The Student Room Group

Law with hong kong law :)

Anyone currently studying/ want to apply for law with hong kong law at uni? I'm in lower sixth and really interested in the course and wondered if any of you could tell me anything about it, thanks!
Original post by isabella_C
Anyone currently studying/ want to apply for law with hong kong law at uni? I'm in lower sixth and really interested in the course and wondered if any of you could tell me anything about it, thanks!

I'm in the same position, looking to apply for the Law with a year in Hong Kong with Kent uni. Has anyone done this?
Reply 2
seems to be pretty rare according to the lack of reponses haha :/
Original post by isabella_C
seems to be pretty rare according to the lack of reponses haha :/

I agree, anyone out there?!
Reply 4
I remember reading that the best route to practising law in HK is to go to a top English law school, work for a top law firm which has business in HK and then hopefully make the move. As far as I'm aware HK law isn't really different to English anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Zedd
I remember reading that the best route to practising law in HK is to go to a top English law school, work for a top law firm which has business in HK and then hopefully make the move. As far as I'm aware HK law isn't really different to English anyway.

As far as I know (I live in Hong Kong), Hong Kong law is very different from English law. Although there is a common law system in Hong Kong, the ordinances and cases are very different.

And no, the best way to practise in Hong Kong is not to go into a top UK university and then into an international solicitor's firm in the UK and hope for a transfer. With all the conversion exams and the intense protectionism of the professions in Hong Kong, the best way is to get into a qualifying law degree in Hong Kong.

One also has to note that the Kent English law and Hong Kong law degree doesn't qualify him/her to enter the LPC/BPTC equivalent in Hong Kong.
Reply 6
Original post by darkccc
As far as I know (I live in Hong Kong), Hong Kong law is very different from English law. Although there is a common law system in Hong Kong, the ordinances and cases are very different.

And no, the best way to practise in Hong Kong is not to go into a top UK university and then into an international solicitor's firm in the UK and hope for a transfer. With all the conversion exams and the intense protectionism of the professions in Hong Kong, the best way is to get into a qualifying law degree in Hong Kong.

One also has to note that the Kent English law and Hong Kong law degree doesn't qualify him/her to enter the LPC/BPTC equivalent in Hong Kong.

Fair enough. My initial thought regarding HK law was what you've just suggested but after asking around the feedback from some in HK is to do it via the way that I just mentioned. The JD would also be an option I suppose.
Reply 7
hey guys i've applied for Law at University of Sheffield that offers a 3rd year abroad to the Chinese University of Hong Kong. is this okay if i want to go to HK and become a lawyer etc ?

i'd like to work for a top law firm such as Slaughter and May
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Aside from the name of the uni.. It depends on your grades and ec! If you got connections or your family is some sort of big tycoon family, even better!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by roughy_ruff
Aside from the name of the uni.. It depends on your grades and ec! If you got connections or your family is some sort of big tycoon family, even better!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

my family is from HK and me and my parents go back there during the summer but unfortunately none of us are big tycoons :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm going into Bristol Law this October and planning on doing a year abroad during 3rd year in Hong Kong! You can network and study law for a year at HKU. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by tdkr
hey guys i've applied for Law at University of Sheffield that offers a 3rd year abroad to the Chinese University of Hong Kong. is this okay if i want to go to HK and become a lawyer etc ?

i'd like to work for a top law firm such as Slaughter and May

From what I know, CUHK's law is pretty new and is still not considered to be an acclaimed law course even though its website implies otherwise - there has yet to be any students who attained the position of partner at any top law firm such as Slaughter and May, local and international firms alike.

With the large amount of more capable students from HKU law, I doubt CUHK could garner prestige in a short period of time though.
Reply 12
Original post by darkccc
From what I know, CUHK's law is pretty new and is still not considered to be an acclaimed law course even though its website implies otherwise - there has yet to be any students who attained the position of partner at any top law firm such as Slaughter and May, local and international firms alike.

With the large amount of more capable students from HKU law, I doubt CUHK could garner prestige in a short period of time though.

ouch! :/
Reply 13
I am currently studying the CUHK LLB. CUHK's law course is an acclaimed law course in Hong Kong recognised by top magic circle firms, and city firms. I have recently been offered TC placements with 2 magic circle firms, and I know many students in my year have also been offered TCs with big city law firms. CUHK has also done very well in international moot competitions winning prizes. Some graduates are also good enough to be accepted into the BCL programme in Oxford, and LLM in Cambridge.

Even though it is a relatively new law school, its reputation has really gone up in these few years. Most importantly, it is a very very friendly law school -everyone helps each other out!
I'm looking to to that as well :biggrin: I've applied to Sheffield, Southampton and Kent for it (:
I'm curious though whether I can go and work in hong kong in the future if I want to. I mean I've always found there culture and history so interesting, I'm going to even be attempting to learn Mandarin and Cantonese during my Gap year :biggrin:
Reply 15
Is anyone applying to King's Law with Hong Kong Law LLB degree??? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest