The Student Room Group

Film Reviews Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I saw Final D 3 last night! Was disappointing...
Can I be a member now?
I've been hoping you realise I know a thing or two about films with post on this thread and on others.
But.
A review, I suppose you'd like a good one.

Okay so I'll something obscure that only true film people will know about and be able to appreciate.

I pick: Requiem for a Dream

Everybody I know says they have not heard of this film. It is a rare beauty apparently that everyone is neglectful about. I managed to snag the last copy left on the shlef in HMV and I am happy. So very happy as I know I am blessed with an amazingly brilliant film.
Directed by the Darren Aranofsky, the acclaimed director of Pi. It tells the harrowing story of four people who all have deep visions of happiness, and they will apparently do anything to get there.
Sarah Goldfarb (Played by Ellen Burstyn) is an old, lonely widow who now her son has flown the coop has nothing left to hope for, and no reson to live. So she decides to make herself a goal, make herself a dream, a vision of happiness that she can hold onto for salvation. As she tries desperately to get on her favorite TV show, she realises she must diet so she can fit into her red dress and complete her vison her dream, but she decides to take to diet pills, and they control her life and turn her into a paranoid wreck.
Harry Goldfarb (played by Fight Club's very own Jared Leto to great effect) is Sarah's son who has left home and become a drug addict and dealer on the streets. With his girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly) and his best Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) alongside him the three hunt down their vision of bliss, to make enouhg money from drug dealing that they can retire in the sun and live out a happy life.
The build up of success and happiness however only last through the summer, and then as the appropriate americanism would have it, comes FALL. And they fall deep into a gut-wrenching spiral of disaster. They hang onto their dreams so hard they don't realise they head for doom, and as winter comes they realise their fate, but t's too late.
All four end in sadness.
Sarah is sent to the nuthouse.
Harry has his arm amputated due to stubbornly injecting in the same spot to much.
Tyrone ends up in jail for taking his friend to the hospital, and therefore letting the cops and doctors know they are illegal drug shooters.
Marion ends up as a hooker for some black pimp called Big Tim.
And they are left in their agony, their hopes smashed, their visions of happiness gone, and it ultimately shows the price of their hopes, and shows that from then on they can only muster the ill-fated smile for their Requiem for a dream.
It is well performed, and encompasses some of the best directed scenes ever, backed up by a perfect soundtrack and incorporating the most perfect of moods. I suggest if you haven't seen it, watch it, buy it, treasure it. And if you are one of those who like my friends have never heard of it, remember it and please take due care when watching it for the first time, because the first time is the best. It will truely knock you for six...

Rating = 9.5/10

How's that for a review.
Give me your opinions on the film if you wish.
But then please let me be a member. please.
err...you've sold yourself yet again.well done.i'm sure they'll let you in....

I've got 'Ali' on dvd and might watch it in the next few days.
Shylock
err...you've sold yourself yet again.well done.i'm sure they'll let you in....

I've got 'Ali' on dvd and might watch it in the next few days.

I'm starting to like you Shylock, everywhere I turn you've got a nice comment waiting for me.

I hope you enjoy Ali. Michael Mann is as usual competent at the helm, and Will Smith is very good at portraying the man who would fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee...

If you like boxing films however... and you ain't seen it yet, although I bet you have... Watch Raging Bull - It is absolutely brilliant
DeNiro at the pinnacle of his acting.
i'm not a fan of violent sport lol but thanks.
:girl: you're not so bad yourself...you're smart...that's a good thing :wink: later creamyboy
Reply 105
Watched bad boyz 2 for the nth time again today, quality film.....
Reply 106
creamcrackered
Can I be a member now?
I've been hoping you realise I know a thing or two about films with post on this thread and on others.
But.
A review, I suppose you'd like a good one.

Okay so I'll something obscure that only true film people will know about and be able to appreciate.

