The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3680
Original post by oxymoronic
Good luck to your son! What is he studying? Has he also looked at the guide to choosing additional subjects in 1st/2nd year if that's applicable to him?
I moved into my accommodation on 8th September 2006.... good times :biggrin:

Hello
He is studying Civil Engineering was conditional on AAB and his grades were AAA in the end.
Not sure if he will/can do additional subjects he is trying to find information out about that now but any links would be appreciated, and filling in more forms :frown: lol which I found out about here on this site such as the matriculation form .

lastly any info on this freshers pass would be appreciated we have found the cost but what does it allow a fresher to do and is it necessary?
ie can some things only be done with the freshers pass?

thanks for the help so far :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by saachi
By email? I got my matriculation form through MyEd, it was in the inbox. Check there?

What did you put for your semester/correspondence address on the matric form??
It shows my home address which obviously isn't right but no idea what to replace it either.
Reply 3682
Original post by Schlegel
What did you put for your semester/correspondence address on the matric form??
It shows my home address which obviously isn't right but no idea what to replace it either.

I just let it be that way, was it supposed to be our semester address? I just remember it saying 'home' address.
A*,AAA,BBBBBB at GCSE

4 A's at AS level

1 A*, 2 A's at A2

Reckon I got a chance for international relations/politics at Edinburgh?
Original post by jdthemagicman
A*,AAA,BBBBBB at GCSE

4 A's at AS level

1 A*, 2 A's at A2

Reckon I got a chance for international relations/politics at Edinburgh?

Your grades are fantastic. You will certainly be given serious consideration. However, it is very important to remember that for Edinburgh, your personal statement matters as much as the grades. I know plenty of people who got straight A's but recieved no offers from Edinburgh. I got B's for my Scottish Highers and got in (for international relations) because of my personal statement.
Reply 3685
Hi! I haven't received my joining pack thanks to the mail resending system being too efficient taking my mail to god-knows-where after a change of my address. Could anyone let me know what's included in that, is there anything important or urgent? Can I find the same information from their web page? What would be the first event I need to attend? I'll be studying Psychology.

I'll give them a call if it's not in my Edinburgh address either because I'm moving there shortly but since it's getting late.. :smile: Thanks!
Original post by 3sixsix
Hi! I haven't received my joining pack thanks to the mail resending system being too efficient taking my mail to god-knows-where after a change of my address. Could anyone let me know what's included in that, is there anything important or urgent? Can I find the same information from their web page? What would be the first event I need to attend? I'll be studying Psychology.

I'll give them a call if it's not in my Edinburgh address either because I'm moving there shortly but since it's getting late.. :smile: Thanks!

The joining pack or welcome pack?

Joining: letters on funding & paying fees as well as university card form (I'm sure they could email you a version though)
Welcome pack: a guide to what's on during freshers, survive freshers & societies. Plus some coupons. All are on the freshers website as PDFs & can be picked up during freshers. :smile:

There'll be an intro lecture for you to go to, psychology is on Tues 11th 12:30-1:30 in the George Sq lecture theatre. It's on page 48 of the What's On guide (can be found here -> http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/pageassets/freshers2012/whatson/EUSA-2012-Freshers-Week-Whats-On-Guide.pdf)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3687
Original post by Marina72
Yep. My friend just graduated from there and told me! They'll find any excuse to not let you in. My brother applied to Napier and they said he needed a GCSE grade B in english language not a C, it said nothing about that in any prospectus or anywhere on the website. He didn't get an offer because he was English. Hence why the universities are being taken to court.

That can't be true, I'm at Edinburgh university and have only been here since Saturday but there are SO many English students! If anything there seem to be very few Scots, from what I've encountered they seem to make up just about half of the population.
Reply 3688
Original post by saachi
That can't be true, I'm at Edinburgh university and have only been here since Saturday but there are SO many English students! If anything there seem to be very few Scots, from what I've encountered they seem to make up just about half of the population.

That's because it isn't true. Edinburgh is simply very competitive, and plenty of people get rejected despite having excellent grades. The prospectus lists minimum grades for consideration, not grades that guarantee you entry.

Oh, also, enjoy your time at Edinburgh! This is my first year as a real grown-up and I'm missing it already.
Reply 3689
Original post by NeoNerd
That's because it isn't true. Edinburgh is simply very competitive, and plenty of people get rejected despite having excellent grades. The prospectus lists minimum grades for consideration, not grades that guarantee you entry.

Oh, also, enjoy your time at Edinburgh! This is my first year as a real grown-up and I'm missing it already.

Thanks! Yeah it's a lovely city, freezing cold but beautiful :smile:
Original post by saachi
freezing cold but beautiful :smile:

This isn't cold :cool:
Reply 3691
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
This isn't cold :cool:

Haha it's pretty cold for me :redface: Today was lovely weather though! Just right. The temperature's actually alright, it's just this wind blasting away all time time that makes it feel like the arctic or something.
Original post by saachi
Haha it's pretty cold for me :redface: Today was lovely weather though! Just right. The temperature's actually alright, it's just this wind blasting away all time time that makes it feel like the arctic or something.

Do remember it's only mid September and go and stock up on thermals in Primark before they sell out.
Right ho folks, we're in to week 1 of the semester so I'm going to de-sticky this and sticky the 2013 entry thread :smile:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Right ho folks, we're in to week 1 of the semester so I'm going to de-sticky this and sticky the 2013 entry thread :smile:

Aww, end of an era. And I'm not even going!
hey guys:smile:.. i got 3 A's and 1 B on my As levels. i got A*AB and have an As level B. do i have any chance of receiving an unconditional offer? the course i want to study is accounting and finance
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by yiannisk
hey guys:smile:.. i got 3 A's and 1 B on my As levels. i got A*AB and have an As level B. do i have any chance of receiving an unconditional offer? the course i want to study is accounting and finance

I suggest you post in the 2013 thread - looks like this one's about to fade away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending