The Student Room Group

Optician phobia

Hi
I have received letters every 6 months for a reminder for an eye test. I have ignored these due to anxiety and a have a phobia of reading the letters off the chart. Its like when I went when I was kid and didnt need glasses could read perfectly and now I feel I wont be able to read anything in the lower lines. Its like a loss. I have contacted my opticians trying to explain they said there is a way around it and said they would call me back in half an hour to an hour. They didnt. I contacted them when my parents where out expecting an answer before they returned home. Nope. They havent called me back. I am 21 so parents shouldnt be involved. I was shaking and got palpitations and shortness of breath. What do I do? Its go for appointment shaking etc- symptoms and then the next time I'll end up not going for longer ignoring even more letters or dont go and so avoid these symptoms but feel guilty. Wish I was like my dad and never get called. Does getting laser eye surgery mean I wont have to go for appointments again. I know it involves these tests but my eyes have a chance of getting better rather than getting glasses every two years.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dude, it's the psychological issues here you need to address in the long term, I used to avoid wearing glasses because it was like admitting to an imperfection whenever I did so. Remember that vision is very precious but it's not a terrible loss if it's not as strong as it used to be avoiding going to the optician isn't the best way to ensure your eyes are healthy as they can be throughout your entire life.
Do you currently wear glasses, or are you afraid you may have to wear glasses?
Visiting the opticians shouldn't cause any distress to you.. everyones eyesight deteriorates with age, same as mine! Laser eye surgery does not stop you from having appointments no, as I think it's mandatory for everyone in the UK to have their eyes checked as a lot of issues can be detected through examining the eyes.

If you're worried about glasses on the other hand, opt for contact lenses.. if you can see everyday objects easily though then there's no need to worry about anything!

hope this helps..

This post misused the anon function. Before posting anonymously, please read the H&R guidelines - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ips_Guidelines
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Visiting the opticians shouldn't cause any distress to you.. everyones eyesight deteriorates with age, same as mine! Laser eye surgery does not stop you from having appointments no, as I think it's mandatory for everyone in the UK to have their eyes checked as a lot of issues can be detected through examining the eyes.

It's recommended. It's not mandatory.
You need to get your eyes tested.
You're young, so there won't be any serious issues, but if you drive you may well need glasses by law. You could be a danger to other people.

There's honestly nothing to be afraid of - you're completely in control and if something's making you feel uncomfortable then say so, and any Optom will stop to reassure you.

It's just that your eyesight is one of the most precious things you have and you need to protect is as best you can. Take someone with you if you're nervous, warn them of that ahead of time and get them tested. It's realt important - you can tell so much about someone's health from their eyes.

Please just get them tested.
Reply 6
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
You need to get your eyes tested.
You're young, so there won't be any serious issues, but if you drive you may well need glasses by law. You could be a danger to other people.

There's honestly nothing to be afraid of - you're completely in control and if something's making you feel uncomfortable then say so, and any Optom will stop to reassure you.

It's just that your eyesight is one of the most precious things you have and you need to protect is as best you can. Take someone with you if you're nervous, warn them of that ahead of time and get them tested. It's realt important - you can tell so much about someone's health from their eyes.

Please just get them tested.

In Junior-High and High-school I used to be afraid going to the optician because I knew they are going to make me wear glasses and that my prescription will go up every time I vist them so I visited as less as possible.

I have tried many methods to avoid having to wear glasses... unsuccessfully.

Ironically, now I am an Optomerty student...XD
Reply 7
but if I get laser eye surgery then if my vision improved my left eye really then reading the letters would be clear and so then I wont have the negative view of reading them once I go for an appointment. I have a friend who got it so will ask her.
Reply 8
If you have laser eye surgery you'll probably have to visit the clinic every month for an eye test for the forseeable future, possibly for years if there's a problem. A dislike of eye tests is definitely not a good reason to have laser eye surgery, you'll have several times as many if you have it.

Its worth persisting and getting an eye test though. Most people only need them every couple of years so its worth getting it out of the way. I must admit I don't understand your phobia, as most people can't read the lowest lines on the charts, its about the third one up that you should normally be able to read to. But if its a phobia it is by definition irrational, so if that's the case explain to the opticians that you can't do that particular test and ask them for an alternative. Don't just give up because one company didn't call you back on one occassion.

You could be doing your eyes more damage by persisting with the wrong prescription, or continuing uncorrected when your vision needs correction. I assume you don't wear contacts, but if you wanted to you would have to have your eyes tested regularly or they will stop supplying you with them.
Reply 9
You may not even be suitable for laser surgery.
Just ignore your fears, be strong and take the eye test. After you're done you'll realise it was no big deal.
Besides, if you do need glasses all your doing is straining your eyes, and making them worse.
So its better you get them checked out.
Reply 11
booked my eye test today for Monday afternoon. So hopefully all the stressing was for nothing.
Reply 12
This is crazy. You're willing to let someone laser your eyeballs, but scared of reading an eye chart? Getting laser eye surgery will involve reading eye charts on several occasions, and in addition involves having part of your cornea vaporised with an excimer laser. Needless to say, it's the vaporisation that most people would be nervous about.

Just go and have an eye test. If you can read to the 6/6 line or beyond with both eyes, there's no problem. If you can't, then they'll probably be able to give you glasses or contact lenses, thus improving your vision. It's a win:win situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Slightly nervous but know I have got through the hardest step of having the
courage to make an appointment which I went into the store to do. Kinda excited about getting new glasses kinda fed up with my current ones. feel I am a stronger and different for the better person now.
That's a very interesting phobia. I would keep calling or try different opticians as they don't need to use that letters test specifically to diagnose any eye deterioration- there are plenty of other methods they can use that are just as effective. You can also go in to ask or get a friend to go in and ask for you? :smile: you don't actually need to go every 6 months either.. I go whenever I feel like it. It's 30 quid a go!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Original post by play_fetch
That's a very interesting phobia. I would keep calling or try different opticians as they don't need to use that letters test specifically to diagnose any eye deterioration- there are plenty of other methods they can use that are just as effective. You can also go in to ask or get a friend to go in and ask for you? :smile: you don't actually need to go every 6 months either.. I go whenever I feel like it. It's 30 quid a go!

Thanks for your help. Really scared. Will feel so relieved this time tomorrow that it will be over for another two years.

Original post by Anonymous
Slightly nervous but know I have got through the hardest step of having the
courage to make an appointment which I went into the store to do. Kinda excited about getting new glasses kinda fed up with my current ones. feel I am a stronger and different for the better person now.

You don't need to go for the appointment, though if you feel you need glasses then you should go or you may experience other symptoms like headaches or eye strain. You will also need glasses if you intend to learn to drive - that's a legal requirement. Well done for booking the appointment. You will be fine - remember they aren't going to hurt you, you can easily walk out at any point if you feel uncomfortable, you are 100% in control. Good luck.
Reply 17
So glad thats over. Was the longest 20 minutes of my life so far. He used pictures instead. Seems unhead of though - a phobia to the letter charts but then again there are many phobias about. mine could just be an undiscovered one.
I think it's a good idea to get your eyes checked regularly so you'll know if there's been any change in your vision & get the right prescription. I put off getting my eyes tested for ages & let my sight get worse. I hate having to wear glasses all the time & really wish I'd got my eyes seen to earlier as I'm sure I could have avoided my sight deteriorating so much.
Reply 19
I always feel pressurised by them to buy the more expensive glasses.

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest