, Peer mentor

Can anyone give me advice on my chancs of gettin in???[/INDENT]

For Sheffield you're almost guaranteed an interview.

Reply 19
Original post by Harri95
For Sheffield you're almost guaranteed an interview.

what do they look for in particular?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending