The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Gaming in Victoria Hall

Are you able to play Xbox in Victoria Hall?
Reply 1
Original post by PeterJames69
Are you able to play Xbox in Victoria Hall?

Yeah you should be able to, you'll be told all about it in your welcome pack that's in your room. Check out the HorNet section of Manchester's website if you're interested though!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Strangey
Yeah you should be able to, you'll be told all about it in your welcome pack that's in your room. Check out the HorNet section of Manchester's website if you're interested though!

Thank you for the quick response.

Also do you know if it's a wired connection?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PeterJames69
Thank you for the quick response.

Also do you know if it's a wired connection?

Yep, 100 Mbps. You're given an ethernet cable as well!
Reply 4
You just have to get the WEP key from the connection settings in your xbox and put it in instead of your computer one when you want to play. I wasn't in victoria hall but generally the uni connection was pretty good apart from occasionally when it would cut out almost immediately after signing into live for about 10 mins.
Reply 5
Yeah you can, Victoria Hall has a private ISP (Ask4) which after you pay the fee to get the internet (It's not free).

This limits you to one device (a bit annoying) but you can buy for £15 an increase to 5 devices.

I was on the 30mbs package with increase this year, I put in my own router and the setup was all good (Y)
Reply 6
Cheers for all the responses guys.
Reply 7
So Victoria halls Internet isn't done by hornet like all the others? Does that mean you can connect both your pc and console up at the same time to the Internet and that routers/hubs/switches aren't banned? They seem to have ridiculous restrictions on banned items - already been threatened with a fine if I take a 4L mini fridge! Considing it's £5k for the year they could relax the restrictions.
Reply 8
Original post by Geminicru
So Victoria halls Internet isn't done by hornet like all the others? Does that mean you can connect both your pc and console up at the same time to the Internet and that routers/hubs/switches aren't banned? They seem to have ridiculous restrictions on banned items - already been threatened with a fine if I take a 4L mini fridge! Considing it's £5k for the year they could relax the restrictions.

Yup, the internet is provided by ask4 and you can use wireless routers to connect multiple devices. Although, I think you may have to take an additional package to connect multiple devices, not sure about this.
Reply 9
Original post by Geminicru

What???

I heard that fridges are not banned :redface:

Does that apply only for Victoria Hall or?
I'm in Owens parks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending