The Student Room Group

Can I apply to study PPE without a social science A-Level?

Hi, I applied to do medicine this year without really wanting to do it at all - big mistake.

I'm currently doing my A2s but I've basically scrapped my current UCAS application to do medicine and after genuinely thinking about it, I would really like to do a course like PPE.

However, my A-Levels don't contain any social sciences; I know PPE doesn't require you to do certain subjects (except Maths) but I've heard that doing something like History at A-Level is helpful?

Objective stuff:

9/10 A*s at GCSE
4 A's at AS in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature
A* in Maths already obtained, continuing with all subjects at A2

Would I be at a disadvantage if I did apply for PPE and was competing with people who do history/economics etc.?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Do you need to have done relevant work experience?
(edited 11 years ago)
well you have an essay subject at least in english lit, so I think you're fine
Original post by Newbie123
Hi, I applied to do medicine this year without really wanting to do it at all - big mistake.

I'm currently doing my A2s but I've basically scrapped my current UCAS application to do medicine and after genuinely thinking about it, I would really like to do a course like PPE.

However, my A-Levels don't contain any social sciences; I know PPE doesn't require you to do certain subjects (except Maths) but I've heard that doing something like History at A-Level is helpful?

Objective stuff:

9/10 A*s at GCSE
4 A's at AS in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature
A* in Maths already obtained, continuing with all subjects at A2

Would I be at a disadvantage if I did apply for PPE and was competing with people who do history/economics etc.?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Do you need to have done relevant work experience?

You don't need any work experience but you'll need to have done some reading around the subjects so you can write which topics you're particularly interested in, etc in your personal statement. There are probably some PPE personal statements in the PS section of TSR.

Maths, English Lit and a science should be a fine combination (assuming you have English Lit to A2). Maths is the key subject and so if you get AAA+ you'll have shown that you're capable of doing the maths side and the essay-writing side. Lots of universities like applicants to have science A-levels for economics anyway.

Many schools don't even offer politics, philosophy or economics at A-Level so you can't be disadvantaged by not having those A-Levels, and I doubt that History would be preferable to English as they're both traditional, respected essay subjects.

Just make sure you explain really clearly in your PS why you're interested in the PPE subjects and want to study them in combination (so you don't look like a medicine reject who thinks PPE is the next best respected course so has applied for that without really loving the subjects). Definitely take the time to read some books over the summer and if you live near a university, consider attending a couple of public lectures there too.

(Durham - http://www.dur.ac.uk/ppe/entry-reqs/ - Maths A Level (grade A) and "the selectors prefer to see a range of A-Level subjects that include an arts or humanities subject, in addition to science subjects"

Warwick just says GCSE Maths grade A;

Oxford - http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/philosophy_politics_and_economics/philosophy_politic_1.html - "You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school; it is not necessary to have studied politics, philosophy or economics.

Although a background in Mathematics is not formally required for admission, PPE applicants should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the course."

Manchester - http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2013/atoz/course/?code=00154 -
"AAB - Two A/S Levels of equivalent grade accepted in place of one A Level.
Applicants must be studying at least one of the following A Level subjects: Accounting; Economics; Finance; Business Studies; Development Studies; Government and Politics; Economic and Social History; Mathematics; Anthropology; Sociology; Philosophy; Religious Studies; English Language; English Literature; Geography; Psychology; Classical Civilisation; History; Archaeology; Communication Studies; Environmental Studies; World Development; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Modern Languages.")
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Same as internet tough guy I started economics without having ever done economics before and I'm doing well.

Without English Lit I'd have said it'd be very hard but the ability to write essays is a large part of a PPE course so go for it.

Somewhere in the economics forum is quite a good reading list of popular economics books you may want to have a read through a few before you start, any extra knowledge is always helpful.
Reply 4

You are just like me! I've completely changed my mind and I don't think I want to do medicine any more. I did Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths too! Such an unusual combination.

Have you applied for PPE now? How were your results?
Reply 5
Original post by bmpink94
You are just like me! I've completely changed my mind and I don't think I want to do medicine any more. I did Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths too! Such an unusual combination.

Have you applied for PPE now? How were your results?

Lol hi there, I got A*s in Maths, Bio & Chem and an A in Eng Lit (A* in exam but my teacher hated my coursework so I got a low B in that, can't be remarked -_-)

I'm currently just finishing off my PS, and yourself?
Reply 6
Lol hi there, I got A*s in Maths, Bio & Chem and an A in Eng Lit (A* in exam but my teacher hated my coursework so I got a low B in that, can't be remarked -_-)

I'm currently just finishing off my PS, and yourself?

Wow well done! I'm working away on the PS too. Been reading around the subject. What have you been reading? Where are you applying besides Oxford? and when are you appling?

Also have you managed to find any useful PSs? I've found some online that sounded like they'd been written by politicians, but the people sounded over-confident and stuck up in my opinion hahaha. I'm a bit worried about applying at the moment as I only have maths to AS level and my friend who got an interview for PPE last year with no maths As at all said the maths was really hard. Although apparrently people manage to get places without even A* maths GCSE!

Also I'm in exactly the same position with English lolll. My teacher did the exact same thing. I was so close!! Loll we are twins.

Also what made you change your mind about medicine? I had a premature mid-life crisis and realised I didn't want to make such a huge commitment to my life!
it doesn't really matter that u haven't got history, u don't even need english lit or an essay writing subject tbh, you can show them u can write an essay in the TSA, that's why history is only useful.
Reply 8
Original post by bmpink94
Wow well done! I'm working away on the PS too. Been reading around the subject. What have you been reading? Where are you applying besides Oxford? and when are you appling?

Also have you managed to find any useful PSs? I've found some online that sounded like they'd been written by politicians, but the people sounded over-confident and stuck up in my opinion hahaha. I'm a bit worried about applying at the moment as I only have maths to AS level and my friend who got an interview for PPE last year with no maths As at all said the maths was really hard. Although apparrently people manage to get places without even A* maths GCSE!

Also I'm in exactly the same position with English lolll. My teacher did the exact same thing. I was so close!! Loll we are twins.

Also what made you change your mind about medicine? I had a premature mid-life crisis and realised I didn't want to make such a huge commitment to my life!

Ah mah gadd we're the same!!!

But seriously, we're v. similar, yeah I was the same as you, I just don't think I had the same "love" for Medicine that the other people applying had, because you're basically applying for a career, not a course. So I had like a quarter-life crisis and just decided to go with something completely different.

I only read like 1 book, because apparently quality's better than quantity? I think I'm applying Oxford, Warwick and then like LSE & UCL for non-PPE social science courses and then one more that I haven't decided on yet. You?

Loool I know what you mean about people on PS's sounding cocky but there were some good ones I liked on TSR, try this link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:colone:conomics_Personal_Statements
Reply 9

But seriously, we're v. similar, yeah I was the same as you, I just don't think I had the same "love" for Medicine that the other people applying had, because you're basically applying for a career, not a course. So I had like a quarter-life crisis and just decided to go with something completely different.

I only read like 1 book, because apparently quality's better than quantity? I think I'm applying Oxford, Warwick and then like LSE & UCL for non-PPE social science courses and then one more that I haven't decided on yet. You?

Loool I know what you mean about people on PS's sounding cocky but there were some good ones I liked on TSR, try this link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:colone:conomics_Personal_Statements

Hahaha. Well better to have the change of mind now and not when you've started your medicine degree!

I've got 3 books I think but they're mainly philosophy(that's what i'm most interested in) but i'm worried about the economics part because even though I've got a good understanding of the subject, the maths worries me. And I only got a B in AS maths.. I did get 93% in C1 and 78% in Stats, but I averaged 79% because I got a C in C2 so it brought all my marks down :frown:

I'm probably going to apply to Oxford(PPE), Durham(Philosophy & Politics) and then maybe international relations at others? I'm not sure yet. Possibly LSE, but I don't really want to live in London. Too expensive!

I've read some of those, some are really good! But some just make me feel light-headed and confused.

Hi, im in the exact same position as you lol could i Ask for some advice?

Quick Reply

Latest