The Student Room Group

Greggs interview tips

I have a interview for gregss on saturday and I REALLY WANT this job! I done some research and I think they will ask me questions on friendliness, hygeine, ect
Anybody who works in greggs or have had an interview can remember what they asked? Also what questions should I ask? Any advice will be appreciated, Thankyou :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At my interview they asked me about the values and what they mean to me, why I want to work there.

The job involves serving customers, cleaning, stocking the crisps/drink, making sandwiches ad hot drinks, so make sure you know that.

They also asked some scenario questions - just remember the customer's well being and happiness is your first priority.
Reply 2
Scenario questions, there are quite a few of them. Just make sure as said before, the customer is satisfied.
Definately scenarios, so always be aware that you need to show a sensitvity to customers, put them first. They may ask you things like-
- What can you bring to this job?
- Are you able to work well in a team?
- Why do you want to work here?
- Do you have good people skills?
Nothing majorly difficult. Just stay casual and friendly, and SMILE. Be yourself, don't be too uptight, but don't be slobby either. They're looking to hire someone who is able to interact with people well, who is friendly and approachable.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Greggs interviews are aimed at making sure the staff really want to help the customer? From going there you could have fooled me...
Reply 5
Original post by Norton1
Greggs interviews are aimed at making sure the staff really want to help the customer? From going there you could have fooled me...

Well it's just the conventional silly questions.

Why do you want to work here? Money.
Can you work in a team? I can but I don't want to.
Do you enjoy serving the general public. No, most of them are *****.

Those are the real answers, and after you get the job it doesn't really matter unless you are doing something majorly wrong.
Reply 6
Thanks everyonE
Reply 7
I got the job!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by DeannaMay

Hello can u please tell me like what we have to answer for these quests
Please insert your reasons for wanting to work for Greggs*
What are your future aims / goals / career aspirations?
thanks...
Reply 9
Original post by DeannaMay

Congrats! :smile: I got a greggs interview next week, help me out with a few questions they've asked you, I have very little knowledge about interviews and greggs as a company. Luckily I've got a week to prepare. Thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Please will someone tell me the sort of question I will be asked in my interview at greggs tomorrow. I am very nervous as this is my first job interview. Please help as I really want to get this job.
Reply 11
Original post by krystalolivia
Please will someone tell me the sort of question I will be asked in my interview at greggs tomorrow. I am very nervous as this is my first job interview. Please help as I really want to get this job.

They ask you about the job (so have an idea of what you'd be doing there), something about one of the values (learn these and try to incorporate them into your answer as often as possible) and scenarios, for example what would you do if a customer asked for cheese and onion as they are vegetarian and came back and complained because you'd given them chicken instead.

Just use your common sense, remember the golden rule (customer is always right) and drop the values in like there's no tomorrow.

Good luck and let us know if you get the job :smile:
Reply 12
A bit off topic, but did I read correctly when I went past my old shop today that Greggs have started selling Corned Beef Pasties in Scotland?! Long overdue if they have and meh if they haven't...

conway!
x

Thought you'd maybe be the best person to answer this? :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by NathanM
A bit off topic, but did I read correctly when I went past my old shop today that Greggs have started selling Corned Beef Pasties in Scotland?! Long overdue if they have and meh if they haven't...

Thought you'd maybe be the best person to answer this? :tongue:

I've left now! It was about time, I was in a pub 10 miles away from the shop and I got recognised as 'that bird from the jakey greggs shop'. Not a nickname I wanted to stick.
Anyhoo, are they the same thing as Cornish pasties? I think they always had them in a few shops but I wouldn't imagine they're putting them in all, nobody ever asked for them, and they did try before. I haven't actually been in a Greggs since I left a month ago though :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by conway!
I've left now! It was about time, I was in a pub 10 miles away from the shop and I got recognised as 'that bird from the jakey greggs shop'. Not a nickname I wanted to stick.

Aww...why not?! :tongue: I can see why that might have pushed you to leave!

Anyhoo, are they the same thing as Cornish pasties? I think they always had them in a few shops but I wouldn't imagine they're putting them in all, nobody ever asked for them, and they did try before. I haven't actually been in a Greggs since I left a month ago though :smile:

No, they're made with corned beef (Cornish is just normal beef)...they're quite big in English shops and we used to have people ask for them ALL THE TIME! Cornish were never a great seller in the 3 shops I had, either. I've been in once since I left in May...do you miss it?
Reply 15
Original post by NathanM
Aww...why not?! :tongue: I can see why that might have pushed you to leave!

No, they're made with corned beef (Cornish is just normal beef)...they're quite big in English shops and we used to have people ask for them ALL THE TIME! Cornish were never a great seller in the 3 shops I had, either. I've been in once since I left in May...do you miss it?

I've never even heard of it :s-smilie: Glasgow must be pretty different. They sold weird stuff that were never popular though...we seemed to have a whole blue plastic of spicy ones every two days, yet I've never sold more than two in an eight hour shift. Plus the hot sandwiches, I'd just make them, put them out, then an hour later they'd all be in the bin, I don't know why they kept ordering them.
I miss some bits of it, like the people I worked with were all lovely. However just before I left we got an AWFUL health and safety report, and the managers were in constantly horrendous moods for the last fortnight, so I'm glad I missed out on more of that. Do you miss it :tongue:?
Reply 16
We've just got corned beefs! I've never heard anyone ask for them before, they're not overly popular now either. Strange things, they don't appeal to me at all.
Reply 17
Original post by conway!
I've never even heard of it :s-smilie: Glasgow must be pretty different. They sold weird stuff that were never popular though...we seemed to have a whole blue plastic of spicy ones every two days, yet I've never sold more than two in an eight hour shift. Plus the hot sandwiches, I'd just make them, put them out, then an hour later they'd all be in the bin, I don't know why they kept ordering them.
I miss some bits of it, like the people I worked with were all lovely. However just before I left we got an AWFUL health and safety report, and the managers were in constantly horrendous moods for the last fortnight, so I'm glad I missed out on more of that. Do you miss it :tongue:?

We sold loads of spicy ones! Funny how different stuff sells in different cities...I have to agree with you with the hot sandwiches, though. All that time preparing them to put at least 80% in the bin. How can you get an awful H&S report? Were your managers keeping petrol and matches in the office or something?!

I'd like to say I miss it...but in all honesty I've barely given it a second thought. I love my new/old job (I returned to my previous company...the grass really isn't greener!) I can't believe I left it in the first place.

Henwin
x

I'm more intrigued than anything...I'm not a massive fan of corned beef on its own, but I do like corned beef hash, so if its got potatoes in it I'm sure to like it :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by NathanM
How can you get an awful H&S report? Were your managers keeping petrol and matches in the office or something?!

Where do I begin!

- often couldn't go to the toilet in a 10 hour shift because due to lack of space, the doorway was piled high with rubbish bags
- shelves were stacked too high and there was an occasional avalanche of boxes raining on your head if you weren't careful enough
- space between the counters and ovens were so narrow I have permanent scars from burns on my arms, when people have bumped into the back of me and hit my arm into the tray
- lazy colleague used to leave the burning oven trays of savouries on top of the cold display trays if he was in a rush, rather than transferring the food. he only did it occasionally so I was never expecting it, but ruined my elbow more than once by reaching for something near the back and touching it accidentally

Sorry for the rant, I was just always annoyed that my training shop was massive and well-run, whereas the shop I then moved to...
Reply 19
Original post by conway!
Where do I begin!

- often couldn't go to the toilet in a 10 hour shift because due to lack of space, the doorway was piled high with rubbish bags
- shelves were stacked too high and there was an occasional avalanche of boxes raining on your head if you weren't careful enough
- space between the counters and ovens were so narrow I have permanent scars from burns on my arms, when people have bumped into the back of me and hit my arm into the tray
- lazy colleague used to leave the burning oven trays of savouries on top of the cold display trays if he was in a rush, rather than transferring the food. he only did it occasionally so I was never expecting it, but ruined my elbow more than once by reaching for something near the back and touching it accidentally

Sorry for the rant, I was just always annoyed that my training shop was massive and well-run, whereas the shop I then moved to...

I feel your pain with the tumbling boxes (mine have only ever been crisps, I'd be dead if it was drinks) but I think the burns are just a hazard of the job :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest