The Student Room Group

Question about IELTS (UCAS)

Dear all, I am an international student applying for UCAS 2013. I aim for Law at Oxford, and I know the University adhere very stringently to certain requirement of IELTS.I would like to ask if I must submit IELTS result in line with my application by 15th October (Deadline for Oxford) ? Regarding IELTS, I am planning to take it as soon as possible...shall I just leave the IELTS colomn blank currently? Will it adversely affect my application? Is it a common practise that student applyng for Oxbridge to leave it blank?Thank you very much for your help!:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by franceslss
Dear all, I am an international student applying for UCAS 2013. I aim for Law at Oxford, and I know the University adhere very stringently to certain requirement of IELTS.I would like to ask if I must submit IELTS result in line with my application by 15th October (Deadline for Oxford) ? Or that I can take IELTS later, if I have been granted any conditional offer? :smile:I have attained A*(95%) Second Language in IGCSE Cambridge English but not very outstanding results in other subjects(I took the exams in June 2011 ), shall I include my IGCSE result with my application regarding English qualification (as a bonus) ? Regarding IELTS, I am planning to take it as soon as possible...shall I just leave the IELTS colomn blank currently? Will it adversely affect my application? Is it a common practise that student applyng for Oxbridge to leave it blank?Thank you very much for your help!:smile:

If you don't have IELTS now, it'll be a part of the conditional offer. Leave the column blank for now but let UCAS or Oxford know as soon as you have the results. It will not affect your application in any way as far as I know. Have you got another qualification that is equivalent to IGCSE? If not, I'd suggest you to include your results but that's entirely up to you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by Ber
If you don't have IELTS now, it'll be a part of the conditional offer. Leave the column blank for now but let UCAS or Oxford know as soon as you have the results. It will not affect your application in any way as far as I know. Have you got another qualification that is equivalent to IGCSE? If not, I'd suggest you to include your results but that's entirely up to you.

Thank you very much :smile: This helps a lot!

Hmm actually my case is really complicated. I am a student from Hong Kong under the education curriculum that somehow I am not able to gain any other qualification that is equivalent to IGCSE. So i guess I will just leave the column blank since i havent taken IELTS yet :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you very much :smile: This helps a lot!

Hmm actually my case is really complicated. I am a student from Hong Kong under the education curriculum that somehow I am not able to gain any other qualification that is equivalent to IGCSE. So i guess I will just leave the column blank since i havent taken IELTS yet :smile:

Hey I'm from Hong Kong too! I'll be going to Bristol to do medicine in 2 weeks time! Good luck with Oxford and ... DSE? :smile:

Reply 4
Woah hey mate:biggrin: Nice to meet you here! :smile: Yeah I am going to take DSE very soon (:-S) ...wanting to take Law! :wink:
Wow congratulations for your entry! Bristol is certainly an internationally reowned university! I wish you every success! :tongue:

Ahahh going back to IELTS, did you actually take it before 15th Oct or after that? I havnt taken IELTS because there are always some clashes school stuffs. I dont think it's smart to take it now and get sidetracked...:confused:

But I feel it weird to leave the TRF column blank...though people say it's alright since IELTS will become part of the conditional offer anyways :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Woah hey mate:biggrin: Nice to meet you here! :smile: Yeah I am going to take DSE very soon (:-S) ...wanting to take Law! :wink:
Wow congratulations for your entry! Bristol is certainly an internationally reowned university! I wish you every success! :tongue:

Ahahh going back to IELTS, did you actually take it before 15th Oct or after that? I havnt taken IELTS because there are always some clashes with SBA and stuffs like that...especially when life's packed with quizzes and mock exams I dont think it's smart to take it now and get sidetracked...:confused:

But I feel it weird to leave the TRF column blank...though people say it's alright since IELTS will become part of the conditional offer anyways :smile:

Hey thanks! I actually took IELTS in June last year before applying to UCAS but a lot of my mates didn't quite meet their offers and resat it for a few times so it won't actually affect your chances in any way if you take it after you've received your conditional offer. Best of luck with everything! What are your other choices for UCAS btw out of curiosity? :tongue:

Reply 6
Original post by Ber
Hey thanks! I actually took IELTS in June last year before applying to UCAS but a lot of my mates didn't quite meet their offers and resat it for a few times so it won't actually affect your chances in any way if you take it after you've received your conditional offer. Best of luck with everything! What are your other choices for UCAS btw out of curiosity? :tongue:

Ahahh going back to IELTS, did you actually take it before 15th Oct or after that? I havnt taken IELTS because there are always some clashes with SBA and stuffs like that...especially when life's packed with quizzes and mock exams I dont think it's smart to take it now and get sidetracked...:confused:

Hi there, sorry to barge in but i'm also an international applicant from HK, nice to meet you guys!
Reply 7
Original post by S13_2
Hi there, sorry to barge in but i'm also an international applicant from HK, nice to meet you guys!

Nice to meet you too. You're applying for 2013 entry?

Reply 8
Original post by Ber
Nice to meet you too. You're applying for 2013 entry?

Yepp :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Ber

awww that's sweet:smile: Thank you!:biggrin: such a relief for me :smile:

But I am not sure about my choices...I haven't made up my mind! I haven't got written grade predictions from my subject teachers...just verbal ones, so I dont know if I have even met the entry requirements! :tongue:
And yours mind to share? :smile: xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by S13_2

Nice to meet you too!;D :smile:
Haha which subject are you going for?:smile:
All the best for your application :smile:
Reply 11
Nice to meet you too!;D :smile:
Haha which subject are you going for?:smile:
All the best for your application :smile:

I'm applying for Economics :biggrin:
What DSE subjects are you taking atm?
Thank you, you too!

Quick Reply