The Student Room Group

My driving progress ( continuous) :)

I thought I would make this thread of how and what I am doing in my driving lessons. I couldn't find much about detailed progress so I will make this like a diary sort of thing. Please feel free to comment and give advice. In fact it would be appreciated :smile:

Also do ignore the spelling and grammar as this isn't meant to be a formal thing. :smile: :tongue:

First lesson-2 hours ( 9th july 12)

Cockpit drill, had to sit on a cushion. Started the car learnt POM and MSM. Only stalled once when stopping. Drove down the road frequently pulling up on the left.

Stayed in first gear. Forgot to check mirrors. Then did a 3 point turn with me doing the steering. Having problems steering.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2nd lesson-2 hours (12th july 12 )

Did junctions left turns and a few right turns. Also did a mini roundabout. Having problems steering. Also did changing gears. And learnt MSPSL.

Quite a few times nearly drove over kerbs. Changed into second gear and also made controlled stops. Drove on the road for a long time. Did well. Looked at mirrors. She said to not worry about going too slow- main thing to just do turnings and junctions.

Only stalled once. She said had good clutch control as i haven’t stalled once when starting. On busier roads and also other cars were there. On right turn went wrong because i panicked with other cars. Still need to improve braking.

Also did a mini-round about. Couldnt steer properly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
3rd lesson-1 hour (16th july 12 )

STILL CANT STEER. Need to learn the pull and push method practise it. Did more right turns and left turns and how to brake. Also gear 2 and how to change back down the gear and then stop. Can start and stop in safe legal position.

Did a roundabout as well- was not busy and nearly missed my exit because I did not understand properly the direction. Either steer too late or too early around a corner. Need a balance.

Once again missed the instructions so didn’t turn. Didn’t check mirrors as frequently but did check them :smile: Could have been a better lesson. Over next few lessons will be doing more junctions and perhaps roundabouts
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
4th Lesson- (13th august 2012) 2 hours

Can steer better. Practised junctions and turns. Can do left and right turns ok now, can use the break slighty and worse thing was i stalled a lot about 3 times. Once had to stop behind a car because another learner was coming and we smiled like crazy then i stalled. So embarrassing.

Can turn the windwipers on. Was raining so yay. Kept forgetting to take the handbreak of which resulted in the stalls. Had to cut a few junctions, turning into junctions is ok, turning out it okish, am forgetting to change down to first gear and either looking and not steering or vice versa. Open and closed junctions.

One small roundabout which we keep going on, sometimes i would nearly crash if there was a car coming. Did go into the kerb a few times, once on a roundabout. But a brilliant lesson, felt so much better and can steer on roads better because was looking at the centre of the road. Left and right mirror was slighty wrong but coulsnt change it.

Center mirror didn’t seem right either. Mirror checks are ok. Just need to change down gears and use the break peddle more. Went past a very close car as well and didn’t crash. Still in gear 2. And residential streets and a one bigger street. Not sure what we are doing next lesson, maybe bigger roads hopefully :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
5th lesson (14th august) 2 hours

Went to the same street residential and practised a few more left and right turns using the brake and changing down the gear to 1. Then pulled up and practised starting and stopping in the road and changing to gear 3 and gear 2 and 1.

Then pulling off in gear 1. This was down a big road and am checking the mirrors. Then went to a larger road and practised changing to 3rd gear. Then went to bigger roads with speed limit of 30. Kept going over a little. Can use break and clutch to stop.

Stalled at traffic lights about 2 3 times but it was ok. Managed to recover. She helped with the bite so we don’t hold people up. Saw sooo many learners ...one was in front of us. The same learner as yesterday was seen. She kept waving at lots of instructors.

One phone call came and i got to drive without her kinda attention. Stalled a few times bcoz put it in gear 4 instead of 2. Did loads of roundabouts not as a topic but just practising. Going straight ahead and left. Went to quedgley.

Over hills and bridges, learnt to put more gas on. Went up till 40mph. Went across roundabouts to asda parking way, then went over the cross road next to town ..then carboot sale way and keys crossroads and then onto quedgley. Then over bridges and high speed roads, people nearly walked in front of the car.

Instructor braked and once i braked. Drove home same way back then into barton street. Steering in ok now. She said she knws when i am staring at the speed meter because i steer slighty to the right. Good lesson. Drove home
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Nobody cares...
Reply 6
Original post by MrWhosane
Nobody cares...

Nobody's forcing you to read it...
Reply 7
You could just post in The Learner Driver Progression Thread - MK II instead?
Reply 8
Original post by thatg
You could just post in The Learner Driver Progression Thread - MK II instead?

As you can see my updates are a bit too long for that thread... :smile:
Reply 9
6th lesson- (16th august 2012) 2 hours

Good lesson- could have been better. First she came and took me to that place on churchdown street and just wanted me to get used to the roads again before going on busy streets.

Then drove and did the normal gears and pulling away and driving for a bit. Then went to busier roads with more cyclist and buses and more traffic lights and more roundabouts. Keep forgetting the rules of the roundabout and so she has to steer me in the right lane.

Still takes a while to break and change gears when approaching junctions and turning out of them. Drove by the keys and loads of 40mph roads. Used gear 4. Had quite a bit of stalls in traffic lights. Also one stall resulted in the lights turning red again.

Was scared of stalling again but didn’t. Went at the end of this hill thing and practised not rolling down the hill. Finding the perfect bite. And just moving and stopping the car with the clutch. Sometimes forget to put the clutch down when changing gears. Had some idiots on the road, would just pull out or run across the road. Barton street black man not looking at the zebra crossing and just had to break suddenly.

Instructor helping with peddles when stalling at traffic lights. But getting better, taking more difficult junctions and mulitiple lane roads. Drove home again. Said it was difficult because there are hardly any parking places and i can’t park on my road until i do parallel parking . had a go at town centre driving. Steering is brill now its the peddles and the clutch control left to perfect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
7th lesson- 22nd august 2012 2 hours

Did more general driving around busy streets, traffic roads and city centre. Then onto the crossroads and loads of roundabouts including left right and straight ahead. Loads of stupid people walking in front of the car suddenly and having to brake but can do it.

Went to the hill again and practised with the bite more. Much better. Only problem is changing back down the gears when approaching roundabouts or junctions. I forget or do it too late. Steering is ok but a few times was shakey because i took the corners too fast. Driving myself home now regulary.

Still havning her drive to that zoony road place and then starting from there. She said next lesson will be going onto faster roads. Keep forgetting to change down gear when turning right, it’s proving slighty different but ok. Turning left is ok.

Need to stop talking because i keep forgetting what am supposed to be doing. Hardly stalled anymore. Just once or twice. Did hill start thing with setting the gas. Keep going in the wrong lane sometimes.

She has to keep sharply steering me over. Drove home. Nearly banged into cars at traffic lights, bought the clutch up too soon and the car in front was still not moving so panicked because my car was going and then she had to dual break me. This happened twice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Sounds like good progress to me! I love hearing other peoples progress when learning to driving, keep it comming :biggrin:
Reply 12
This is so cute :')

Glad to see you're making progress!

Still can't steer. :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
8th lesson- 24th august 2012-2 hours

Went on country roads with national speed limit. Did about 45mph. Did lots of general driving and roundabouts. Stalled outside the house. And stalled once more turning right. Not stalling that much. Gear changes are good.

Turning right still needs practising because im getting everything muddled up. Instructor having to dual control a lot. Steered too wrong on a roundabout so had to kind of make a get away. Loads of people overtaking. Am not a good driver.

Going around corners a little fast. But everything is ok. No manoeuvres. Drove from home. I think she got a bit annoyed with me not using my brake and steering around speed bumps. Ok lesson.

Loads of roundabouts- getting more confidant with where we are turning. Need to keep to my lane as i keep going to different lanes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
9th lesson-27th august 2012 2hours

Went on country roads, started off badly and still stalled on this **********. The streets here are so hard. Didn’t have a problem at the left turn into the train road. Had few jerky starts. No stalling at traffic lightes.

Sometimes put in wrong gear and loads of jerkey steering with her having to take the wheel. Too close to the left at times. But managed to do a few approaching junctions in the right way but i always approach too fast and that is my problem at the minute. Also learnt about lanes and how to know which one to go in.

Went on quite fast roads, followed signs to quedgley –managed to do the roundabouts well enough. But im such a bad driver—its gonna take me soo many lessons. Did the first manoeuvre, turn in the road, bennetts other driver doing turn on the road behind us as well. Ok enough but again panic and bring clutch up instead of down.

Did it about 3 times –a few times with her doing the peddles and me doing the steering. Its an ok lesson towards the end. Will be switching to one hour. Drove home.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
10th lesson- 30th august 2012 2 hours

Did bay parking for most lesson. Drove over the kerb while going out of the car park. Used Matalan carpark. Bay parking is ok. Used a few reference points. Clutch control is getting good. Can reverse better.

Stalled once because put it into gear 3. Loads of people pulling out fast. Lots of traffic, went onto quedgley. Drove and did a 3 point turn with a lorry driver waiting. Was ok, could have been better. Still need t control speed and scan the road earlier.

Drove from home and didn’t stall at the end of the road but had her emergency breaking as soon as we pulled out because i bought the clutch too high. Did bay parking a few times, was better than turn in the road. Drove more and practised more roundabouts and mini-roundabouts.

Good lesson even though nearly went over the kerb twice. Only one stall when put it in 3rd instead.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
11th lesson-3rd September 1 hour

WHAT A BRILLAINT LESSON. Did general driving and I am slowing down most of the time at junctions and roundabouts. Did some country roads with really tight junctions but I changed gears and did the steering good.

Went to Matalan car park again and did a perfect bay park. I love bay parking! Did loads of roundabouts and didn’t stall except when parked in the bay and i didn’t quite put into neutral. Not counting that as a stall.

Sister was watching out the door and watched me drive. Managed to PULL out from behind parked car brilliantly. All aims for the lesson fulfilled. Still need to control speed and slow down and scan the road more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
How do you find the hour lessons as opposed to 2 hours?
Reply 18
Original post by AlexMaley
How do you find the hour lessons as opposed to 2 hours?

Today was my second 1 hour lesson and tbh it felt fine and not too quick. I felt like I did really well :biggrin: so that might have something to do with it. I was defo not as tired as with 2 hour lesson which was why I switched in the first place :smile:

I think you just get to a stage when you know you have to change down to 1 because 2 hours aren't doing that much. :smile:

Do you have 1 or 2 hour lessons? :smile:
Reply 19
12th lesson-5th September 2012 -1 hour.

Good lesson. Drove and didn’t stall except when again didn’t put it quite into neutral. Nearly crashed into a car when they came around sooo fast but braked to avoid.

Did some busy roundabouts today, need more practise with when to know that it is your gap. She still has to help me. Did a reverse around the corner.

One normal corner and one wide corner. It was ok, need to get observations sorted but apart from that, was nearly about to hit the kerb but didn’t hit it.

1 hour lessons are nicer. Did more junctions, lots of sharp ones, was nearly about to crash into a van parked on my road because it was soooo sharp.

At the end of the lesson, she didn’t say anything about my speed so it was ok today. Just need more practise. Yay

With the time that I stalled properly was turning out on the railway road, had the car in first and tried to pull my seat forward and lifted the foot of the clutch even though i tried not to.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending