The Student Room Group

Is anyone else doing languages at the University of Liverpool?

I'm doing French, Spanish and starting Portuguese:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by georgie_boy
I'm doing French, Spanish and starting Portuguese:smile:

I am! I'm doing single honours French :-)
Reply 2
Hi its nice to know someone else. I'm moving into my accommodation at Vine Court on Saturday. All my stuff is packed up in boxes and feeling pretty nervous.
Are you moving away from home or moving into student accommodation as well? I'll look out for you on induction week. My name is George.
Reply 3
Hi its nice to know someone else. I'm moving into my accommodation at Vine Court on Saturday. All my stuff is packed up in boxes and feeling pretty nervous.
Are you moving away from home or moving into student accommodation as well? I'll look out for you on induction week. My name is George.

Hello, I'm Hollie :smile: Yeah, I'm moving into Derby and Rathbone on the Carnatic site on the 16th :smile: You're not the only one feeling nervous, I honestly have no idea what's going to be happening and the likes! Nervous to start the course too, I'm used to being in a ridiculously small class where we're all on very similar levels. Whereabouts are you moving from? :smile:
Reply 4
I think we're in pretty much in the same boat - there were 2 of us in french at my school too. I live in Manchester so not too far away :smile:
What are you hoping to study about French? Do you have any favourite aspects in mind?
Reply 5
I think we're in pretty much in the same boat - there were 2 of us in french at my school too. I live in Manchester so not too far away :smile:
What are you hoping to study about French? Do you have any favourite aspects in mind?

Oh, cool, I'm from near to Blackburn so not far either! :-)
I'm really looking forward to the culture modules, I enjoyed literature at A Level so obviously the literature aspect of the course will be interesting to me, although I haven't picked a French book up since mid-summer.. I do like grammar too, odd as it sounds, so I guess the grammar class will be alright for me. I like translating too, when I can do it :P How about you?
Reply 6
Love the literature element - especially Camus and looking at the differences between our culture and the French way of life (how laid back it is I suppose!) :smile: What books have you studied for your a level?? I read Troyat's Aliocha and Les Justes by Camus which really made me want to take it to degree level. Got to work on grammar and translation though so I'll look out for in lectures haha :smile:
Reply 7
Love the literature element - especially Camus and looking at the differences between our culture and the French way of life (how laid back it is I suppose!) :smile: What books have you studied for your a level?? I read Troyat's Aliocha and Les Justes by Camus which really made me want to take it to degree level. Got to work on grammar and translation though so I'll look out for in lectures haha :smile:

I only did one book properly for A Level and that was, predictably, 'L'Etranger' by Albert Camus, but I've also read 'La Chute' by Camus as well, 'GiGi' by Colette and a couple of the Harry Potter's translated :tongue: I also ordered 'Thérèse Raquin' the day before yesterday to ease myself back into reading. I'm very excited to get to Liverpool now!
Reply 8
Me too! I can't wait to make new friends and get started. Nervous about starting a completely new language. I bought a CD 'learn Portuguese' which is hilarious as I am learning how to order food, find the nearest railway station and introduce myself.
I have a huge new adventure ahead as Portuguese is so different from Spanish but I find the more glasses of wine I drink the better I sound. LOL
Reply 9
Hollie I've moved into Vine court. Fantastic room. 3 minutes walk to Cypress Building so no excuse for being late to lectures. Going to go home for a few days as not many people around yet.
Can't wait for freshers week and to meet new friends. Going to the pub quiz night at the AJ but might be a small team if only 4 or 5 turn up. Talk soon George
Reply 10
Hello! I'm so excited to move in on the 16th, are you talking about the pub quizzes on the tuesdays? I think I'm going to see if I can persuade a friend/flatmates to do that, so maybe I'll see you there! I'm really excited for the classes to start as well, being able to focus just on french will be wonderful. :smile:
Reply 11
We've found our local pub which is the AJ and there's a small group of us currently there but more are starting to arrive. Everyone is really nice and excited for freshers. Met someone doing Hispanic studies. Registered for modules through Spider today.
Reply 12
We've found our local pub which is the AJ and there's a small group of us currently there but more are starting to arrive. Everyone is really nice and excited for freshers. Met someone doing Hispanic studies. Registered for modules through Spider today.

Oh right, getcha! Dunno where I'm going to go locally in terms of pubs as I'm off campus but I'm sure there'll be somewhere nice enough :-) The spider malarky has confused me, do I have to register for my subsidary modules now or do I wait until I get to uni?
Reply 13
I've tried to register but it's been a bit of an awkward process so think I might leave it until freshers. You can register now if you like though. If you have any problems with it just let me know :-)
Reply 14
I've tried to register but it's been a bit of an awkward process so think I might leave it until freshers. You can register now if you like though. If you have any problems with it just let me know :-)

I think I'll just leave it and talk to a tutor about it when I get there :-) Do you have to do that linguistics module? I didn't even know I had to do it on my course, bit of a bummer! Just got to upload my passport photo for my ID and I'm all registered! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hollie I've signed up for French and Spanish language and French and Spanish studies. There are more modules that have been uploaded recently so it's a good selection. I've switched between Italian and Portuguese and finally decided to stick with Portuguese :smile: Looking forward to Saturday and freshers week!
Reply 16
Hollie I've signed up for French and Spanish language and French and Spanish studies. There are more modules that have been uploaded recently so it's a good selection. I've switched between Italian and Portuguese and finally decided to stick with Portuguese :smile: Looking forward to Saturday and freshers week!

Hello :smile: I've got all of my stuff packed up now and ready to move in on Sunday! Can't believe it's almost here, finally! I'm contemplating an Italian module but not quite sure yet. Freshers will be exciting! Can't wait to get to Liverpool!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending