The Student Room Group

Want To Study MEDICINE In The US?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi,

I'm planning on doing Biomed in UCL for undergraduate course and then apply to the US for Medicine. Any chance on that?

Thanks.
I'm hoping to apply for a transfer to a US medical school into the clinical phase but I've been told I need to do USMLE step 1 first.

Also some colleges want modules/credits from American or Canadian medical schools if transferring but I did my studies here in the UK. Would having an educational services agency like WES to assess my qualifications help to satisfy this criteria? I believe they can assess your transcripts and compile a report to the universities on their equivalence to US/Canadian grades....right? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 102
Hi guys,
I just wondering something that I have already graduated in bachelor's degree of computer-science. Do i have a chance to go to med school in US?

Thank you.
Original post by ipooklook
Hi guys,
I just wondering something that I have already graduated in bachelor's degree of computer-science. Do i have a chance to go to med school in US?

Thank you.

Where did you study the UK or US or Canada (or elsewhere)? If you want to enter at Year 1 you need to usually have completed 2 years of a bachelor's programme covering some element of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Life-Sciences and Mathematics. Also some US medical schools will only consider applications from those who have completed study at a recognised US/Canadian university, few will consider from the UK although I think Stanford does but unfortunately for me they don't consider transfers.

If you're in the UK then your chances would be better applying for Graduate-Entry Medicine here as a lot of the courses don't require a specific degree (just a 2:1 classification or US equivalent GPA).
I wanted to know what types of undergraduate degrees are recommended for medical schools in America.
I want to ask if I do something like Biomedical Engineering, whether that degree would be okay for me to apply for any schools in the US.
Also wanting to ask, how difficult is it for someone to gain entry into medical school from outside the US without the US's General Bachelor Degree?
Reply 105
I've had a look elsewhere, but was unable to find an answer, so I hope someone on here can help.
Is it true that work experience and volunteering done in high school is discounted completely when applying for med schools in the US, and only stuff done during undergraduate studies are counted?
Also do US med schools have similar vaccination requirements to UK universities? Just wondering how many I'm going to need as I haven't had any so far.
After reading this whole thread (every comment) I am confused as there is a lot of difference in opinion it seems.
So I will ask this question (I have researched elsewhere) and decide which answers seem most reasonable if that's okay!

I am in my AS year and am planning on medicine. I will most probably do the natural science tripos (3/4 years) in Cambridge after college and then medicine at Oxford as a graduate (I understand that seems ambitious but, nevertheless, it's the plan. I suppose US med schools would only really rank these uni's as highly as their own ones!). I suppose this is similar to the US system in terms of undergrad college and then grad medicine (professional degree).

After doing so, realistically. Can I do a US residency? I understand the procedure however I am interested in how likely it would be with good grades in the pre-entrance exam. The UK system for graduates suck. I would rather do 84 hour weeks for 4 years than 48 hour weeks for 8 years!

Lastly, after completing a residency, how difficult would it be to stay in the US if I enjoy it there and the distance from family isn't too much? If I don't like it it doesn't matter but if I do... can I stay?!

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the
Original post by Occams Chainsaw

I a(I understand that seems ambitious but, nevertheless, it's the plan

Dream big

I suppose US med schools would only really rank these uni's as highly as their own ones!). I suppose this is similar to the US system in terms of undergrad college and then grad medicine (professional degree).

So you gotta do a lot more research..What I would have done: calling different colleges ask them your questions..
I learnt this the hard way..
one thing to keep in mind is that, US medicine is like 4 year undergrad 4 year grad school (actually that's for dentistry but am almost 100% positive it's the same thing for med)

If you thinking doing undergrad in one country going to the other one it can get a bit tricky cuz for example: I have credits for my general biology course (just cuz I did bio A-level) but there are loads random **** that they do in general bio that I have never done ...e.g. in general bio there is a big chunk of stuff about plants..in Bio A-level we only do plant hormones maybe a lil bit on plant biodiversity and that's about it
Just a heads up you know

Last but not least, my advise to you is to either finish your A-level then keep apply for getting into the uni you want
or without even starting an undergrad/medical school in UK go straight to US..start from scratch (by that I mean freshman/sophomore)
Original post by korektphool
No you didn't. You finish school at the end of year 12 (not 13 as in the UK). Then you do an undergraduate degree for 4 years. Then your degree in medicine takes 3-4 years.

So not that long.

Now I'm 18... I'm doing STPM at Malaysia... if I'm interested to do medicine at us mean how??? what i must do?? Is it i can use my stpm result to continue my degree there???
Reply 109
REVIVE!
Original post by korektphool
No you didn't. You finish school at the end of year 12 (not 13 as in the UK). Then you do an undergraduate degree for 4 years. Then your degree in medicine takes 3-4 years.

So not that long.

Yes they finish school in 12th Grade, but my friend who lived in America said that if you're in 12th grade your the same age as UK year 13, because they have two years of kindergarten, then 12 years of school(14 years). And UK has reception then 13 years of school(14 years).
Hello, I am an international student (NOT from US) who have some knowledge on the dentistry part the american school system. Pm me if interested in learning more.
Bringing back this thread a little, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the following.. I'm currently doing AS levels (applying to a UK university in September). I want to study medicine in the UK, but my dream is to work as a Doctor in the USA. How possible is this? Would I be best moving to the USA straight after graduation, or after practising medicine in the UK for a while? Any advice or links to helpful websites would be greatly appreciated, thank you!! :smile:PS: I want to go into the area of Paediatrics, if that would affect anything.
Original post by jazz_xox_
Bringing back this thread a little, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the following.. I'm currently doing AS levels (applying to a UK university in September). I want to study medicine in the UK, but my dream is to work as a Doctor in the USA. How possible is this? Would I be best moving to the USA straight after graduation, or after practising medicine in the UK for a while? Any advice or links to helpful websites would be greatly appreciated, thank you!! :smile:PS: I want to go into the area of Paediatrics, if that would affect anything.

Don't bother.
I feel weird posting in a sticky last posted in 2017, but there is a lot of misinformation ITT. You would need to study for a 4 year degree in the US or study for 2 years in the US after completing your degree in the UK.

If you take the second option, you could have a UK degree in anything, but you would have an advantage if it is in a related field. If you already have a degree in something to do with biology or chemistry, particularly from a top British school, then you would have a good chance, as you would have an advantage in the classes in the US against beginning college students and would have a strong academic background to score high on the MCAT.

It might also be possible to study for an undergraduate degree in Canada, which might be less expensive and similar to the UK system.

Now the published requirements seem minimal, but are not real requirements. The main thing you need is high GPA and high MCAT score. They adjust GPA some based on school and major, but not enough, so it is more difficult to get in from top US schools than average ones.If you decide to do this, you will have to go study in the US with no degree of getting into medical school. The statistic that half of students applying get in is misleading, as many don't apply because they know they don't have the numbers to get in.

It is extremely expensive. For US students that isn't such a big issue. They can get low interest government loans and high interest bank loans betting they will make enough to pay them off. Also, half of US students have a parent who is an MD, and they usually make enough to easily pay the tuition and maybe donations to the medical school they went to. In general, most of the US students probably have parents who can pay the fees.

They need doctors everywhere, and it is much easier if to get into a black medical school or instate admission from a rural area or in a backwards state. Most of the students in those categories had very poor high school educations. As a foreigner you won't be instate anywhere and will need really good academics. If you were a US citizen and did not have the hooks of either money or connections or being from a needed demographic group, you would be in almost the same situation. So basically you need to be very strong academically and have a lot of money, and still you may not get in after doing your US premed classes.

Yes, they do accept US students with other majors who just take the minimum premed classes, but most applicants have taken many advanced biology and chemistry classes. The MCAT does not explicitly cover that advanced material, but you need a really high score on it.

Most students at top US medical schools had extremely high GPAs and MCAT scores and demanding related majors at top schools. However, taking the tough undergraduate program risks not getting in at all if you don't get the grades.

So if you have a really strong related academic background and lots of money, then it may be worth a shot.
It is 3-7 years as an intern, so most people are about 30 when they become a full doctor. Interns get paid though. 7 years is for heart surgery or something like that. Internships in the more desirable specialties general go to students from top medical school or high grades in medical school, but probably money and connections is sometimes involved here like everywhere else.Interns have to work long hours and often the doctors supervising them give them trouble. Many don't finish the internships and become general practioners. Some internships are designed to lead to general practioner positions.

Premed environments can be crazy competitive, cutthroat, etc., particularly at top schools. At ordinary schools, many of the premeds become dentists, vets, "physicians assistants", chiropractors, etc.

Physicians in the US mostly aren't paid salary and can make a lot, particularly in lucrative specialties or fancy practices. Sometimes they can make more by not doing what is best for their patients. It isn't blatantly corrupt like some countries, but shady things go on.

Basically, you need access to about $300K, need to go to the US to study not knowing if you will get in, and need to be able to score really high on the MCAT. You need like 3.8 GPA from a school that is not so good and a 3.4 GPA from the hardest school and program. Therefore it is probably better to go somewhere just OK. If you are going for a hard major like biomedical engineering, it is better if it isn't at a top school.

I wouldn't bother with it unless you have like mostly A*s in related subjects or a strong related degree (in which case you need only two year premed). Technically, if you are a really good student, it doesn't matter what your A-levels or degree or in. You can take the classes you need in the US. However, unless you are a good candidate for Oxbridge or whatever, it probably isn't worth trying something like this.

As a foreigner, it would probably be slightly worse than being from a competitive state like New York or California. As with undergraduate admissions to top US schools, most of the places go to people with "hooks".
Can I ask what universities are most lenient to international students and accept them more than others. Also when should we start applying for undergrad? Is the MCAT required to get into the schools?

So what your trying to say is that North america you don't apply for a specific course you instead you apply for the college and you choose your courses when you get to the college?
Original post by mathplustutornj
It is 3-7 years as an intern, so most people are about 30 when they become a full doctor. Interns get paid though. 7 years is for heart surgery or something like that. Internships in the more desirable specialties general go to students from top medical school or high grades in medical school, but probably money and connections is sometimes involved here like everywhere else.Interns have to work long hours and often the doctors supervising them give them trouble. Many don't finish the internships and become general practioners. Some internships are designed to lead to general practioner positions.

Premed environments can be crazy competitive, cutthroat, etc., particularly at top schools. At ordinary schools, many of the premeds become dentists, vets, "physicians assistants", chiropractors, etc.

Physicians in the US mostly aren't paid salary and can make a lot, particularly in lucrative specialties or fancy practices. Sometimes they can make more by not doing what is best for their patients. It isn't blatantly corrupt like some countries, but shady things go on.

Basically, you need access to about $300K, need to go to the US to study not knowing if you will get in, and need to be able to score really high on the MCAT. You need like 3.8 GPA from a school that is not so good and a 3.4 GPA from the hardest school and program. Therefore it is probably better to go somewhere just OK. If you are going for a hard major like biomedical engineering, it is better if it isn't at a top school.

I wouldn't bother with it unless you have like mostly A*s in related subjects or a strong related degree (in which case you need only two year premed). Technically, if you are a really good student, it doesn't matter what your A-levels or degree or in. You can take the classes you need in the US. However, unless you are a good candidate for Oxbridge or whatever, it probably isn't worth trying something like this.

As a foreigner, it would probably be slightly worse than being from a competitive state like New York or California. As with undergraduate admissions to top US schools, most of the places go to people with "hooks".

I was wondering why some people can finish in two years, do they begin to major straight away or do they compress the four years into the two and a half
You absolutely need to take the MCAT and you need really high scores on it. Admission is mostly on MCAT and undergraduate GPA. GPA is not weighted by school as much as graduate schools in subject weight it, so it is probably better not to go to the best undergraduate school.

You have to study undergraduate for at least 2 years in the US and Canada, so if you already have an undergraduate degree you still need to study 2 years extra. If you are coming out of high school, you need to study for 4 years for the degree, or maybe 3 years in Canada. There are certain classes recommended or required for med school admissions, which may be different from those required by the undergraduate school for the major. These are fairly basic classes, and most premeds take much more advanced relevant classes, or maybe you refer to those as modules.

In most cases you apply in general to the university. At some places there are schools of engineering, business etc., which are generally harder to get into.

Not sure if any are easier for internationals. Instate admission at state medical schools is easier, particularly for a backward state or from a rural area. It is relatively easy to get into black medical schools if you are black. Otherwise the admission difficulty is similar, except for some prestigious medical schools where it is much harder. Half of med students have parents who are physicians. It is likely most of those and some others got in through donations. So there aren't that many places just on merit to start with. You are probably in a little worse shape than a someone in the US without hooks.

For a US citizen, there are ways of dealing with the high tuition. As I mentioned, there are low interest government loans and high interest private loans. A US citizen can usually also join the military and get a year paid tuition and a stipend for every year in the military. That gives you an idea how much physicians in the US make. They don't care what background you are from like in the UK, and obviously take the poorer doctors. So anyway, you probably need reasonably well off parent or whatever to finance it, as those options aren't available to you.
hey, I have a question, does anyone know if it's possible to apply to US medical school after completing an undergrad in Canada? does the system in Canada work the same as in the US that you choose your classes (and so you can choose all the ones that are required for US unis)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending