The Student Room Group

Am I disabled "enough"?

Hey,

Just started to find out more about this sort of thing, but I have a question.

I'm dyspraxic, and while I know it's not the worst thing In the world it does affect me and my learning. I have real problems concentrating although I do end up getting the work done to a reasonably high standard. My teachers are aware of it now (In my last year of a Level 3 BTEC in IT) and they are happy with my work quality (hitting Distinction in a few units last year as well as Merit).

I'm planning on doing an IT based degree next year (not sure what yet) but I don't know what I'm entitled to. Am I disabled enough to claim for my disability?
Reply 1
Yes. Claim DSA. Is a grant where you don't pay back. They provide equipment, software & lots of other stuff.
Get the forms from finance office.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Finance office of where?

We're just starting our UCAS applications at college now.
Reply 3
The college you start your course will have a finance department (where you pay your fees or apply for a grant for your course fees)Speak to the reception or your tutor & tell them you have this Disability & you want to apply for a DSA grant.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
I think you misunderstood me.

I'm at college now but I'm inquiring for when I go to university.
Reply 5
You will be able to apply for DSA. When you fill out your UCAS form and student finance forms later on mention your disability and student finance will automatically send a DSA form (if you say yes to hearing more about it) when you apply for student finance! The university will also send you a disability form before you enrol so you can get the ball rolling early and get support straight away. Usually needs to be completed for May time.

You apply for student finance usually in the February time before you start the next September. :smile:

You don't need to worry about it just yet, other than perhaps getting an official dyspraxic diagnositic test from educational psychologist/qualified professional. Speak to your college about this.
Reply 6
Original post by mehrfarbig
You will be able to apply for DSA. When you fill out your UCAS form and student finance forms later on mention your disability and student finance will automatically send a DSA form (if you say yes to hearing more about it) when you apply for student finance! The university will also send you a disability form before you enrol so you can get the ball rolling early and get support straight away. Usually needs to be completed for May time.

You apply for student finance usually in the February time before you start the next September. :smile:

You don't need to worry about it just yet, other than perhaps getting an official dyspraxic diagnositic test from educational psychologist/qualified professional. Speak to your college about this.

Ah, OK, thank you.

My doctor knows I'm dyspraxic - is that enough or do I need to go and get a proper evaluation (again, I've already had one when I was a kid) to satisfy the university?

Also, what am I eligible to receive? It didn't really make it clear - I'm already buying a laptop anyway so if that's all i'm going to get then there's no point in me applying :biggrin:
Original post by sabian92
Ah, OK, thank you.

My doctor knows I'm dyspraxic - is that enough or do I need to go and get a proper evaluation (again, I've already had one when I was a kid) to satisfy the university?

Also, what am I eligible to receive? It didn't really make it clear - I'm already buying a laptop anyway so if that's all i'm going to get then there's no point in me applying :biggrin:

You need a proper evaluation and it has to have been done since you turned 16 so unfortunately the one you got done as a kid won't count... This will be able to tell them the severity ect. Not sure exactly what you will get - completely depends on your situation. You will get asked to go to needs assessment after you have been been approved for funding and there they will chat through with you every aspect of being at uni and what you may find helpful (I had no clue when I went for mine but they suggested things when I said what I struggle with.) I struggle with concentration too and so have a recorder thing to record all lectures so if I switch off I can listen back later. Its definately worth applying even if you don't get anything because I found the jump from college to uni harder than I thought and I am so glad I had the DSA equipment to support me even though at first I didn't think I would need it.

Quick Reply