The Student Room Group

Where can I buy Microsoft Office cheaply?

You know the disc for Excel, Word, PP etc., where can I buy it for a good price? I prefer the full box rather than the student one, and are they all limited to 3 users? I remember when we bought the 2003 box, the use was unlimited - it still works, but it's now 9 years old, and documents are written by the uni in 2011 word and more modern word, and I was thinking whether it's worth getting an upgrade office box now?

Thanks
Reply 1
I know you can download the university version (which is essentially the full version) through the Microsoft store, and I think that costs around £60 which is quite a reasonable price considering how much it usually costs, (£180 at PC World.) I'm not sure what the limit is on how many systems you can download it to though, you'd have to check up on that. I don't think any versions of Office these days will give you more than 3 licenses. Either way, if you are a student you should be able to get quite a hefty discount on Office - I bought a copy in the Apple store last year and got quite a big percentage off for instance.

What do you want to upgrade for out of interest? If you are just writing word documents and aren't having any compatibility problems it seems like a bit of a pointless cash sink to me, but it's your money I guess :smile: Having a newer version of Office probably won't make a very big difference to you unless there is a specific feature you know is going to be more attuned to your needs in the updated software.
Reply 3
Original post by JamesYoung
You know the disc for Excel, Word, PP etc., where can I buy it for a good price? I prefer the full box rather than the student one, and are they all limited to 3 users? I remember when we bought the 2003 box, the use was unlimited - it still works, but it's now 9 years old, and documents are written by the uni in 2011 word and more modern word, and I was thinking whether it's worth getting an upgrade office box now?

Thanks

You can get it from OpenOffice.org.
Reply 4
Original post by Totoro241
I know you can download the university version (which is essentially the full version) through the Microsoft store, and I think that costs around £60 which is quite a reasonable price considering how much it usually costs, (£180 at PC World.) I'm not sure what the limit is on how many systems you can download it to though, you'd have to check up on that. I don't think any versions of Office these days will give you more than 3 licenses. Either way, if you are a student you should be able to get quite a hefty discount on Office - I bought a copy in the Apple store last year and got quite a big percentage off for instance.

What do you want to upgrade for out of interest? If you are just writing word documents and aren't having any compatibility problems it seems like a bit of a pointless cash sink to me, but it's your money I guess :smile: Having a newer version of Office probably won't make a very big difference to you unless there is a specific feature you know is going to be more attuned to your needs in the updated software.

I think you're right, I'm gonna leave it for a while and use my 2003 one, not much is different and I haven't had problems with files from the newer one. I'll probably get the next one when it comes out in a year or two I think.

As for the poster below, thanks for the link, however it's sold out :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by ANARCHY__
You can get it from OpenOffice.org.

Is it legit...?
Software 4 students was selling it for under £100 do not know if special offer still on but it this was full version at RRP was over £400.

This is Office 2010 though :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
You can actually get it for free from many torrent sites. But I personally do not endorse this as Microsoft will be losing a lot of money. :wink:

Thanks

Can I suggest: http://www.software4students.co.uk
Reply 9
Is it legit...?

Lol Openoffice is not MS Office but a freeware application that does anything MS does but for free and far less bloated.

A good freeware word processor that does docx is abiword, probably good for you as it looks like Word 2003 rather than the confusing 2010 interface.

Thanks

I downloaded the full version 2010 from the piratebay via torrents.
before people give me hate for piracy, I have an extremely empty wallet...
Reply 11
If you want it legally and all, the cheapest way would be to buy the student version buy a disk and spilt it with 3 people, otherwise your stuck since its Microsoft that would be setting prices on their software, not where you buy it from.
Is it legit...?

lol got negged.

yeah, it's completely legitimate. i assume the people who negged me believed i only suggested oo.o because they looked at my username and assumed i'm some anarchist nut who believes all software should be free and blah blah.

Anyway, OpenOffice.org is a freeware version of Microsoft Office. It's mostly functional with the Microsoft Office package suite but it's for free. It's completely legitimate and the interface, I would say, looks pretty close to Office pre-Ribbon so I don't think it's too drastic a change. Besides, it's free! If you don't like it, nothing lost anyway.

Hope that helps.
Reply 13
The only thing you have to be careful with if buying a discounted student one is that it is the full version of Office but it only comes with 2 licenses which are non-transferable. So if you get a new laptop you cannot remove the product key from one and use it on a new one, so once you have used both licenses that's it. If you try to use it on a third laptop then it will not work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending