The Student Room Group

Ask an ABM.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
There is a fast track SNCO scheme for Non-commissioned ASO's who possess the required aptitude. I know this because one of my compatriots on IOT26 took just this route, becoming a very young Flight Sergeant shortly beforehand.
Reply 481
Not posted for an age but thought I’d add to this, although I’ve been out of branch for about 18 months so there may have been some recent changes. There is what could be called a ‘fast track’ route to SNCO, but you have to join as an ASOP and then apply once you’re in, you can’t join it direct from outside. Once you have (I think) two years’ experience as an ASOP you can apply for SNCO (FC) duties, which if successful will see you enrolled on the Weapons Controller course in your current rank alongside the other trainees (usually Officers out of IOT). If you pass the course and gain your Controller qualification, your Sergeant tapes are awarded at the same time. Due to SNCO (FC) having a separate promotion ladder to the rest of the ASOP trade onwards progression does seem to be quicker.
Note that this route is for Weapons Controller only, the Surveillance stream does not have a similar fast track route to SNCO. If you fail the Controller course as an ASOP you revert back to previous duty.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 482
Original post by Spearmint
There is a fast track SNCO scheme for Non-commissioned ASO's who possess the required aptitude. I know this because one of my compatriots on IOT26 took just this route, becoming a very young Flight Sergeant shortly beforehand.

Original post by Pending
Not posted for an age but thought I’d add to this, although I’ve been out of branch for about 18 months so there may have been some recent changes. There is what could be called a ‘fast track’ route to SNCO, but you have to join as an ASOP and then apply once you’re in, you can’t join it direct from outside. Once you have (I think) two years’ experience as an ASOP you can apply for SNCO (FC) duties, which if successful will see you enrolled on the Weapons Controller course in your current rank alongside the other trainees (usually Officers out of IOT). If you pass the course and gain your Controller qualification, your Sergeant tapes are awarded at the same time. Due to SNCO (FC) having a separate promotion ladder to the rest of the ASOP trade onwards progression does seem to be quicker.
Note that this route is for Weapons Controller only, the Surveillance stream does not have a similar fast track route to SNCO. If you fail the Controller course as an ASOP you revert back to previous duty.

Yeah, in this thread sarah_jason admitted to being already in, which makes the rules different.

So, for people in civvy street, no, there's no direct entry SNCO role, if you're already an ASOp, though, then there is a quicker route than just sticking through promotion.
Reply 483
My first post on this forum, so I'd better introduce myself; I have only just begun the process of hopefully becoming an ABM. 2 days ago I took the aptitude selection tests at my local AFCO, and easily met the filter requirements.

I understand I now just sit tight and wait for my recruiter to contact me about a filter interview? In the meantime I am genning up as much as possible about the role, and the RAF.

Could someone give me a list/timeline (or point me in the right direction) of what the selection process will be (with duration) before I've finally made it to qualified ABM?

I'm a little confused at the moment but I am currently under the impression it is:

1) Aptitude test
2) Filter Interview
3) Office and aircrew selection centre - 3 days
4) Initial Officer Training - 6 months
5) SABM - depending on trade 25 - 2 weeks?

Please correct me.

Thanks

Ed
4)
Reply 484
Original post by Ed209
My first post on this forum, so I'd better introduce myself; I have only just begun the process of hopefully becoming an ABM. 2 days ago I took the aptitude selection tests at my local AFCO, and easily met the filter requirements.

I understand I now just sit tight and wait for my recruiter to contact me about a filter interview? In the meantime I am genning up as much as possible about the role, and the RAF.

Could someone give me a list/timeline (or point me in the right direction) of what the selection process will be (with duration) before I've finally made it to qualified ABM?

I'm a little confused at the moment but I am currently under the impression it is:

1) Aptitude test
2) Filter Interview
3) Office and aircrew selection centre - 3 days
4) Initial Officer Training - 6 months
5) SABM - depending on trade 25 - 2 weeks?

Please correct me.

Thanks

Ed
4)

Selection wise, have you been to P2 presentation yet? This comes before filter interview, if you pass filter you then have to go to Cranwell to do the apptitude testing there to see if you have the apptitude for that role. If you score high enough for ABM you then will be invited back to do the OASC selection. After OASC, if you are successful it's then IOT and branch specific training.
IOT is 3 blocks of 10 week training split by a weeks break, they should give you more info later on though and they will ask about that and your ABM training after IOT at the filter interview.
I'm doing an essay on ABM for the RAF reserves. I basically need to do
- What is ABM
- Where did ABM originate
- How does modern ABM compare with ABM in WW2

I've read a lot of conflicting material on this. Could you just go over some key points from each area. I know this probably isn't a question suitable for this thread but if you know anything it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Reply 487
Emma,

Any searches you do will need to look for the old job title of Fighter Controller. ABM is a new term which came into being a few years ago.

The questions are quite broad and you might need to narrow them down a bit!
Reply 488
Try this website - http://www.raffca.org.uk/

Been an excellent resource for myself in applying to become an ABM.
Reply 489
A question to the informed please; after finishing IOT and then going onto the 26 weeks ABM training, what are the options regarding where you live during this training i.e. do you have the choice of renting your own private accommodation, or are you expected to live in the mess?
Original post by Ed209
do you have the choice of renting your own private accommodation,

Nope

Original post by Ed209

or are you expected to live in the mess?

Or whatever accommodation they provide you - yes.
Reply 491
Thanks ProStacker; so another 26 weeks (on top of the 30 weeks IOT) living away from the "other half".
Does your other half not work? Dragging someone to the wilds of Northumberland for 6 months them possibly moving again after would not be a great idea anyway. Wait until you find out where you'll be for your first posting before you make longer term plans. Just so you know - the Armed Forces are far less understanding of 'girlfriend / boyfriend' than they are of 'husband / wife / legal partner' and having an 'other half' will count for nothing - in their eyes you are single.
Reply 493
Phase 2 training is not an exact science, and with ABM courses usually only having 4-6 students on them it doesn't take long for for a lack of live flying or other students needing extra training to cause a backlog. Although I believe its not as much as an issue now, it was common for students to have a gap after the foundation course and be sent out as a holding officer to wait for the next training space.

I can't remember students living out during the course, I'd wait until you start your first tour at Boulmer or Scampton.
Reply 494
It's also not as bad as you make out, not as if you're not going to see them for 56 weeks. A good half of the weekends on IOT are free so that, if you're close, you can easily go home if you want. And that's before the events where your other half would be invited to attend as your guest.
Reply 495
Good point ProStacker.

Interesting stuff Pending; excuse my current ignorance, but by "phase 2 training" do you mean the second phase of the 26 week ABM trade training, with "foundation course" being the first part of the 26 week ABM trade training?

Since you put it like that Drewski.....:-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 496
Original post by Ed209
Good point ProStacker.

Interesting stuff Pending; excuse my current ignorance, but by "phase 2 training" do you mean the second phase of the 26 week ABM trade training, with "foundation course" being the first part of the 26 week ABM trade training?

Since you put it like that Drewski.....:-)

IOT = 'Basic' or 'Phase 1' training.
Role specific training = 'Phase 2', whether it be flying, engineer, intelligence, supply, ABM, ATC, etc

And don't forget that IOT is split into 3 terms, in between each you get a period of leave [now 3 weeks, I believe?].
Reply 497
Original post by Drewski
And don't forget that IOT is split into 3 terms, in between each you get a period of leave [now 3 weeks, I believe?].

Current standard is 2 although at some points it can be more.
Reply 498
I was told by my AFCO that it was 1 weeks leave between each term? Along the lines of the following...

IOT - Term 1 (1 week leave) Term 2 (1 week leave) Term 3 (undefined leave)

Apparently leave after Term 3 is undefined as you may have a week or so off, or you may literally go straight to trade training (Boulmer)
Reply 499
Original post by halton
I was told by my AFCO that it was 1 weeks leave between each term? Along the lines of the following...

IOT - Term 1 (1 week leave) Term 2 (1 week leave) Term 3 (undefined leave)

Apparently leave after Term 3 is undefined as you may have a week or so off, or you may literally go straight to trade training (Boulmer)

It used to be 1, but as I left they were talking of upping it to 2 or 3. In another thread somebody talked of the "3 week gap between terms 2 and 3" being used for remedial leadership training.

And then there has always been a longer break over Christmas, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest