The Student Room Group

What's the difference between a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and the compound water

My science homework is to find out the difference between a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and the compound water. I then have to explain in terms of how the particles are arranged. I should include key words, such as: atoms, elements, compounds, bond and separate. Thanks!:smile:
I'm not giving you the answer. I'm not that nice.

But, you may get bonus points if you can squeeze the terms 'homogenous' and 'hetrogenous'. Just sayin'.
Reply 2
So you thought you'd get someone that has already past their GCSEs to do it for you, clever.

edit: I don't understand why people are so against this statement at least tell me why.
(edited 11 years ago)
hydrogen is made of H+ ions
oxygen is made of O2- ions
but h2O is made of H+ ions and OH- ions
(edited 11 years ago)
If you can't have at least an initial go at answering that question then I would assume you've paid absolutely no attention in class.
Reply 5
under normal conditions exists as a H2 molecule which is two hydrogen atoms bonded together. under normal conditions Oxygen exists as O2 which is two oxygen atom bonded together. These are completely separate from each other. A water Molecule is a compound made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bonded together.

Pretty simple explanation I assume is fine for GCSE level and uses all your key words. You should probably pay me.
Reply 6
In a water/hydrogen mixture, all the water and hydrogen atoms have unprotected, pre-marital sex with each other. God is very angry.
Reply 7
Original post by boba
under normal conditions exists as a H2 molecule which is two hydrogen atoms bonded together. under normal conditions Oxygen exists as O2 which is two oxygen atom bonded together. These are completely separate from each other. A water Molecule is a compound made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bonded together.

Pretty simple explanation I assume is fine for GCSE level and uses all your key words. You should probably pay me.

Am I the only one that thinks that could ruin his education.
Original post by rcummins1
In a water/hydrogen mixture, all the water and hydrogen atoms have unprotected, pre-marital sex with each other. God is very angry.

Yet pure water is considered homogenous. I hear he's not keen on that either.

Goes to show you never can win with religion...
Reply 9
Original post by tamil4
hydrogen is made of H+ ions
oxygen is made of O2- ions
but h2O is made of H+ ions and OH- ions

Water in not ionic. It is made from hydrogen and oxygen atoms, not ions.
Get 2 1 litre bottles. In one, fill with a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. In another, fill with tap water. Put a lit splint in both. You will definitely find out the difference.

P.S. Don't actually do this. It will explode.
Original post by boba

thank you very much, much appreciated and i will elaborate on this!!
Original post by Paradoct
Water in not ionic. It is made from hydrogen and oxygen atoms, not ions.

thank you very much!!
Reply 13
Original post by Dennerers
Am I the only one that thinks that could ruin his education.

thats not my responsibility :wink:
Original post by boba
thats not my responsibility :wink:

So your just in it for the money :eek:
Well, i will make sure this child get the education he needs to become a successful, something, in a given profession.
Reply 15
Original post by Dennerers
So your just in it for the money :eek:
Well, i will make sure this child get the education he needs to become a successful, something, in a given profession.

well you are a far better person than me. I salute you
Dennerers, it's a she , not a he.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by R2497
Dennerres, it's a she , not a he.

And how as i to know?
you mean *was :L

Quick Reply

Latest