I pick: Requiem for a Dream

Everybody I know says they have not heard of this film. It is a rare beauty apparently that everyone is neglectful about. I managed to snag the last copy left on the shlef in HMV and I am happy. So very happy as I know I am blessed with an amazingly brilliant film.
Directed by the Darren Aranofsky, the acclaimed director of Pi. It tells the harrowing story of four people who all have deep visions of happiness, and they will apparently do anything to get there.
Sarah Goldfarb (Played by Ellen Burstyn) is an old, lonely widow who now her son has flown the coop has nothing left to hope for, and no reson to live. So she decides to make herself a goal, make herself a dream, a vision of happiness that she can hold onto for salvation. As she tries desperately to get on her favorite TV show, she realises she must diet so she can fit into her red dress and complete her vison her dream, but she decides to take to diet pills, and they control her life and turn her into a paranoid wreck.
Harry Goldfarb (played by Fight Club's very own Jared Leto to great effect) is Sarah's son who has left home and become a drug addict and dealer on the streets. With his girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly) and his best Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) alongside him the three hunt down their vision of bliss, to make enouhg money from drug dealing that they can retire in the sun and live out a happy life.
The build up of success and happiness however only last through the summer, and then as the appropriate americanism would have it, comes FALL. And they fall deep into a gut-wrenching spiral of disaster. They hang onto their dreams so hard they don't realise they head for doom, and as winter comes they realise their fate, but t's too late.
All four end in sadness.
Sarah is sent to the nuthouse.
Harry has his arm amputated due to stubbornly injecting in the same spot to much.
Tyrone ends up in jail for taking his friend to the hospital, and therefore letting the cops and doctors know they are illegal drug shooters.
Marion ends up as a hooker for some black pimp called Big Tim.
And they are left in their agony, their hopes smashed, their visions of happiness gone, and it ultimately shows the price of their hopes, and shows that from then on they can only muster the ill-fated smile for their Requiem for a dream.
It is well performed, and encompasses some of the best directed scenes ever, backed up by a perfect soundtrack and incorporating the most perfect of moods. I suggest if you haven't seen it, watch it, buy it, treasure it. And if you are one of those who like my friends have never heard of it, remember it and please take due care when watching it for the first time, because the first time is the best. It will truely knock you for six...

Rating = 9.5/10

How's that for a review.
Give me your opinions on the film if you wish.
But then please let me be a member. please.

hmm sounds interesting:smile:
Reply 107
sayed_samed
Watched bad boyz 2 for the nth time again today, quality film.....

seen that, it was ok, but didnt leave much of a lasting impression. good distraction though:redface:
Bad boys 2 was alright...I think will smith is such a talented actor..not to mention good-looking. Anyone seen him in Hitch?
yes hitch was fun!!:yy:
vin
hmm sounds interesting:smile:

It really is. Watch it. Get it. Whatever. Make sure you see it at some point. But be advised, please take your first viewing with caution and watch with an open-mind.
hitch = :toofunny: :biggrin:
Can i join?
Reply 113
lil_groovy_dude
hitch = :toofunny: :biggrin:

I never liked that film. I found it rather pointless and slow :redface:
LPK
I never liked that film. I found it rather pointless and slow :redface:

:ditto:

I think he just wanted to look good by being in so many films in one year. You know, looking busy, someone might say they like him.
Personally I always find his acting kinda forced. He often overdoes it, and he doesn't seem to be himself. Unless of course he acts like that in real life. For his sake I hope he doesn't.
Hiya i'm your newest member :biggrin: nice to meet all of you
Princess Jasmine
Hiya i'm your newest member :biggrin: nice to meet all of you

Hi.
As a memeber I'd like to hear a piece of your film critque acumen.
Divulge please.
It can be on any topic you like.
who're you t ask her for a critique? :hmmm:
Shylock
who're you t ask her for a critique? :hmmm:

A member I said that already.
I thought the jist was to give critcal reviews of films. Well that's what LPK intended anyway.
I also wanted to know like, being interested in films. I thought I might be able to get into a discussion, which is good huh? Wouldn't you like to talk about a film? If you don't want her critique in on this maybe instead you would like to say something instead... huh?
I dno't mind saying that sounded somewhat hostile. :hmmm:
i wasn't being hostile...nevermind...sorry...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending